Can't open files after upgrading to Mavericks

Ju
Just Write

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:41 pm Post

The file opens, but immediately gives me this error:

There was a problem saving the project 'New Manuscript.scriv'.

Not all recent edits could be saved. Files that could be recovered have been saved to /Users...
The project will now close.

I've looked at the permissions, and it says Read/Write for the entire folder, much less the actual scrivener file.

Any ideas? If it helps, I didn't migrate data this time, but brought everything over individually as I had issues Apple thought best that I NOT migrate. When I boot from a much older CCC drive, I can access those files without a problem.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:33 pm Post

Ugh. I hate this kind of thing. While I'm sure you see read & write permissions on the files you've checked, you may not be the "owner" under your new user account. Are you at all comfortable with the command line? If you open the Terminal app, you can paste this in (assuming your scrivener documents are in the Documents folder):

sudo find ~/Documents -exec chown `whoami`:staff {} \;

This will prompt you for your password, and then crawl through every file & folder in Documents, making sure that they are owned by you and the usual group.

I hope that helps.

P.S. For good measure, do these two as well, to make sure you can read & write all of your documents and navigate through all of your folders:

find ~/Documents -type f -exec chmod u+rw {} \;
find ~/Documents -type d -exec chmod u+rwx {} \;
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?