Invalid project error with 2.8 (and also iOS)

Ju
JuryDuty
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:18 pm Post

lunk wrote:You must have done something more than just upgrade to 2.8. If you hade 2.7 before and the only thing you've done is to upgrade to 2.8 there is no way all your Scrivener projects would have been corrupted simultaneously by the upgrade of Scrivener.

So think back. What else have you done on your desktop? If you don't get the Show Package Content option when you ctrl-click, it's not a Package. Have you been moving files in way that the packages were destroyed?

No "Hey you were right--that WAS Finder?!" :lol: Just kidding. I appreciate you sticking with me.

OK, I think you're correct about this. Something happened when I moved my files. I moved them to the desktop in preparation to put them in Dropbox to use with iOS Scrivener and something happened on the trip.

So, I've gone back and pulled backups. When I move those to my desktop, I was able to get them to open in Scrivener 2.8 and convert over.

I see that moving them directly into Dropbox directly isn't the answer; Dropbox is adding a ZIP extension to them too.

I appreciate the help, guys. I'll check for the steps to this next solution, which I'm sure is in the help files. Thanks again!

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:21 pm Post

Ah... you made that mistake that others did? You moved the files from their location in Finder onto the Dropbox app?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:24 pm Post

lunk wrote:Ah... you made that mistake that others did? You moved the files from their location in Finder onto the Dropbox app?

Yes. I don't know why these cloud services change the file and don't see it like we do on the desktop. That level of coding is beyond me...

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:27 pm Post

If you move a complete package onto the app it interprets it as a wish from you to zip it, that's all. If you only wanted to move the files, the app expects you to use Finder's drag and drop within Finder, and not bother the Dropbox app.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm Post

lunk wrote:If you move a complete package onto the app it interprets it as a wish from you to zip it, that's all. If you only wanted to move the files, the app expects you to use Finder's drag and drop within Finder, and not bother the Dropbox app.

That makes sense. Appreciated.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:37 pm Post

Good luck with the writing on the mobile! :)