Apple Pages?

Lu
Luv2write
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:49 am Post

I have JUST today stumbled upon your excellent product. After using CopyWrite for years I have decided that this software is far superior. I will be soon paying the license fee. However, it seems as though I cannot import text created with Apple's iWork's Pages. Is this correct? I can copy and paste the text with no problems but why can I not import from Pages?

Thanks.

Paul
"It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman."
Alexandre Dumas, 1824-1895

Lord Lightning

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:13 am Post

Hi Luv2Write

Can you do it via RTF?

:?
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

Gareth

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:28 am Post

Another happy Pages user says:

Export to RTF first. (File > Export gives you four options - pdf, txt, rtf or doc).

Pip pip!
Now available: The Aviator - a speculative fiction involving airships, AIs, and the elixir of life (which is cheese), set in a world being hammered by climate change - The Burning World. "Brilliant and wickedly satirical" - Sonny Whitelaw.

Lu
Luv2write

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:31 pm Post

Um, well, thanks but that's not what I was hoping for. I can export those types in Pages but that's not the point. I have a zillion documents in Pages format, and it would be a whole heck of a lot easier if I could just import them right into Scrivener. Baring that, it is one excellent little writing program and I intend on using nonetheless.

Thanks.

Paul
"It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman."

Ro
RobertB

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:04 pm Post

I think the problem is that Apple doesn't offer any kind of support for third-party developers to use Pages' proprietary file format in other programs.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:57 pm Post

Exactly. The Pages file format is a private format. Apple provide developers with importers for various types - including, ironically, MS Word 2007's .docx format - but do not provide any importers for Pages. Given that it is a private format and Apple do not provide importers, Scrivener cannot support the Pages format at this time. The only solution is to export from Pages as RTF, I'm afraid.

All the best,
Keith

sa
sampler

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:15 pm Post

Perhaps you could adapt the script referenced below, which purports to save Pages documents to Word, by substituting 'rtf' where 'doc' appears. I don't have Pages and so can't tell you that the script will work. After you create the folder of rtf files, importing into Scrivener can be one step. But consider that several Scrivener projects might be more manageable than one large one.

http://pagesfaq.blogspot.com/2006/11/i- ... ts-to.html

-Steve
Last edited by sampler on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lu
Luv2write

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:58 pm Post

Thanks for the information and the help. I appreciate it.

Paul