Keyboard method for editing existing index cards?

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:50 pm Post

I have a vertically split editor. On the left, I have a single text document visible. On the right side, a cork board. I sometimes copy and paste text from the document into synopses of cards I've just created, and am getting used to the keyboard shortcuts to move focus to the left and right editors. I can even create new cards on the cork board and enter titles & synopses without touching the mouse.

But I can't figure out how to get into the title or the body of an existing index card. I can use the arrow keys to move the selection from card to card, but I can't find any reference to a keyboard navigation method to edit a selected card. Is there such a keyboard short-cut?
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:06 am Post

The Esc key always works for these (and just about any other list entry, such as Binder items, or objects, like comments & footnotes in the Inspector). Esc will toggle edit mode on and off. Additionally if you have the navigation preference to create new items on return disabled, then you can use Return to toggle edit mode.

Once editing, the Tab key will cycle between all visible card fields in a linear fashion.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

robertdguthrie

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:02 am Post

Escape!? I would never have thought to try that, but now that I know, it's going into Evernote, because I will forget that. :roll: I'll also try disabling the new document on Enter feature, but I think that will mess too much with my workflow in other projects (or different stages of this project). Thanks!

By the way, is there a section to the manual on navigating the interface via keyboard? I'd love to have one place to look for all of that kind of thing (along with CMD-ALT-CTRL- j,k,l,m,i, and so-forth).

AmberV

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:46 am Post

Yeah, I really couldn’t live without the ability to use Return to build out an outline. That’s just far too fluid and useful. But the reason we do have that preference is that Return is Finder’s default edit toggle on filenames, and for those that can’t break that habit and are tired of making dozens of “Untitled” documents, it’s there.

By the way, is there a section to the manual on navigating the interface via keyboard?

There isn’t one central area that covers everything. They are instead paired with the main topic. I’ll have to give some thought as to how that can be done without a bunch of duplication.
Ioa Petra'ka

robertdguthrie

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:06 pm Post

AmberV wrote:But the reason we do have that preference is that Return is Finder’s default edit toggle on filenames, and for those that can’t break that habit and are tired of making dozens of “Untitled” documents, it’s there.

I hate that convention. It took me years to get used to CMD-O to open it. Return just seems like the natural "open me" keyboard shortcut. I guess I might have customized that keyboard shortcut, but then what would I complain about? :roll:

AmberV wrote:
By the way, is there a section to the manual on navigating the interface via keyboard?

There isn’t one central area that covers everything. They are instead paired with the main topic. I’ll have to give some thought as to how that can be done without a bunch of duplication.

If not an appendix, then maybe some kind of... searchable thing? A word, phrase, or character that's present whenever a keyboard navigation tip is mentioned? I couldn't locate via search anything to do with 'corkboard edit mode' or any variations; either I got too many results, or none.

Maybe I'll actually make good use of my blog and collect as many of them there as possible; mind if I pass that by you when I get around to it, make sure I'm not missing anything really helpful?

pk
pking36330
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:28 pm Post

I know this is crossing into the 'other folks software' lane, but you are aware there are a couple of good apps to assist that include Scrivener in their long list of Mac app shortcuts.

I use both Cheatsheet (http://www.cheatsheetapp.com) which pops up a couple dozen Scrivener shortcuts when I hold down the Command Key for a couple seconds.

When I want more, I go to my Dashboard where I keep DashKards (http://dashkards.com) running and it has a long list of Scrivener shortcuts for ready reference.

robertdguthrie

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:16 pm Post

Cheatsheet is great. I use it whenever I want to create a new shortcut, to avoid trampling any existing ones I might need. But these keyboard navigation shortcuts aren't all represented in the menu.

For instance, on the cork board, the arrow keys let you move the selection to adjacent cards, the ESC key apparently lets you edit the title, and once in edit mode the TAB key lets you move the focus into the main synopsis area of the card; SHIFT-TAB moves back up to the title, and multiple TAB or SHIFT-TABs will move you to titles & synopses of adjacent cards.

Depending on Preferences->Navigation settings, Return will create a new blank card/document that falls after the currently selected card, or if you are currently editing something can finish the editing. Disabling one of those settings lets you add carriage returns to the synopsis text instead of using OPT-Return to do the same thing.

None of that has an equivalent menu option (unless I missed something), and therefore won't be revealed by the otherwise quite handy Cheatsheet.

AmberV

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:27 pm Post

Maybe I’ll actually make good use of my blog and collect as many of them there as possible; mind if I pass that by you when I get around to it, make sure I’m not missing anything really helpful?

I’d be happy to!

And yes, cheatsheet programs are quite handy, don’t worry about recommending other programs around here, especially if it is complimentary to the software. I haven’t used one in a long while, but back when I did I recall they also had some blank spots. Basically spots where OS X itself has trouble accessing, in the dynamically generated menus and those that switch commands depending upon the current context. As noted they also don’t pick up editing commands, like corkboard editing or text editing. Maybe they have grown to be a bit better than the last time I tried though.
Ioa Petra'ka

robertdguthrie

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:45 pm Post

Also, thanks for pointing out Dashkards! I've got mine set to show me MultiMarkDown syntax, which I use for writing my infrequent blogs.