How keep formats, when export to Word?

mi
mikeo
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 am Post

Dear Friends, greetings from a Brit in Baku, Azerbaijan. I am new to this forum, hello. I'm ready to export a 254,000 word novel, in 2 volumes to Steve my copy editor. I use Scrivener; Steve wants Word. Here's my problem. When I try to 'Compile' my novel into MSS, using Word.docx, some important settings disappear. E.G. I want to keep my upper-case acronyms (such as 'USAID', 'UN') in small capitals, 10-point, but in the MSS.docx they come out as 12-point. Likewise, I want my characters' emails and phone texts to stay in 11-point (as in my Scrivener version), but they come out as 12-point. Sorry if this seems basic, but how do I tweak 'Compile' to respect my settings? Thank you for any advice. Mikeo

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:10 pm Post

Hi mikeo,

The first thing to check is the "Formatting" pane of Compile. Is it set to "Override text and notes formatting"? If so, that's your culprit. In general, if you want the formatting to come out in Compile the same as it appears in the editor, it's best to choose the "Original" formatting preset in Compile and start from there, as many of the other Compile presets are set up to override formatting in different ways.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

mi
mikeo

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 am Post

Thank you Keith, your advice was very helpful in solving the problem! Sorry for delay in reply, I did not see your reply until I cam back to the forum today. I thought I would receive an email if anyone responded (I did not get one).
I have a follow-up question, if you have time and can advise...
According to Scrivener's 'Project Statistics' feature, volume 1 of my 2-volume novel runs to 140k words, which, when formatted at '350 words per page' amounts to '376 pages, paperback'. Likewise volume 2, which runs to 114k words at '350 words per page' amounts to ''306 pages paperback'
However, when I converted both volumes to Word.docx (for my editor) and used the same settings (12-point Times New Roman, double spaced) the page counts jumped up, rather a lot.
E.G. Volume 1 increased by 100 pages to 476 pages. Vol 2 increased too by a comparative degree. How come?
Gwen Henderson at 'The Edited Life' (a Scrivener-focused blog) says Scriv offers only a 'rough guide' to final page count, and that, maybe, my margins are out? But I did not change the default margins/tabs on Scrivener or Word, so I am mystified. Also, fair enough if Scriv offers only an approximate guide, but a 100-page discrepancy over 376 pages feels extremely 'rough', for such a basic feature. Please advise if you can? Thank you, best wishes, Mike.

ni
nicka

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 am Post

The estimated page count in Scriv is just going by the number of words. The number of pages Word uses to lay out you file depends on the number of words and the formatting.
One thing that will be making a difference in the direction of increased page count in Word: books are not double-spaced.

mi
mikeo

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 am Post

hi Nicka, thank you. Good point. I just reformatted by '476' Word pages from 2.0 line spacing into 1.5 and it shrank by 100 pages. However, my formatting guru has told me that 140k words is unlikely to make a paperback under 400 pages. She thinks in terms of 'word and character spaces' rather than pages. We'll see. Thank you again.

ni
nicka

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 am Post

If you can find out from your consultant how many words there are per page in the book format that you are aiming at, you can put that figure into Scrivener and get suitably adjusted page count. (Or just take a book of the same format and count the words on a few pages and take the average.)
You put the number of words (or characters, if you prefer) per page into the Options tab of the Project Statistics dialogue.

mi
mikeo

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 am Post

Thank you, I have already discussed that very point. My consultant says she uses 350 words per page, as per 'SFWA' (I looked up SWFA, it's a non-profit group, as you may know, the 'Sc-Fi & Fantasy Writers of America'. My book is not SciFi or fantasy, I think she just uses that as a standard model). The odd thing is, my Scrivener settings were 350 words p.p. (IE. the same as SFWA), so, i'm puzzled as to why she believes her 'standard' will result in a lot more pages than produced by my (identical) 'settings'. I trust her judgement, she's a pro and I'm a rookie. Your comments re-spacing might be the key to the puzzle. Thanks.

mi
mikeo

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 am Post

sorry for typos in previous post. SFWA, SWFA etc.... that's a tricky acronym, I find...

robertdguthrie

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:35 pm Post

Are you planning to self-publish? I ask because of your double (or 1.5) spacing, which seems more like a submission format, rather than a finished paperback format. Did you adjust your page settings in compile to reflect the size of a paperback, rather than the typical printer page size? Here in the US, the size of a typical printer page is 11 inches by 8.5 inches (office letter size), which is larger than most any "trade paperback", which are often (but not universally) 6 by 9 inches.

If you are not going to self-publish, then the worry over page size is unnecessary. Just ask how many words you should be trying for, and decide how to divide your manuscript or edit it according to those figures. It's much easier in scrivener to keep track of word count than it is to predict page count.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

mi
mikeo

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:29 am Post

Robert, thank you for your reply. I'm self-publishing (KDP & CSpace). Yes, my page settings in Scriv were adjusted for 'paperback'.
Here's a curious update. I wrote my novel double-spaced and retained that spacing when preparing the file for my editor (UK) last week. I noticed the 100-page increase when converting from Scriv to Word, for him. Interestingly enough, after sending the Word file (double spaced) to my editor, I decided to experiment, and adjusted the Word spacing from 2.0 to 1.5. Surprise, surprise, the page count in Word dropped by 100 pages to the same figure Scrivener had originally estimated. Hmm... so perhaps '1.5' in Word = '2.0' in Scrivener? This ratio seems unlikely, but, as a rule of thumb, I'll bear it in mind. Best wishes, thanks again.