El Capitan 10.11.2 crash on loading project to Full Screen

jt
jtell
Platform: Mac

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 pm Post

Hi guys -- major problems here since I upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.2 yesterday. Scrivener keeps crashing on open. I have successfully opened a new file, but none of my existing files will open. Haven't updated my iMac, it's on 10.11.1, and all is working fine.

The machine having issues is a Mac Air, and it happened almost immediately after I upgraded to the new OS. I have deleted from the machine and done a clean install, and that didn't help.

Would love to hear some suggestions... thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:06 am Post

The software seems to be running okay with 10.11.2 for me, it must be a problem with the machine or maybe even just your user account. It’s really hard to say without any information though. Do you have crash logs or console error messages from your attempts to load existing projects? Can you think of anything you typically do when setting up a working project, such as adding composition mode backdrops, importing web pages, PDFs, etc?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

jt
jtell

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:43 am Post

Hi Amber,

I submitted multiple reports while the problem was ongoing. I'm using my account just fine on the machine that wasn't upgraded. I wasn't doing anything new or different, just opening my current project. It wouldn't open, so I sent the crash logs. There should be a number of them from this afternoon.

I was able to open a brand new project with no issue.

This happened yesterday, and I was able to get my current WIP open after about ten tries. Worked in it, saved it, dropboxed it, then today, nothing. Crashed every time.

The only thing new if the software update.

lu
lucouto

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:58 am Post

I'm experiencing the same thing today. You will find attached the crash report from Console. The crash happened when launching Scrivener for the first time after updated to 10.11.2. So, Scrivener tries to open my last project. After some crashes, Scrivener finally opens so I could close the old project and start a new one... Now, when I launch Scrivener, it opens fine and my new project appears.
Attachments
Scrivener_2015-12-12-093844_MacBook-AirLC.txt
(56.68 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

ma
marcoiac

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:04 pm Post

lucouto wrote:I'm experiencing the same thing today. You will find attached the crash report from Console. The crash happened when launching Scrivener for the first time after updated to 10.11.2. So, Scrivener tries to open my last project. After some crashes, Scrivener finally opens so I could close the old project and start a new one... Now, when I launch Scrivener, it opens fine and my new project appears.

I have experienced the same thing a few times when upgrading El Cap to a new release. I am in the beta program and can't even remember which version of El Cap I am running. Generally it's only one or two crashes before the issue solves itself. I even started a thread on this. The culprit seems something to do with the address book (judging from the console error messages)

ma
matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:32 pm Post

Experienced this a couple of times. Didn't realise it might have something to do with the Capitan upgrade. After re-booting the machine Scrivener seems to open and close in the normal way.
Scribo ergo sum

Qlibet

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:38 am Post

The same. No crash for new projects.
Attachments
Scrivener crash 2015-12-13.txt
(56.7 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:05 pm Post

The two crash reports I see refer to what appears to be some low level drawing stuff, probably trying to create the project window. Since new projects open fine, and the software starts working after a reboot or two, it’s probably a transient bug with the OS X updater. If a simple reboot doesn’t work, I’d run some routine maintenance with Onyx or similar.

Regarding address book, I don’t see anything about that in these two crash reports, so that’s probably something different. I’d start with disabling Scrivener’s Contacts access in the privacy system preference pane. A small number of people using 10.11 have reported having this enabled slows down Scrivener to an unusable state. So we already know that system component can be unstable, might as well eliminate it from the equation and see if that resolves things.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

wl
wlloydw

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:32 pm Post

I have not logged in since upgrading to El Cap and now my Scrivener crashes on every attempt to open.

Crash Report attached.
Attachments
ScrivenerCrashReport.pdf
(107.7 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

Qlibet

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:40 pm Post

Update. Scrivener 2.7 with OS X 10.11.1 and the same project (100 MB) works correctly in my Macbook unibody late 2008 (8 GB RAM). Also it works fine in 10.11.2 for NEW projects on my Mac mini late 2012 (8GB RAM). Only NEW projects. IMHO, this is an incompatibility of Scrivener 2.7 with the latest OSX update, but it affects only old projects. :?

Qlibet

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:54 pm Post

AmberV wrote:If a simple reboot doesn’t work, I’d run some routine maintenance with Onyx or similar.
Regarding address book, I don’t see anything about that in these two crash reports, so that’s probably something different. I’d start with disabling Scrivener’s Contacts access in the privacy system preference pane.

Scrivener’s Contacts access is always disabled in my computer. I have also executed Onyx before my report: repair permission, scripts and cache.

wl
wlloydw

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:58 pm Post

I am unable to open a new project, because it keeps trying to load the current project I want to work on and crashes. Is there not a work around or fix?

rayl

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:37 pm Post

One approach that seems to work for me is as follows:

When Scrivener crashes, click "Reopen" and hopefully it will do so.

In Preferences, under the General Tab, un-check "Reopen projects that were open on quit".

Then close and reopen Scrivener and with luck, you should be able to select your existing project from the recently open list.

I hope that works for you.

Ray

kewms

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:21 pm Post

You can start Scrivener without any projects by holding the Shift key while launching the program. That's the "official" way to avoid getting "stuck" when Scrivener wants to auto-launch a problem project.

Note that if only one project crashes but others are fine, there is probably some kind of corruption in that specific project.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

ev
evanleatherwood

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:45 pm Post

jtell wrote:Hi guys -- major problems here since I upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.2 yesterday. Scrivener keeps crashing on open. I have successfully opened a new file, but none of my existing files will open. Haven't updated my iMac, it's on 10.11.1, and all is working fine.

The machine having issues is a Mac Air, and it happened almost immediately after I upgraded to the new OS. I have deleted from the machine and done a clean install, and that didn't help.

Would love to hear some suggestions... thanks!

Hi all. I've encountered exactly the same problem as jtell. All my files crash Scrivener when I try to open them, and the only thing that's changed is my upgrade to El Capitan. This is happening for files I've made since the upgrade and files I've made before. Scrivener tells me they are open on another machine (which I know is impossible as my other machine has been off for 72 hours), prompts me to make a copy, and the crash cycle begins.

Has anybody found a solution to this problem?