Seeing all docs that have Doc Notes

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 pm Post

ralvy, I believe you have uncovered a bug.

Piggy, my "prefix with \" statement is based on the OSX regular expression matching syntax. Which until now has always been the "right thing" when it comes to search in text (I believe KB is using the default search tool which is supposed to use regex). As of right this minute I can tell you my answer was … wait for it … wrong! You should begin abuse now.

Further testing is indicating that regex is not working properly in the search field which means that * is not really searchable.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:44 pm Post

Indeed - and this isn't a bug. :) Scrivener's search field does not yet support RegEx. The asterisk - on its own - is a one-off exception. It's hard-coded so that a single asterisk searched for on its own will indicate any textual content. RegEx search is planned (but not guaranteed, as 3.0 is still a vague inkling) for 3.0.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 pm Post

That is not the kind of support I was looking for!

So could you extend your hardcoding to let \* be a search for actual *?

This would require a one char look back to validate the actual escape, but it should be possible.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:48 pm Post

I could, but what if someone wanted to search for "\*"? ;)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm Post

Do you even need wildcards? Given that the search already looks for the defined character string, not a defined character string surrounded by spaces?

Some sort of "not blank" option in the dropdown menu along side the anyword everyword options probably gets you where you need to be?

EDIT: plus I like how we have continued for a page or so after the OP had a successful resolution of his issue!
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm Post

KB wrote:I could, but what if someone wanted to search for "\*"? ;)

\\*

I can't think of a case where that would come up other than in a Windows technical doc. The rest of the universe uses / for everything else.
Jaysen

ImageImage

pigfender

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:30 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
KB wrote:I could, but what if someone wanted to search for "\*"? ;)

\\*

I can't think of a case where that would come up other than in a Windows technical doc. The rest of the universe uses / for everything else.

You could be writing a manual on how to search for \* on a Mac
Image Image

KB
Site Admin

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm Post

I think it makes sense to leave this for 3.0 and RegEx; so far we haven't had a single support request from someone needing to search their project for asterisks. :) (Plus, it's a little more complicated to escape the asterisk in code the way it is currently set up...)

All the best,
Keith

pigfender

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:35 pm Post

KB wrote:I think it makes sense to leave this for 3.0 and RegEx; so far we haven't had a single support request from someone needing to search their project for asterisks. :) (Plus, it's a little more complicated to escape the asterisk in code the way it is currently set up...)

All the best,
Keith

Surely the "not blank" idea was a good one!?

<sulks>
Image Image

Jaysen

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:35 pm Post

:P
Jaysen

ImageImage

KB
Site Admin

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:10 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Surely the "not blank" idea was a good one!?

<sulks>

Sorry, missed that! In theory, yes, but the way the search code is set up at the moment... :) I think it makes most sense just to wait for 3.0, when I'll be revisiting the search code anyway (hopefully).

Also, the trouble with a "not blank" option is that it could be confusing - if that was left ticked and the user was typing text in to the search field, there would be a conflict (and, there must be text in the search field for the search to get triggered).

I wished I'd stayed out of this, now, and let ralvy carry on using the other suggestion that works. :)

All the best,
Keith

Jaysen

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:12 pm Post

But if you didn't chime in then we would call you unresponsive to your community.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Jaysen

ImageImage

ra
ralvy

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 am Post

As the OP here, I got exactly what I needed. I use the asterisk for that. Thanks.