Invalid project error with 2.8 (and also iOS)

Ju
JuryDuty
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:27 pm Post

OK so I've upgraded my desktop to 2.8 and bought the iOS version. When I try to open ANY of my Scrivener files, I get this error on my desktop. This is before I tried to sync anything with Dropbox.

When I move one of these files to Dropbox, and try to open in iOS, I get this error message in iOS:

Invalid project.
The project cannot be opened because it does not contain a valid binder structure file.
OK

Any ideas?? :?:

(PS Sorry I posted this originally in another thread in the iOS forum, but think it fits better here.)

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:29 pm Post

Have you followed the instructions in the dialog and ctrl-clicked on the file in Finder, etc?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:38 pm Post

lunk wrote:Have you followed the instructions in the dialog and ctrl-clicked on the file in Finder, etc?

When I ctrl-click on it in Finder, there's no option to view the contents. When I option-click, there's not there either.

If I change the extension to ZIP, then I can unpack and see the contents, and I see there's a "binder.autosave" and "binder.backup" file under Files, but that's it. I tried changing the binder.backup to binder.scriv, rezipping, re-changing the extension, but that didn't work either.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:41 pm Post

And you are ctrl+Clicking on the *.scriv "file"?
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:47 pm Post

lunk wrote:And you are ctrl+Clicking on the *.scriv "file"?

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 pm Post

You're not in Finder.
At the bottom you have "Reveal in Finder".
So, where are you looking at the files?

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:02 pm Post

lunk wrote:You're not in Finder.
At the bottom you have "Reveal in Finder".
So, where are you looking at the files?

I am in Finder. When I click "Reveal in Finder" the dialog just goes away and shows me the Finder box I'm looking in.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:11 pm Post

The dialog box in where?

Open Finder, navigate to the correct folder and Ctrl+click the scriv package. If you refuse to follow instructions it's impossible to help you.

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:15 pm Post

lunk wrote:The dialog box in where?

Open Finder, navigate to the correct folder and Ctrl+click the scriv package. If you refuse to follow instructions it's impossible to help you.

Friend, I don't think you understand. Here's the steps I'm taking:
1. Finder: File/New Finder Window
2. Click on Documents
3. Control-click on the scriv file
4. The image you see above
5. If I click on "Reveal in Finder" it shows me the same window I'm in.

If you know Mac, you know the screenshot above is clearly in Finder. If you see I'm doing something wrong, feel free to tell me where.

Here's a clearer image that proves I'm in Finder if that helps:

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:21 pm Post

No, the screen shot is not from Finder, because Finder never has a Reveal in Finder option. It looks as some kind of Open file dialog, from some other app. So where did you start, to come to that first dialog in your screen shot? Inside which app? It's definitely not Finder.

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:24 pm Post

If you are unsure where you are, click Reveal in Finder! :)

Then you will undoubtedly end up inside Finder and can ctrl-click the same file.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm Post

lunk wrote:No, the screen shot is not from Finder, because Finder never has a Reveal in Finder option. It looks as some kind of Open file dialog, from some other app. So where did you start, to come to that first dialog in your screen shot? Inside which app? It's definitely not Finder.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. You can add services via scripts that are titled whatever the author of the script decided to title them... including "Reveal in Finder". The proof that JD is in the finder is at the top of the last screenshot; the menu bar doesn't lie.

JuryDuty wrote:
lunk wrote:Have you followed the instructions in the dialog and ctrl-clicked on the file in Finder, etc?

When I ctrl-click on it in Finder, there's no option to view the contents. When I option-click, there's not there either.

If I change the extension to ZIP, then I can unpack and see the contents, and I see there's a "binder.autosave" and "binder.backup" file under Files, but that's it. I tried changing the binder.backup to binder.scriv, rezipping, re-changing the extension, but that didn't work either.

I think this is key; you've managed to produce a zip-compressed archive with a .scriv extension. Choose "Get Info" from the Finder's pop-up menu (as seen in your screenshot), and it will hopefully identify it correctly. What you need to do is to extract the contents of the .zip version of the project. Don't re-zip it after doing anything. No version of Scrivener can work with a zip-compressed project, even if if that compressed project lacks a .zip extension.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:47 pm Post

lunk wrote:No, the screen shot is not from Finder, because Finder never has a Reveal in Finder option. It looks as some kind of Open file dialog, from some other app. So where did you start, to come to that first dialog in your screen shot? Inside which app? It's definitely not Finder.

For your viewing pleasure: https://youtu.be/UDA3g8U_Eko

Ju
JuryDuty

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:53 pm Post

rdale wrote:I think this is key; you've managed to produce a zip-compressed archive with a .scriv extension. Choose "Get Info" from the Finder's pop-up menu (as seen in your screenshot), and it will hopefully identify it correctly. What you need to do is to extract the contents of the .zip version of the project. Don't re-zip it after doing anything. No version of Scrivener can work with a zip-compressed project, even if if that compressed project lacks a .zip extension.

So when I choose Get Info, it says it's a Scrivener file. If I change it to ZIP extension, and choose Get Info, it still says it's Scrivener but still can't open it. If I unarchive it, I can see all the files, but of course, it seems unusable then...

I wonder if something happened in my backup that did something to these. It's just weird because ALL my Scrivener files are behaving this way since I moved to 2.8.

(Note that I don't keep my documents under "Documents" which is why you see nothing but the one file there in the video above. I moved it there for ease of seeing when recording the video.)

lunk

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:09 pm Post

You must have done something more than just upgrade to 2.8. If you hade 2.7 before and the only thing you've done is to upgrade to 2.8 there is no way all your Scrivener projects would have been corrupted simultaneously by the upgrade of Scrivener.

So think back. What else have you done on your desktop? If you don't get the Show Package Content option when you ctrl-click, it's not a Package. Have you been moving files in way that the packages were destroyed?