Sudden loss of data

Ja
James Wilde

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:23 pm Post

I was working on a screenplay and had a large-ish scene nearly ready when suddenly I must have touched a key I was not intending to. There was a flash of activity and my whole scene was empty.

Now I need to find the copy which is saved during data entry. I hope I haven't wiped it. I closed the document at which time it saves a backup. Where does Scrivener save things during creation and am I likely to be able to find my data now?

TIA

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:01 pm Post

The most likely cause of something like this is a rogue text selection: You accidentally select a large chunk of text, type something, and *poof* it gets overwritten. A timely Undo command (Cmd-Z) is the best way to recover.

If it's too late for that, you can find Scrivener's automatic backup files by going to the Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups pane, and clicking the option to open the backup folder in Finder.

If the missing text was both created and deleted during the interval between backups, then unfortunately Scrivener may not have a copy. However, it would still be worthwhile to check your Time Machine volume or other backup software if you have one. Time Machine might have a copy of the text from the interval between when you created it (and Scrivener, presumably, saved it), and when it was accidentally deleted.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ja
James Wilde

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:53 pm Post

OK thanks. It's too late for Ctrl+Z but I'll have a look at Time Machine.