Formatting preset changes - apply to whole document

wm
wmike1503
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:15 am Post

Hi,

I have been making changes to my document presets (for an existing document). For instance, changes to body, header font sizes.

Is there any way to apply these changes throughout the whole document, instead of manually going through the document?

I would have thought that changing a preset would result in it changing throughout the document - this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,

Mike

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:03 am Post

No, there's no way to do this - there's a reason they are called "presets" and not "styles". They are just formatting presets that save you having to apply the various options for each (bold, paragraph formatting and so on) individually, they are not styles that are encoded into the text. Real styles are planned for a future major update.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

wm
wmike1503

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:06 am Post

Now, that is a major limitation.

Not everyone gets it right the first time. I now have to go through a 100 page document to apply the presets. Not good.

xiamenese

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am Post

wmike1503 wrote:Now, that is a major limitation.

Not everyone gets it right the first time. I now have to go through a 100 page document to apply the presets. Not good.

Since Scrivener is a drafting tool, not a page make-up program or similar, a program where you can do your editing in Apple Braille if you want and compile it into Brush Script MT, and given the nature of Scrivener allowing you to split your project into as many chunks of however small you may wish so that you can move them round easily. And as each of those chunks is actually a separate file on disk and at any one time only a small number of them, perhaps even only one, may be loaded into memory, might it not be wise to think about the problems that programming a style-sheet system in such a context raises, before making such comments.

I actually think Keith and Co. are brave to be trying to work it out for version 3.

I personally leave sorting out styling minutiae to Nisus Writer Pro or Word or whatever. I merely use a different font or size or weight for the different presets, that way they can be dealt with easily at one go. Nothing else matters in Scrivener to me as that sorts it all out easily … that is until Keith has worked out how to do styles, then I might think again.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

wm
wmike1503

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:31 am Post

Well pardon me.

Be
Benjamine

Tue May 20, 2014 11:10 pm Post

This is useful to know, xiamenese. Your response indicates that this is something possibly slated for Scrivener 3? Although Scrivener is for drafting, I find it useful to have a general idea of what the document looks like. For instance, I just discovered that my college now requires 1.5 inch right margins for dissertations. That makes a huge difference to things like the number of pages for the document, which means I need to find a slightly smaller font (from those approved by the college). They've also slightly changed the indent and block quote guidelines, which means I have to change preset settings and apply them manually to around 200 pages. I won't do this, of course, I'll use Word. But for people like me who hate Word and don't really understand Mellel or Nisus, the less we have to use Word, the better!

li
lindywarrell

Tue May 20, 2014 11:29 pm Post

This conversation interests me because, much as I adore Scrivener for everything it provides, as a writer, I do love to see my preferred fonts and have a finished look onscreen. Sending a whole document to Word or similar just to format it easily is time consuming and you can't edit there or you have to reimport everything again. I would love the team to think about this as they continue refining.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 am Post

Benjamine wrote:__________________________________________________________________________________________
Although Scrivener is for drafting, I find it useful to have a general idea of what the document looks like.

Scrivener does not need to change much if all you want is the comfort of Times New Roman (or what have you) and margins. The software already has a Page View (check out the `View/Page View` sub-menu) mode that provides that aesthetic—as you described it: a general idea. If you really want to stare at an off-centre 1.5" margin all day while you write—go for it. :) That has been possible for years. That's exactly what the feature was designed for.

You may also consider not using the compiler to format your work at all. If you prefer writing "on paper", then just switch all of the fancy stuff off. Scrivener in its most basic form will merely glue your sections of text together end to end, precisely how they appear in the editor, to make your final singular document. With Page View, if you work that way, you'll be pretty close---certainly within how lindywarrell described: as "a finished look onscreen".

lindywarrell wrote:__________________________________________________________________________________________
Sending a whole document to Word or similar just to format it easily is time consuming and you can’t edit there or you have to reimport everything again.

Right, that is the type of thing stylesheets (as a general approach) can help with in some situations. If you reduce the number of busy-work steps you are taking in Word, then it will be more desirable to make the edit in Scrivener and re-compile.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

li
lindywarrell

Thu May 22, 2014 1:05 am Post

Thanks for the advice re having Scrivenings look like Word - I have already done that. I tried the suggestion that I could export the whole document using Page View and then exporting Scrivenings as is...what happens is that the novel ends up being in a dozen different folders with scenes inside so to make it a single document, I have to open every folder, copy the scenes to a new document all of which is tiresome.

If someone could tell me how I can simply export (without all the compiling routines) into a single document in Word I would be eternally grateful.

If Scrivener doesn't allow that, I am wondering how it will print an entire document - not that I want to do that too often but, in the end, I do like to do final editing on paper.

Thanks so much.

AmberV

Thu May 22, 2014 1:21 am Post

To be clear, Page View doesn’t have anything to do with exporting, that’s just another way to set up your text editor in Scrivener, just as you can also set a “fixed width” so that it doesn’t fill the entire window when it is wider than a point you determine. It’s for your own comfort.

It sounds like you used the File/Export/Files... menu command, which is more geared toward getting your work out of the Binder in its current form. One could use that to put their files onto a mobile device, share bits of the manuscript for proofing, get research material out of Scrivener, or to otherwise back up the Binder as files so that you have a safe copy outside of the Scrivener project format.

If someone could tell me how I can simply export (without all the compiling routines) into a single document in Word I would be eternally grateful.

1. Select File/Compile..., and if you haven't already, switch to the "Summary" tab so you can just use the basic features and ignore the rest.
  2. From the “Format As” drop-down menu, select “Original” (as in: the original content from your editor; no changes).
  3. Set the “Compile For” file type to “RTF”.
  4. Click Compile.
Printing is nearly precisely the same. The only difference is that you would select “Print” in step 3, and if you’ve already done step 2, you needn’t ever do it again.
Ioa Petra'ka

li
lindywarrell

Thu May 22, 2014 1:51 am Post

Thanks a lot. I am such a wimp sometimes - I have been playing with the compile option and had figured it out (well, almost completely) - it is a while since I've used the compile feature and it certainly is far simpler than I had remembered. Now it is great. Ta.

AmberV

Thu May 22, 2014 1:54 am Post

It's all right, there are a lot of buttons in there. :)
Ioa Petra'ka