footnotes lost in export to Word

ar
archgetty
Platform: Mac

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 am Post

Using Scrivener 2.0.2. Exporting/compiling to rtf/word. Opening in Word 2008 for Mac, the footnotes didn't number, didn't become footnotes, still inline in the text in {brackets}. Help!

ge
geoffh

Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 am Post

It worked ok for me with same apps, and settings shown in graphic.
(Some of that graphic is being chopped off so also see link)
http://stashbox.org/1040885/footnote.jpg

cheers

geoff

KB
Site Admin

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:06 pm Post

Yes, footnotes definitely work fine in Word 2008 as long as you are using RTF, which you are. Did you process the document through a citations manager at all? You mention that the footnotes are in curly brackets, which they are not in Scrivener - were you using inline or inspector footnotes in Scriv?
All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ar
archgetty

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:13 am Post

My compile page looks exactly like Geoff's.
And yes, I'm using a citations manager that needs curly brackets, but footnotes that don't have them don't compile as footnotes either.

This in Scrivener:

Screen shot 2010-12-11 at 4.08.54 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-12-11 at 4.08.54 PM.png (41.52 KiB) Viewed 529 times

Comes out in Word:

Screen shot 2010-12-11 at 4.08.31 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-12-11 at 4.08.31 PM.png (35.55 KiB) Viewed 529 times

Thanks for any help!

ar
archgetty

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:49 pm Post

OK, I think I figured out my problem. I was selecting text and using:

Format > Footnote

to create the footnote, instead of

Format > Inline Footnote.

So now I have a hundred or so "footnotes" of the comment/footnote variety that I need to convert to Inline Footnotes. Is there any way to do this? When I use:

Format > Convert > Inspector Footnotes to Inline Footnotes

it doesn't convert the footnote but rather adds a new blank Inline Footnote at the end of each note.

Any quick fixes here?

(I love the program, but maybe the menus and UserManuel could be a little clearer about the two kinds of footnotes? Especially that Format menu!)

Thanks,
Arch

KB
Site Admin

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 am Post

There's no quick way, no, because you've added things in a rather odd way. Inspector footnotes - which you've used - create links to the text and the actual footnote in the inspector. When you created a footnote, the inspector would have appeared with a grey box in it saying "Footnote" and the cursor inside it ready for typing - I think this is fairly clear. :) So even if you use the conversion features, it won't do what you want. The only way is to go through and change them manually.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:40 pm Post

Chapter 16 goes over these features in depth, and in fact there are about three pages merely discussing the differences and pros and cons of each method in a summary format (much of which revolves around the concept of how note content is or is not in the text stream itself), and then in each section discussing inline and linked (§16.1 & 16.2) there are a further nearly half a dozen pages of discussion on how they work, including some general tips and how to use them and what to expect with RTF. If there is a lack of clarity in these ten pages or so, let me know where it is so I can improve it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles