Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:12 pm Post

When I create a numbered list in Word it looks like this:

1. Item
2. Item
a) Item
b) Item
i) Item

Note the way that different numbering schemes come into play at different levels of indentation.

However, when I try to do the same thing in Scrivener only the top level of the list is numbered; subsequent levels are just dashes. How can I get Scrivener to number ever level of a numbered list?

Br
Briar Kit

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:32 pm Post

Hi

Just use the list picker to select the format you want for each level.

Short video here:
https://youtu.be/bXSVygfkWOk

levels.png

Best

Briar Kit
Last edited by Briar Kit on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Account closed January 2017

ga
gairmscoile

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:37 pm Post

Thanks! Is there any way to do this automatically, though, or even to save it as a format once I've set it up? Setting up for every new list is pretty fiddly.

Br
Briar Kit

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:52 pm Post

gairmscoile wrote:Thanks! Is there any way to do this automatically, though, or even to save it as a format once I've set it up? Setting up for every new list is pretty fiddly.

Hi

Not that I know of. Hope someone else can help.

Best

Briar Kit

For anyone looking for help with lists, short video here:
https://youtu.be/bXSVygfkWOk
Account closed January 2017

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:55 am Post

There are symbolic placeholder tags for auto-numbering that are designed for various purposes. Look at the Placeholder Tags List under the Help menu in Scriv to get an idea of what your resources are.

There are autonumering placeholder tags that get replaced with iterated numbers, upper or lowercase letters, upper or lowercase Roman numerals. The only trick is that their hierarchical relations are not predefined, which means they increment independently of each other. Practically speaking, then the extra thin you must do is use a reset placeholder to restart each subnumbering at the appropriate places. Example placeholders: <$n>, <$l>, <$r>.

As for the formatting -- which is here just different levels of indentation, you should just define a set of custom paragraph formatting presets and then assign key commands to them -- that is how I do it.

Just a thought.

Greg

Ju
JustTryingToWrite
Platform: Windows

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:24 pm Post

I NEED LISTS - AND NESTED ONES.

The videos posted in the thread above are 404.

Does anyone here know of a way to make Scrivener do the very simple task of a numbered list - with bulletted items within the numbered items?

I am incredulous that a supposed "writing tool" can't do this.

I'm :twisted: that I've paid money and invested time trying to learn this unnecessarily complicated software - that seems unable to do this SIMPLE thing.

If the software can't do this simple thing, does anyone here have a suggestion of a REAL writing tool that does?

Thanks.

kewms

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:15 am Post

What are you attempting to do, and what is happening?

What should be happening:

* Select desired list style from Format -> Lists picker. Type item.

* To get another item at that level, hit return. To get a nested list, hit return, then tab.

* To change the numbering format of the nested list, choose from the Format -> Lists picker again. Type item.

* Continue as needed. To increase the nesting, hit Tab. To decrease it, Delete. To end the current list, hit Return a second time.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

rl
rlfsoso

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 pm Post

Hi I am fairly new to Scrivener, actually starting with version3 in earnest.

How do I get (by standard) in compile (automagically) lists which are following this example:

1. Text
2. Text
3. Text
(indented) 3.1 (Sub)Text
3.2 (Sub)Text
4. Text
4.1 (Sub)Text

I would not bother in my writing manually setting things up/and or numbering but want a template applied which does all this automatically for me. I donot want to include in my manuscript Placeholder tags to set this up as it is a bit much.

I seem not to be able to define a list style which does this automatically (which then would end up properly in compile), at least so far I have been unsuccessful with this.

To compare: when writing in LaTeX I define a list and in compile this is applied according to document type, afaik Scrivener would follow this with compile. Are there other Templates available than the built in?

Thank you (not complaining as such just wrapping my mind around all this)

R.

kewms

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 pm Post

rlfsoso wrote:Hi I am fairly new to Scrivener, actually starting with version3 in earnest.

How do I get (by standard) in compile (automagically) lists which are following this example:

1. Text
2. Text
3. Text
(indented) 3.1 (Sub)Text
3.2 (Sub)Text
4. Text
4.1 (Sub)Text

I would not bother in my writing manually setting things up/and or numbering but want a template applied which does all this automatically for me. I donot want to include in my manuscript Placeholder tags to set this up as it is a bit much.

Exactly what level of "magic" are you looking for? Scrivener has no way of knowing that you want a list or sub-list unless you tell it, and the normal time to do that would be when you are writing the document. You can do it either by including Markdown tags or by using the RTF List tools; which is best is going to depend on your comfort with Markdown and what you ultimately want to do with the draft. But you're never going to be able to get away from the need to say to Scrivener "this is a list, format it *this* way."

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

rl
rlfsoso

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 am Post

Hi Katherine,

thanks for your reply. I thought, when choosing (the standard) list format this would have some impact on how this is rendered in compile, the way controlled by the template. Nevertheless, Fair enough.

Next related question: I seem to have difficulties to set up a paragraph-style sheet for numbering lists, which I can apply to a list (analog to title, sub title etc.).

I have formatted my list as I want it and tried to save it as a (paragraph) style both with selecting the line with paragraph symbol and just putting the cursor in the line. (see screenshots 01 and 02 below). In both cases the create paragraph style from selection is greyed out…

screenshot 01.png
screenshot 01.png (441.43 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

screen shot 02.png
screen shot 02.png (380.83 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

How would I set up a paragraph style which includes the list parameters as I like them, working across several sub levels (3.0, 3.1, 3.1.1) so I can just select the paragraph style from the paragraph style window (sorry German system, says "Formatvorlagen").

Thank You. Rolf

kewms

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 am Post

What aspect of the formatting are you trying to save? You can define a way to format an already numbered/bulleted paragraph, but you can't define a style that will turn a standard paragraph into a list. See this thread for more discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40703

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Shunyata

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 am Post

I'm not sure if I should open a new Topic Thread for this one. It is related to the subject matter of the current thread but the issue is distinct. Forum Admin, please advise as to the best practice for this situation for future reference.

You see, Im also running into some trouble with formatting nested list in the Binder Doc Edit View.

The scenario is that, I've chosen a numbered list which works fine for single paragraph numbered items.When the numbered list items include multi paragraphs, I use the tab to increase the indent to changed the num to bullets or whatever.

The problem is that the serial function of the original numbered list is broken. When I add a new number listed item following a nested paragraph it formats a new list beginning with the number 1.

NOTE: I can tweet this behaviour by deleting the paragraph break and then reapplying it. However, this quickly turns whacky because the paragraph(s) serialised string begins applying ad-hock indentation that degrades the more you tweak it. , Instead of just effecting the focused paragraph the format of preceding, (numbered or nested double indented) paragraphs are effected and their format runs a-mock.

The following Screen Shot shows the first level of funcky'ness. Notice the last paragraph indent behaviour.
Nested Paragraphs 1.png
Nested Paragraphs 1.png (222.63 KiB) Viewed 5364 times

In the following screen shot you will see that when I remove the List Style by choosing None in the Tool Bar. The preceding, nested list items loose their formatting.
Nested Paragraphs 2.png
Nested Paragraphs 2.png (137.41 KiB) Viewed 5364 times

I believe that you can replicate this behaviour, so I won't visually document the string of 'funky'ness that follows on from this point. Suffice it to say, that trying to fix up the formatting leads into a rabbit hole of further funk, and my list is all but destroyed.

Please Advise

Je
JennaAvery

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:26 pm Post

Shunyata wrote:The problem is that the serial function of the original numbered list is broken. When I add a new number listed item following a nested paragraph it formats a new list beginning with the number 1.

Were you ever able to solve this problem? I'm running into it too.

Shunyata

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 pm Post

No Jenna, I haven't been able to solve the problem as of yet.

I'm just staying away from nested lists as much as possible for the time being.

JennaAvery wrote:
Shunyata wrote:The problem is that the serial function of the original numbered list is broken. When I add a new number listed item following a nested paragraph it formats a new list beginning with the number 1.

Were you ever able to solve this problem? I'm running into it too.

Ma
Maelduin

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 pm Post

I have a similar but perhaps simpler problem. I'm teaching a 10-week course, and have numbered the weeks, with each week having a description of what I do in the class.
The problem is the Hallowe'en break. I'm up to class number 6. Then there should be a break for the next week, and after that, it should be class number 7. But how can I do this?