Does iCloud mean anything to us at all?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:38 am Post

They typically are in the computing and device business, because battery life is a big selling point. So they put the computer in a lab and run it under ludicrous conditions that will never be matched in real life---screen off, CPU underclocked, battery straight off the factory line, whatever it takes. :) These were actually the first estimates I've ever seen that came in under typical usage. I think they were actually having the computers do stuff this time around. The estimates feel pretty "middle of the road" to me. WiFi on, moderate Internet activity, maybe listening to tunes, and working fairly steady at simple word-processor level tasks. If you do more than that, it'll be less, if you turn off the antennas and dim the screen a bit, you get more. So it's a pretty good estimate I think. The way they should be done; even if it does make them look under-powered in a lineup of netbooks all rated for 10 hours (and coming nowhere near that).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:00 am Post

Those are Apple's "Wireless Web Browsing" battery life figures, so may be generous under those conditions, but conservative for a more sedentary use.
They claim both will do "Up to 30 days" on standby - a confusing stat presumably designed to make unsuspecting people think "how much web browsing will I do, I'll get MUCH better than that"?

Basically, the 11" has 35 WattHour battery, and the 13" a 50 WattHour battery.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:44 am Post

As I've said, in my experience, on a 13" MBA with bluetooth turned off and the screen at about 40% — well good enough except in bright sunlight — and using Keynote for presentation, with a temporary private network to control Keynote from my iPhone, I have frequently done nearly four hours of presentation, followed by five hours of editing in Scrivener with moderate web browsing using OmniWeb — not Safari or Firefox, both battery-eaters in my experience, and certainly no flash! — and still have had the indicator saying over 2 hours of life left.

This semester, I have been using ProfCast to record my lectures ... that doubles the battery consumption.

But I'm very happy with battery life.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 am Post

You can't fail to be impressed with that!
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

robertdguthrie

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 pm Post

Gah! Stop it! Stop trying to make me blow my budget on a MBA 11! Tell me it's fatally flawed, that I'll yearn for larger screens and better battery life... my pocketbook can't take all this positivity.

*twitches in the corner, compulsively configuring his dream 11" mba*
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

bo
bodsham

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:41 pm Post

Well I'd certainly yearn for the larger screen than the 11 inch.... the 13 inch has the same resolution of my three year old MacBook Pro so feels very familiar. And the difference in price between 11 and 13 is pretty small.

ma
marcoiac

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm Post

robert, i think you need to buy both 11" AND 13" :D

robertdguthrie

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm Post

bodsham wrote:Well I'd certainly yearn for the larger screen than the 11 inch....

*raises head, the spark of hope glints in eyes*
bodsham wrote: the 13 inch has the same resolution of my three year old MacBook Pro so feels very familiar. And the difference in price between 11 and 13 is pretty small.

Gah! *runs and hides under bed, begins contemplating new line of credit*
marcoiac wrote:robert, i think you need to buy both 11" AND 13" :D

Now that's just silly! *Checks prices on 13"*
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

gk
gks

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:20 pm Post

KB wrote:Given that the iOS versions of programs like Pages don't support a number of features from the desktop versions, I wonder how they will get push working properly between OS X and iOS anyway, without causing minor data-loss.

Just because the app doesn't support a feature doesn't mean it will result in data-loss. It's Cocoa. The file format code could be easily ported from the Mac to iOS or vice-versa. The features it doesn't "support" could simply be bypassed on the lesser platform. Comments and tracking, it doesn't matter that the iOS app can't do those because it doesn't need to. It just ignores that part of the file structure unless a bigger change happens (deleting a slide or page or the resulting commented text).

Just because iOS doesn't have the feature, doesn't mean it can't be "aware" of those features and how they're implemented. In other words, the reason for a lot of features not being implemented are simply because of screen size and input method, not because of capability within the code.

Edit again...

That said though, I'd love to see iCloud support. Why? Simple syncing between my MacPro and MacBook Air in a set it and forget it kind of way. I write something on my desktop, boom, it's on my laptop when I load it up next time. Dropbox does allow this as well, but .. it's Dropbox. I don't use Windows computers so I have no need for something that's multi-platform from that perspective. I'd love to get away from Dropbox if I could since it would be one less thing I'd have to deal with.

Edit yet again...

Oh, and a small iOS app that lets you add things to the scratch pad would rock. Using iCloud to sync it with other iCloud enabled computers. That would mean I'd be able to throw down ideas I have on my iPhone or iPad and then have them easily accessible when I am writing in Scrivener.
Last edited by gks on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

br
brett

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:21 pm Post

Ok, Robert, calm down, we'll stop urging you to get the 11" MBA. Driven by the same 11' MBA lust you're displaying here, but somewhat restrained by budgetary concerns, I slunk into the Apple store last week, but was able to master my cravings by following my head and not my heart.

I got the 13" instead.

bo
bodsham

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:53 pm Post

Keith. As I wrote on my blog earlier if you upload a desktop Pages (or Word) file to iCloud and then want to open it on another Mac or Pc iCloud won't let you download the thing until you open it first on an ios device, probably ruining the formatting. Work that one out!

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:01 pm Post

gks wrote:Just because the app doesn't support a feature doesn't mean it will result in data-loss. It's Cocoa. The file format code could be easily ported from the Mac to iOS or vice-versa. The features it doesn't "support" could simply be bypassed on the lesser platform. Comments and tracking, it doesn't matter that the iOS app can't do those because it doesn't need to. It just ignores that part of the file structure unless a bigger change happens (deleting a slide or page or the resulting commented text).

You have clearly never tried to open anything more than a very basic Pages file on iOS. Pages on iOS in fact warns you that you will lose certain features if you continue to open the file. *Poof*, gone. That's what I was talking about above. An iOS app that doesn't support all the features of its big brother might be able to save some data that isn't supported, but not all of it (consider whether a plain text editor can save all the data of a rich text editor - no, not without becoming a rich text editor). Cocoa is a lovely programming API, but it can not yet do magic. :)

David - ack, that's insanity! Presumably that will change at some point though (you'd hope). I have yet to try iCloud at all, I'm afraid.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

bo
bodsham

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:06 pm Post

I found Pages iOS ruins even basic desktop Pages files.... the current iCloud arrangement is nonsense for anyone using desktops. Oddly enough if you upload a desktop Pages file the cloud app can convert it to a Word version for download - ruining some formatting along the way for me.

Useless.... unless all you use are iPads and iPhones to write.

ma
marcoiac

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:18 pm Post

in my experience iCloud works well for keynote files (although you can't assume that files you made ages ago on OSX will smoothly go through iCloud/iOS, you may need to work on those files a little). i go back and forth between iPad and MBP with no data loss on my keynote files and i find it very useful.

i haven't used iCloud much for pages because of the problems you mention. the hope is that one day all this nonsense will go away, but i guess for that to happen pages on OSX and on iOS should be more compatible with each other.

ma
marcoiac

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:01 pm Post

KB wrote:However, iCloud investigation is certainly on the roadmap - but it's a big thing, with many potential problems in the implementation, and while I'll always try to adopt new technologies that are relevant as quickly as possible (as with Lion full screen and suchlike), I have to be a little more circumspect about technologies such as iCloud and Versions which, if implemented wrong, could lose the user's data. So I will be waiting to see how it is adopted in other programs (I don't think it's even in any Apple Mac programs yet), to see what further examples become available, and to see how iCloud progresses.

Goodreader now interfaces with iCloud. It's obviously a much simpler case than Scrivener, and I noticed that you can't sync the iCloud data with Goodreader, only upload/download (you can sync entire Dropbox folders in Goodreader). So, yeah, it'll be a while, I guess, for a Scrivener/iCloud functional interface. No need to rush