Um, registered version ate my book??

el
elias
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 am Post

I checked around and UTFS but couldn't find this anywhere...I just bought and liscensed Scrivener, which I love...but my registered copy ate my book?? Shows first line, nothing else. Everything else I've written using scrivener is there EXCEPT this. The file is there, text is not...maybe I just can't find it, but I went through the tutorial and have been using it for over a month now...I have NO PROBLEM admitting I'm an idiot if there is something simple I'm overlooking, as long as I get my work back. ANY HELP would be much appreciated...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:17 am Post

The first thing I would try doing is searching Spotlight for the name of your project, or any key phrases within it. What might have happened is that very early on you used `File/Save As...` which creates a new copy of the project, continued working in that for a while, and then just recently loaded the original version from before the fork, which naturally only contains what you had created before forking it. A search for a phrase you have written recently should turn up the more complete version of the project. If that doesn't work, we'll try checking your automatic backups. One other question, are you saving this project anywhere off of your harddrive, or is it hooked up to any synchronisation automation, like iDisk?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

el
elias

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:24 am Post

First, THANK YOU SO MUCH. In my panic over losing what was about 25,000 words I totally spaced on Spotlight, and that did the trick. I had branched off into a subfolder without realizing.

So, as promised, free and clear, I admit, right now, I AM AN IDIOT.

Seriously though, I LOVE this program. It revolutionized my organization and time management (not that you can tell from this, of course).
THANK YOU, again, for e-slapping me and helping me get my ass off my shoulders.

AmberV

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 am Post

Whew, glad to hear that's all it was! You're welcome; happy to hear the software helping you out.
Ioa Petra'ka

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 pm Post

elias wrote:So, as promised, free and clear, I admit, right now, I AM AN IDIOT.

Hey! Another one to keep me, vic-k and wock company!

Don't feel too bad. Most of us have your experience at one time or another. This is one of those times that being wrong is good.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 pm Post

Mr elias
elias wrote:but my registered copy ate my book??
if you think that is bad, just wait until Scrivener decides to substitute zeros (0) for (o): apostrophes (') for full stops/periods (.); £ for($);
erase previous chapter, when ever you begin a new one. Renumbers pages using random number generator, and changes Brit English to انگلیسی انگلیسی, or even worse, to American English :(
CIA once discovered Scrivener chomping its way through The Congressional Library .
There's really no stopping it.
Welcome aboard Mr elias
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

ge
gepa

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm Post

To Scrivener:
Which parts are true of what Fluff is saying? "if you think that is bad, just wait until Scrivener decides to substitute zeros (0) for (o): apostrophes (') for full stops/periods (.); £ for($); erase previous chapter, when ever you begin a new one. Renumbers pages using random number generator,..."

AmberV

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:00 am Post

Welcome to the forums! Fluff is a cat, and if you've ever been owned by a cat, you know they can be wily and cunning beasts of irony and deception, and it's best to just sprinkle some catnip on the floor and hope that they are fooled into thinking you are fooled into thinking they are being fooled.

P.S. Also do keep in mind what your thesis looks like after the cat jumps on the keyboard, and compare with the described results above.
Ioa Petra'ka

Floss
Platform: Windows

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am Post

AmberV wrote:catnip

:shock: :D :D :D :D :) :) :| :| :| :| :| :D :) :| :| :| :( :( :cry: :( :x :evil:
i am happy to give feedback on short passages.

be warned, though. my feedback can be blunt... always well intentioned and aimed at helping you improve, but possibly more honest than you are used to.

as such, i will only chip in if directly invited.