Templates

jg
jgould
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 am Post

I thought I posted this, but it apparently got eaten by the internet by the time it made it to the server...

Is there a way to open a template without having the program fill in the template tags on the title page?

I've been working on cleaning up the templates to better suit my workflow as well as add a few files that I frequently use. Every time I make the changes I make I also have to recreate a fairly large portion of the title pages.

is there anyway around this?

Josh

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am Post

Hi,

Yes - I'm not sure it made it into the manual, though; I'll have to check that with Ioa. All you need to do is hold down the Option key when clicking on "Choose...". Doing so will tell Scrivener to leave the placeholders alone. It's a bit of an advanced tip. Hmm, come to think of it, it should probably go in the "Placeholder Tags List..." area in the Help menu too.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

jg
jgould
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:40 am Post

Keith,

Ah ha! I knew there had to be some way to do it, (and for some reason, holding the option key never entered into my mind) This will save me some time as I adjust the default templates for the way I use the program.

I will also confirm that it does work as I just tried it and viola, no automatically filling in of the place holders.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks!
Josh

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:54 am Post

Just verifying, this is covered on page 57, in the section discussing template variables. I'm going to change that to "Template Placeholder Tags" though, since they are now called that. Terminology was a bit up in the air when that section was written.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 pm Post

Actually, I'd say the terminology is still a little up in the air - I've never been entirely happy with the current terminology, but have never had time to give it any serious thought. "Placeholder" is fine, but "tags" seems a little awkward, and although "variables" is fairly accurate, it's also overly technical for software aimed at writers.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:56 am Post

KB wrote:Actually, I'd say the terminology is still a little up in the air - I've never been entirely happy with the current terminology, but have never had time to give it any serious thought. "Placeholder" is fine, but "tags" seems a little awkward, and although "variables" is fairly accurate, it's also overly technical for software aimed at writers.

CDE: calculated data elements -- Each CDE represents a specific internally calculated point of statistical data relative to a project or draft. Examples: $n, $pagecount

SDE: static data element -- Each SDE represents a specific static point of data relative to a project or draft. These may be set in project metadata. Examples: $firstname, $lastname
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

robertdguthrie

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:18 am Post

If variable is out, I'd suggest "Symbol". And my completely original and not-at-all derivative extension to that, "Data Symbol" might be a slight more specific way of putting it, or maybe "Compile-time Information Symbol".

"There are a few types of Compile-time Information Symbols available in Scrivener. They include dynamic Information Symbols like page numbers, which reflect the current page number of a compiled document, word count Information Symbols that provide the total number of words in your compiled output at various levels of precision, and the more static Information Symbols which represent information like author name or the title of your work."
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:07 am Post

But it should be understandable to authors, so how about Actors, Signifiers, and Axiomatic Expressions, taken from philosophy, linguistics, and logic. :twisted:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:43 pm Post

stop making my head hurt.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage