Synopsis to text

Ra
Raskali
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:41 pm Post

I like to outline my projects in the corkboard mode where each card is a scene and they can be easily rearranged. This means I jot down notes on the cards which become the synopsis but the files themselves are empty. So when I want to start writing I have to copy and paste all the synopses into the corresponding text areas.

My question is: I know you can auto-generate a synopsis from text, but can you do the opposite and move the synopsis automatically into the text area?

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 pm Post

No...but may I ask why you want to? If all you want to do is to be able to reference the synopsis when you begin writing the scene, just open the inspector (the round blue button with "i" in it); you can also use the shortcut ctrl-opt-cmd-I to bring up the inspector showing the synopsis. Then you can have this open right next to you while you write.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ra
Raskali

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 am Post

I usually use what I write on the cards as the basis of my text. So it's more than referencing and I end up copying and pasting it all.

MimeticMouton

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:26 am Post

Ah. Sorry I couldn't help. :|
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

xiamenese

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 am Post

If I understand you properly, you should work the other way round ... type what you want to have as the synopsis on the cards into the document in the regular editor, then with the inspector open, click the box above the synopsis to automatically enter what is there in the document into the synopsis field. You'll then have the text in both places, which is what I understand you to want.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

MimeticMouton

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 am Post

Hmm, interesting thought. I think the idea is to be able to work with everything in broader strokes first using the corkboard, where you only have access to the synopsis (unless you lose the overview by switching to single document mode). Yes? But maybe you could do as Mark suggests using a split editor view, with the corkboard in one linked to the second editor, so you could get the overview and when you wanted to write up your synopsis on a card, click the card to open the actual document text in the second editor, type the "synopsis" notes in that, then auto-generate the synopsis so it will appear properly in the corkboard. Might that work?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ra
Raskali

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:12 am Post

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it's just a different way of working, getting an overview of the entire project for brainstorming. I'll just keep cutting and pasting for now.

ge
geoffh

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:01 am Post

Raskali: Ioa pointed out to me recently that one way to avoid copying each individual synopsis in this situation is to compile (say) the folder containing all your synopses (tick the synopsis checkbox in "Formatting"). Then you can copy and paste the entire compiled document.

But I actually would like what youre suggesting as an option too. In some of my usage cases, the text on my index cards would end up in the main document anyway, so it would save a few steps if I could choose to have this happen automatically.

geoff

sp
spinningdoc

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:08 am Post

I asked something similar a few weeks ago. Basically, there's no way of doing it automatically, Keith said.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:09 pm Post

The absolute easiest way to do this is to compile out just Titles and Synopsis using the plain MultMarkdown compiler. Then use the `File/Import/MultiMarkdown File...` menu command to select the compiled file. This will reproduce all of your outline structure and place the content of the synopsis cards into the text area for each item.

Since synopsis are plain-text anyway, there is no harm in using MMD (which is plain-text).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ra
Raskali

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 pm Post

Sounds like a good workaround, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

AmberV

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 pm Post

Oh, forgot to mention that Scrivener inserts "No Synopsis" if the file has none, so if you end up with a bunch of these, just use `Edit/Find/Project Replace` to strip them out.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Oh, forgot to mention that Scrivener inserts "No Synopsis" if the file has none, so if you end up with a bunch of these, just use `Edit/Find/Project Replace` to strip them out.

No it doesn't. :) At least, I don't think it does - I'm away from my development computer, but I'm sure I removed this behaviour ages ago.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

MimeticMouton

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:24 pm Post

Um...it does, unless there's a hidden setting somewhere to change that. :|
Last edited by MimeticMouton on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

AmberV

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:25 pm Post

Perhaps you removed it from everything but the MMD routines? I'm still getting that behaviour:

Compiled with Titles + Synopsis to MMD, produces:

Code: Select all

Base Header Level: 1
Title:
Author:
Format: complete

# one #

stuff

## a ##

No Synopsis

## b ##

No Synopsis