what exactly does this mean?

Aisling13

Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 pm Post

"note that icons contained in the project package override icons stored in the application support directory?"

I am gathering a plethora of intriguing icons and using them to great delight in my Scrivener files for novels, flash fiction and entelechy memoirs with a twist.

I feel it would be wise to make sure I understand the sentence quoted above.

Thank you,

Laurel

http://web.me.com/alchemymercury/Symbol ... theme.html

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:35 am Post

(Moved to Technical Support - please don't post questions in the Tips & Tricks forum, just because that's intended for users to share tips with each other so we don't check that forum as often and your questions may get missed. Thanks!)

Hi Laurel,

When you import icons into the "Manage Icons..." sheet, you'll notice that there are two panes there. The list of icons in the top pane is titled "Icons in Project Package", and the bottom pane is titled "Icons in Application Support". When you import icons into the top list, the "Project Package" list, the icon files get placed inside your .scriv file - the project itself. The advantage of this is that you can then take that project to any other machine and the icons will show up in your project as they should, because the icons have become part of the project. By contrast, when you import icons into the bottom list, the "Application Support" list, the icons get imported into the ~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Icons folder on your local hard drive (where the tilde represents your home folder). The advantage of this approach is that when you load up another project, the icon will be available to apply to items in that project, too, because it is not limited to the current project; the disadvantage is that if you move the project to another machine, your custom icons won't show up in the project on that machine because they aren't part of the project itself but just stored on your local machine.

The sentence you quote merely means that if, say, you have an icon named "Star.png" stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Icons, and another icon named "Star.png" stored in the project itself, the one stored in the project will be used.

There's nothing stopping you from importing icons to both locations, of course. You could import your icons into the project package so that they will be available when you move the project to other computers, and import them into Application Support so that they are available to other projects on your current machine. And when you load another project, you can always open the "Manage Icons..." sheet and drag the icons from the Application Support pane into the project package pane to import the icons into that project too.

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Aisling13

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:43 am Post

Hi Keith,

Thank you. Your message helps immensely and makes it all very clear.
Is there a maximum number of icons one can import?
I am finding the images incredibly helpful in fathoming how to organize a plethora of insouciant data.
Thank you for a marvelous program. I must have five conversations a day about the marvels of Scrivener.
I even posted a question at a singles site. (wry grin).

Thanks again,

Laurel

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:18 am Post

Hi,

Glad it helped! The only limitation in number of icons is the size of your hard drive, and OS X limitations on how many files can be kept in a folder - which is something like six million, so I don't think you'll run into problems. I can't say the same for the singles site though. :)

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."