jkappl

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:56 am Post

I use 24 pt Bold XX_1 font for document titles
I use 18 pt Bold XX_2 font for Chapter titles
I use 14 pt Bold XX_3 font for Section titles
I use 12 pt plain XX_4 font for text

Is there any way to ask scrivener to give me a simple set
of formatting styles to use

Right now I can only associate a style with folders, or with files or with text.
using the compile draft dialogs. This is too small a set.

Any help ?

MarcustheBlacksmith

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:51 am Post

Hi,

Scrivener isn't really suited to the sort of formatting you're asking for - hierarchical headings, and so on. Rather, Scrivener is intended for building the content, exporting the draft, and then performing layout (such as heading styles and paragraph styles and such) in an application dedicated to the purpose.

(such as Pages, Word, Mellel, or InDesign, etc)

So I'm afraid it's bad news - being that Scrivener is a creative writing application (although it's used for a lot more by many people), it's unlikely that Keith will implement features that move it away from it's core focus (creative writing/novels) to a technical or report writing focus.

That being said, with its outliner and synopsis features, it makes a pretty good tool for writing and managing the content of reports - you can organise your chapters in folders, use sub-folders for sub-chapters, and so on. Using preserve-formatting on the folders would allow you to label them as '5.3 Sub-title' or so on. Then, when you export you have labels throughout your manuscript which can be easily re-styled in Pages or Word into proper heading styles.

cy
cyberbryce

Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:38 am Post

jkappl wrote:Is there any way to ask scrivener to give me a simple set
of formatting styles to use

If it's just a few varieties of consistent formatting you're after, to save time in the Word processor, you can customize the "OS X" text system "Styles" popup menu that appears in the Ruler. See below for a description. Once I have this menu, it only takes a second to format the headings for technical articles with multiple levels of structure. For a given section of a document, I create a document container whose children in the outline are the subsections (I find it works better to use the "File" not the "Folder" object as the container), and type the title text in that container. I then use the "Styles" pop-up menu in the ruler to give the title the appropriate character and paragraph format. Sorry if this is not what you're after.

To customize the "OS X" text system "Styles" pop-up (which is misnamed but I think still essential for quick custom-styling of text): First, select Text > Ruler > Show Ruler. Then, create a few examples of styles in a single document using the Fonts palette (Text > Fonts > Show Fonts) to set the font and character format and the Ruler to set paragraph spacing, tabs and margins. Once you have done this, select "Other..." from the "Styles" pop-up menu on the ruler. Navigate using the controller buttons through the styles in your document and click "Add to Favorites" to add these to the Styles popup menu.

When you use these short cuts to apply formatting to text (and ultimately export your file to a word processor) you won't get styles in the sense of word processors like Nisus, Mellel, or Word, which store a style sheet in the document as a logical structure that can be remapped in a top-down operation. However, those applications each offer ways to select text with a consistent format and reformat it, create a new text style, or map it onto an existing style. Thus having consistent formatting in your draft can get you pretty far.

There are other ways to do the same thing in a more structured way (and one that therefore can be directly translated into LaTeX) using MultiMarkdown, but I'll leave that to a user who is proficient with that...