Using Scrivener with iCloud Drive

li
lindywarrell

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:28 am Post

Hi,
I found one discussion about this topic but it was a bit cryptic for me. I have used DropBox with Scrivener for some time but dropped back to the basic storage for financial reasons and I am now looking at using iCloud Drive which, I imagine, might be even easier with multiple Mac platforms.

Most people I know eschew clouds of any sort and want 'hard copies' but I love the facility of being able to work on any device - well, on the laptop and desktop until Scrivener gets the iPad under way for us - seamlessly.

Could you please advise if there are risks with iCloud Drive. Whether you would suggest DropBox more? any views at all really would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:21 am Post

Hey Lindy

In this post about the iOS version of Scrivener…
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29755&p=190829&hilit=icloud#p190829
… developer Keith says:

SarsenLintel - the iOS version won't support Handoff, unfortunately. We looked into it but currently Handoff won't work well with Scrivener. It also won't support iCloud out of the gate, as we chose to focus on Dropbox to begin with since we have to support cross-platform, but we'll be looking at other sync solutions once we're happy Dropbox is working smoothly post-1.0. The price is still planned to be in the $10-15 range, but this is subject to change.

So if you want to use the iOS version of Scrivener when first available, DropBox will be the only way forward.

And in this thread, there is some discussion about using iCloud drive between OS X machines:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29375&p=187895
Account closed January 2017

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote:Hey Lindy

SarsenLintel - the iOS version won't support Handoff, ...

Not fully awake yet. Seeing my name come up in a random thread I haven't participated in = "Huh? Wh--what's going on???" :shock: :o :shock:       :wink:

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:21 pm Post

SarsenLintel wrote:
Briar Kit wrote:Hey Lindy

SarsenLintel - the iOS version won't support Handoff, ...

Not fully awake yet. Seeing my name come up in a random thread I haven't participated in = "Huh? Wh--what's going on???" :shock: :o :shock:       :wink:

I must find a way of mentioning my research paper about the Sarsen lintel at Stonehenge into every thread I contribute to. ;)

xiamenese

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:02 pm Post

lindywarrell wrote:Could you please advise if there are risks with iCloud Drive. Whether you would suggest DropBox more? any views at all really would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

In its previous incarnation, iCloud was unusable with Scrivener; I don't know about iCloud Drive, but I would stick to Dropbox, or Cubby.

Rather than putting your Scrivener projects in iCloud Drive, I'd look into moving anything else you have in your Dropbox into iCloud Drive, reducing your Dropbox to the free 2GB and keeping it for your Scrivener projects.

Or actually, I'd open a Cubby account (5GB free space and various other advantages) and reserve that for Scrivener projects. In fact, currently, I have my active projects in Cubbies, with the backups being saved into Dropbox.

But as somebody said above, if you're interested in using the iOS version when it comes out, you're going to need to have those projects in Dropbox, at least to begin with. Whether iCloud Drive sync'ing will come along later, watch any posts from Keith, but I'm very hopeful Cubby will make it onto the list.

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:08 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote:
SarsenLintel wrote:

I must find a way of mentioning my research paper about the Sarsen lintel at Stonehenge into every thread I contribute to. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guilty, yeah, that's where it came from. I was playing an MMORPG and creating a new character for a vaguely anglo-saxon/nordic race and I wanted a name that sounded appropriate.

Usually I'd dive into history books for names, but I had been reading something about Stonehenge and so "Sarsen lintel? That sounds like a name..."

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:07 pm Post

And I assumed you were an archeologist. :P