How Do I Create A Link To A Figure/Image?

wr
writterblock
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm Post

I'm new to Scrivener. I've read the user manual and watched several of the tutorials, but I'm still not sure on this.

How do I create a link in the text I'm writing to link to text elsewhere?

As an example, I'd like to reference a figure/table/image.

"See figure 1.1"

Where "1.1" would be a link to the text that is used to title figure 1.1.

I'd like for this work in an eBook and/or PDF compile.

Thanks.

wr
writterblock

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 pm Post

Well, there seems to be some interest in this topic, based on the number of views.

However, no responses. (not counting this one)

So, either this is something people are interested in doing, but don't know how to do it. Hence the lack of any responses.

Or, everyone already knows how to do this and they just stop by here to smile at the lost new guy who read the manual, watched the tutorials and still can't figure it out.

If you fall into the latter, you will be delighted to know, I'm still lost and would still like to be shown the way.

robertdguthrie

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:00 pm Post

It's certainly not that people are pointing and laughing at the new guy. I, for one, am curious about what people are asking, and then I check in when I see a response to see what I can learn.

On this subject, I know next to nothing, but I can at least provide some hints.

First, there are the placeholder tags as they're called. You can see a list of them by selecting the appropriate option under Help. There are ways that you can have "named" tags that increment separately from other, similar tags, so you could, for instance, have your chapters numbered in your compile settings using the <$w> tag, and then figures could reflect that number (somehow... I don't know how to do that).

So, if you created a document that only contains the figure (and then situate that document with an image between two adjacent parts of a chapter/section) and named it "Figure <$some-tag-i-don't-know-how-to-write>" in the binder... you could then create a scrivener link to it.

Multimarkdown might also be the way to go here, but once again, I'm not much help there.

I'm not sure where to obtain it, but the multi-markdown scrivener project for the Scrivener Manual would surely contain what you want. I'm looking at the section titled "The Group Mode Toolbar Control", which has a figure above it, and a link to it in the text of the section. Maybe Ioa (AmberV) could direct you to that if you sent him a PM?
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Foxtrot

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 pm Post

I am just nosey so I click on posts.

I haven't a clue what the answer to your query is but at least you needn't worry about this unexplained increase of 1 in the number of views. :)

wr
writterblock

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:54 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:It's certainly not that people are pointing and laughing at the new guy.

Robert,

Thanks for replying.

I used the word smile. Laughing sounded too intense. I'm sure no one is laughing. Well, maybe at least it's a short list.

I think you might be pointing me in the right direction, I have to look into placeholder tags and see if I can figure out how it works and if that's what I'm looking for.

I did read about using Scrivener links to link to a document. But I wasn't sure if when I compiled then the figure, contained in the document would get included, along with the link.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

wr
writterblock

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:55 pm Post

Foxtrot wrote:I am just nosey so I click on posts.

I haven't a clue what the answer to your query is but at least you needn't worry about this unexplained increase of 1 in the number of views. :)

Ah, my second reply to my first post.

Thanks.

robertdguthrie

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:05 pm Post

writterblock wrote:
I did read about using Scrivener links to link to a document. But I wasn't sure if when I compiled then the figure, contained in the document would get included, along with the link.

This, I know a tiny bit more about. You need a few things to make this work:
1. Your figure must be in a compatible format. No Excel tables or the like; probably only images work (jpeg, png, maybe a few others).
2. The figure (image) should be in your "research" folder, or really anywhere in your project (you can't put it in your draft folder directly).
3. Split the document where you want to have that figure; You should end up with 2 documents: everything leading up to the figure, and then the other document should contain the text that follows the figure.
4. Create a new, empty document, likely titled "figure <$sometoken>, my awesome chart"
5. Drag your figure/image into the text area of that new, empty document.
6. Now you can create a scrivener link to that "figure" document from any other part of the project.

The image in the figure document will be part of the final, compiled document (you may have to then adjust it to fit right on the page, but it'll be there), and the scrivener link, which can ONLY link to scrivener documents (and not to specific text within that document), should take the user to that image.

Maybe. I don't normally do this, so I don't know if this is the best way, or that everything above would even work. YMMV.

Good luck. I'll stop providing questionable advice now, and hope that more knowledgeable people come to lead out out of the wilderness of my misinformation!
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?