Dragon dictate Mac v6 - scrivener specific support?!

na
naquada
Platform: Mac

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:37 am Post

Saw a posting on a other writing group in the USA about dragon dictate v6 for Mac coming along in September, the interesting bit is that specifically meant ions support for scrivener (which was listed along with the "big" applications like word, pages etc

http://www.nuance.co.uk/for-individuals ... /index.htm

Anyone at l&l know what specifically support they have put in?
Associate of The Inner Magic Circle

Hu
Hugh

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:22 pm Post

I wondered, too, when I saw this somewhere in Nuance's promotional material. But I suspect that we'll satisfy our curiosity more effectively through Nuance (who, after all, have had to adapt their software and who are doing the promoting) than through L&L. Probably.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

xiamenese

Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:09 pm Post

I saw it too about a couple of weeks ago and intended to post about it, but other important family things took over. I agree with Hugh, any further information is more likely to come from Nuance rather than L&L.

I'm unlikely to be interested, even at the introductory offer. I've had a licence for Dragon for a number of years, but never got round to using it. But we'll see … with old age creeping relentlessly forward and my tremor getting gradually worse, dictation might be the way to go, though I'd definitely have a learning curve to negotiate.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

na
naquada

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:41 pm Post

that was my next port of call.. but i've always found them rather hard to get answers out of... I guess it seemed odd (but good) that scrivener was listed there along with the big guns... not that scrivener isn't... but its a nice feather in the cap.. ;)

I have issues with my speech currently.. so ironically dictating might well be much slower for me... I guess i keep looking at it in the hope one day it might be something i can use again.. ;)

Hu
Hugh

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:11 am Post

naquada wrote:that was my next port of call.. but i've always found them rather hard to get answers out of...

That was the reason in my answer for "... probably". (I've always believed that they could learn a thing or two from L&L. :) ) But in any case the new version will be available for download in a couple of days, so I guess we'll soon know.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:54 pm Post

Oof! That's expensive. No playing with voice recognition for me, then. :( I'll just have to stick with the Mac's dictation facility (which isn't doing too bad a job these days, actually.)
Literature & Latte support team

Hu
Hugh

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:27 pm Post

Siren wrote:Oof! That's expensive. No playing with voice recognition for me, then. :( I'll just have to stick with the Mac's dictation facility (which isn't doing too bad a job these days, actually.)

Yes, Dragon and its upgrades are expensive by the standards of software prices today (though perhaps not those of twenty years ago). And of course, expensive by comparison with OSX's own dictation facility, which I believe uses Dragon technology. But for not-so-fast-typists like me, DD's additional bells and whistles and up-to-date technology permitting faster and more accurate rendition can be worth its not inconsiderable fee.

mi
mikehawkes

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:19 am Post

I have now downloaded and installed the latest version – and it contains nothing specific to Scrivener per se. The marketing text suggests that DragonDictate will give you some additional Scrivener support - however, in reality, it just means that DragonDictate will give you a better environment than in unsupported applications. Basically, DragonDictate maintains a cache for supported applications to enable cursor control, typing and dictation better than in unsupported applications:

From the help text
Dragon allows you to dictate text in virtually any application. In order to use commands such as Select <text> or Correct <word>, Dragon needs to know where your cursor is within the document. In some applications, including Microsoft Word 2011 or 2016, Microsoft Outlook 2016, and TextEdit, Dragon can always get that information, even if you use your keyboard and mouse to change text while you are dictating. Some applications, however, do not allow Dragon to find out whether you have moved your cursor. If you dictate in these applications, avoid using your mouse or keyboard.

So there you have it ... Scrivener supports selection and cursor movement. Good news, but nothing stunning!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 12.11.43.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 12.11.43.png (43.12 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

na
naquada

Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 pm Post

thanks... back to typing then ;)

Hu
Hugh