From Aliases to Real files

es
especiale
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:59 am Post

I am moving one project from desktop to Dropbox to sync with iOs Scrivener. In this project I have several pdf imported in Research with Import Research Files as Aliases. How do I locate these files on my hard disk? It seems that there is no indication or way in Scrivener to see the path of aliases. Is there an easy way to trasform these aliases into real files inside a Scrivener project? Or should I do it manually import them one by one?
Thanks.
Emilio Speciale

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:38 am Post

If you click the "app" button in the footer bar below the research, or use the `Ctrl-Cmd-O` shortcut, that will load the original off of the disk. Once you have a document open on a Mac, you can nearly always identify its location by Cmd-clicking on the name of the document in the title bar. Additionally, the *icon* on the title bar acts as a proxy for the file itself, meaning you can drag that somewhere to move it, copy it, or import it into your Binder.

So it's still manual and one-by-one, but that's how aliases work best I can tell. I'm not even aware of a way to do that in general.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

es
especiale

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 am Post

Thanks Amber for the quick answer.

In other softwares (for instance in DevonThink) there are two control click choices very useful for aliases: Show in finder and Move to database. Maybe in the future Scrivener will have such functions.

Thanks.
Have a nice day
Emilio Speciale

AmberV

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:14 pm Post

Could you please explain how to see this in DEVONthink? I was not aware of the fact that it worked with aliases at all. When I import aliases through ordinary means, the original file is imported fully, and I see no way to create an alias specifically from within the software to an external resource.
Ioa Petra'ka

es
especiale

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:01 am Post

Sorry. I was talking about Indexing which is, in Devonian jargon, as having an alias in your database. In DevonThink File->Index and choose your file. This way the file is not "really" stored in your database. If you want to store it just right click on its icon and choose Show in Finder or Move into Database.

Have a nice day.
Emilio Speciale

AmberV

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:02 pm Post

Ah I see, so these are a lot more like References in Scrivener, in that they are a static link pointing to a path, meaning that if the original is moved or renamed the whole thing breaks. We could have gone that way as well (though as mentioned References already do that), but genuine aliases give us the more robust deep link to the file rather than its file system address.

Well I'll put it on the list, but I really can't make any promises. Like I say I don't think the technology itself would be conducive to that capability.
Ioa Petra'ka