How do I compile with each Part header — "Part 1," "Part 2," etc — on its own page?

Jo
JordanG
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:40 pm Post

Hi all,

I've got my structure just the way I want it — Part (folder), Chapter (folder), Scene, Scene. And the format I chose, Manuscript (Times), compiles the project ALMOST how I want it.

However, I don't want the "Part 1" to hover over the the "Chapter 1," which is currently what's being done. (See screenshot.) I would like "Part 1" to be on its own page, as you often see in novels with parts.

Does anyone know how this is done while still keeping the recommended structure? I have read a few other posts in which this question was raised as part of a larger list of compiling questions, and it was never clear to me whether this specific question— involving Part headings getting their own page— was answered. (If it was, I guess I didn't understand the explanation.)

If anyone could address this specific question, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 1.26.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 1.26.49 PM.png (122.96 KiB) Viewed 254 times

drmajorbob

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:17 pm Post

JordanG wrote:If anyone could address this specific question, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 1.26.49 PM.png

The Part folders (or files) need a page break.

Look for the "part numbers" and "page break" videos here:

https://www.notion.so/deepspacecorps/A-Guide-to-Scrivener-f3f7df9fe6c6408a8b8e648b891d96fd

Sorry... wrong link! Here's a better one.

https://www.notion.so/deepspacecorps/Scrivener-Video-Shorts-a20eaddea62442e9b70bfef02728a64b
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

Jo
JordanG

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 am Post

Thank you, but this is a Windows demonstration. Are there any videos (or step-by-step instructions) that explain how to do what I'm asking with the current Mac version of Scrivener? I'm a little lost when it comes to watching a Windows demo and trying to understand how execute it for Mac.

Jo
JordanG

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 am Post

I'm really stuck here. The videos of I've looked up do not explain how to do what I'm trying to accomplish, even though it seems quite simple. And others asking this question in previous months received answers that seemed vague to me. Surely somebody knows a way to isolate "Part 1" on its own page while keeping the file structure (Part>Chapter>Scene) intact. I'm compiling in the Manuscript (Times) format, in case that makes any difference.

drmajorbob

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 am Post

JordanG wrote:Thank you, but this is a Windows demonstration. Are there any videos (or step-by-step instructions) that explain how to do what I'm asking with the current Mac version of Scrivener? I'm a little lost when it comes to watching a Windows demo and trying to understand how execute it for Mac.

My links above are for Mac, not that the Mac and Windows version 3 are different enough to matter.

drmajorbob

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:32 am Post

JordanG wrote:I'm really stuck here. The videos of I've looked up do not explain how to do what I'm trying to accomplish, even though it seems quite simple. And others asking this question in previous months received answers that seemed vague to me. Surely somebody knows a way to isolate "Part 1" on its own page while keeping the file structure (Part>Chapter>Scene) intact. I'm compiling in the Manuscript (Times) format, in case that makes any difference.

My links answer that question.

Jo
JordanG

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:45 pm Post

I followed the links and watched the videos. One of them (the first one) is, in fact, a Windows platform demo. But regardless, neither link provided me information that I understood to be the answer.

If anyone else reads this and has the bandwidth to post a step-by-step, or at least something beyond "here's a link," I would really appreciate it. It's fine, drmajorbob, if you aren't that person. I'm not asking you to elaborate if you can't. But please don't dismiss me with "the links explain it" when I've made it clear that, for me, they don't.

Thanks.

Me
Merx

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:37 pm Post

Another user posted a sample project and description showing how to get parts on their own pages.

I know this is another link, but I think it will probably help you.

viewtopic.php?p=272849#p272849

If you can’t find the separators mentioned, let us know. Would also help to know how your project is structured and if you have assigned a unique section layout to the parts.

Merx

drmajorbob

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:21 am Post

JordanG wrote:I followed the links and watched the videos. One of them (the first one) is, in fact, a Windows platform demo. But regardless, neither link provided me information that I understood to be the answer.

If anyone else reads this and has the bandwidth to post a step-by-step, or at least something beyond "here's a link," I would really appreciate it. It's fine, drmajorbob, if you aren't that person. I'm not asking you to elaborate if you can't. But please don't dismiss me with "the links explain it" when I've made it clear that, for me, they don't.

Thanks.

I have posted numerous step-by-step workflows, as have many others. I can tutor you one-on-one if you like, but not for free.