Context 'how far am I through this manuscript' check

bo
bodsham

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:37 am Post

This is doubtless me being thick and there's probably an easy way round it. I just can't see it. I'm currently editing a 193K word MS divided into many different parts and scenes (the Killing II book for anyone interested).

I would really like to know when I'm editing a scene how far I am through the manuscript as a whole. In a single document app like Word this is easy - you just look at the scroll bar. But I can't see any way of getting that contextual indication based on words in Scrivener. Obviously you can expand the folders etc but that doesn't tell you much cos scenes vary in length. What I mean is the '27644 words out of 1937888' kind of thing.

Am I missing something? It may be I'm the only one who'd need this of course in which case please ignore me...

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 am Post

This is still something of a rough estimate, since it's based off the editor word count and not the compile count, but you could load the whole manuscript in a Scrivenings session, then get a context count for a given spot by using Cmd-Shift-Up to select everything from the top of the editor to that point. Right-click that selection and choose "Writing Tools" and at the bottom of the context menu you'll see a count for x out of y words. (You could also just look at the selection count in the footer, then compare that to the count when there's no selection.) You'd also get a basic indication going by the scrollbar in that case.

If you're looking more at the general document level rather than a specific location in the text of a document, you could also get an idea of place using Project Statistics. Select all the documents up to the one you're working on, then run Project > Project Statistics and compare the counts for Draft and Selection. Draft will go by your compile settings, so you'll want to set the Options in statistics to match that for the selection as closely as possible (e.g. exclude annotations, counting only documents marked for inclusion).
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

bo
bodsham

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 am Post

Thanks Jennifer. It did occur to me you could do things like that. The trouble is that once you have a massive document - and this is massive - it gets very fiddly dealing with lots of things in the Binder. I think I'll just have to live with it. I do the final revise in Word anyway since that's how it needs to be delivered.

MimeticMouton

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 am Post

Fair enough. :) I just load the Scrivenings by container (you can Opt-click to get just the subdocs set to compile) which makes it a little easier, but I doubt the file structure I have is as complicated as what you've got.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

bo
bodsham

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:17 am Post

I have a slight fear of getting fiddly with documents in the Binder. I find it easy to move them by mistake sometimes and since there's no undo you can't easily go back. On the present project I shifted a scene from one day to another this way so I'm always a bit wary....

MimeticMouton

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:38 am Post

You can undo some changes in the binder if it doesn't switch the documents in the editor, so if you lock the editors first that will give you some security with fiddling.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Lo
London
Platform: Mac

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 pm Post

This is coming long after the original response, but today I accidentally moved a scene to become a child of another scene. I didn't know where the original scene went and had to find a compiled version of the document to get it back in place. There was definitely a few panicky moments.

I immediately tried to undo, but it wasn't successful. How do I lock editors? Perhaps an "undo binder change" would be a valuable addition to the tool set, since binder changes can have such huge unintended consequences and might not be noticed immediately.