Confirm Quit

pa
passager
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:31 am Post

Hi,

I work for years on Scrivener but I just realized that when I hit Command+Q, the app quits without asking a confirmation. As I happen to often use Command+A to change the style of existing files (ahem, no themes or "real" stylesheets to do the job), I often strike the wrong character and have to relaunch the app.
Is there a way to request confirmation before quitting ? I found nothing in the preferences.

Thanks

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:58 am Post

passage,

Fellow Scriv user here -- passing through with an idea:

You can use your Apple System Prefs to change the key command for Quit (in Scrivener) to something you will not accidentally hit. For example, maybe opt-cmd-Q.

I so rarely quit out of Scrivener, it hardly even needs a key command in my workflow!*

-gr

p.s. Of course, you would not lose any work if you accidentally quit out of Scriv.

* I mean, when I actually working.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 am Post

Yeah, I'd recommend an approach of that nature. It would be very unusual to ask for confirmation on quit, especially in a program that auto-saves like Scrivener.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

go
gotbisco

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:59 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Yeah, I'd recommend an approach of that nature. It would be very unusual to ask for confirmation on quit, especially in a program that auto-saves like Scrivener.

About once a week I inadvertently quit Scrivener while trying to close a window with Command W, easily hitting the Command Q by mistake.

With the larger files I'm often working on, it takes a minute for the file to save and another minute to re-open. If there were a quit confirm option, as seen in many other programs where closing windows is a common command (ie Chrome), it would be quite useful and much appreciated.

Silverdragon

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:20 pm Post

Just as an opposing viewpoint:

I gladly put up with the occasional "oops I meant to type ctrl-w but hit ctrl-q" Scrivener shutdown rather than have the constant annoyance of "did you really mean to quit?" I loathe that mickey-mouse bs.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.5

auxbuss

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 pm Post

Just as an opposing-opposing viewpoint:

I've remapped Close Tab and Quit Scrivener to Cmd+Opt+W & Q, because I used to frequently close Scrivener accidentally due to mistyping some other key-command – can't recall which.

If it were just close and reopen, I'd not bother with the remapping, but there are many more issues:

• You lose your undo/redo history. That's a royal pain in the arse when editing. Yes, yes, snapshots, but you can't be making them for every little thing, especially when…
  • You have four or more projects open at once, so restarting is non-trivial.
  • And to compound this: I work full screen and there are bugs in the template system when going full screen. (I've detailed the bugs on this forum in the past, but they were ignored – which is why I no longer report bugs, though I do (very rarely) complain about terrible design choices, but those are ignored as well <shrug>) This means that every project needs to be configured manually on every load.

So, although I loath "Did you really mean that?" message-boxes too, in Scrivener's case I would very much appreciate the option.

go
gotbisco

Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:18 am Post

auxbuss wrote:
[list]

[*]You have four or more projects open at once, so restarting is non-trivial..

Exactly that. I'm frequently opening multiple projects at once. The time to wind them down and re-open each one starts to add up.

drmajorbob

Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:47 am Post

gotbisco wrote:
AmberV wrote:Yeah, I'd recommend an approach of that nature. It would be very unusual to ask for confirmation on quit, especially in a program that auto-saves like Scrivener.

About once a week I inadvertently quit Scrivener while trying to close a window with Command W, easily hitting the Command Q by mistake.

With the larger files I'm often working on, it takes a minute for the file to save and another minute to re-open. If there were a quit confirm option, as seen in many other programs where closing windows is a common command (ie Chrome), it would be quite useful and much appreciated.

If a project is that large, I'd put it on a diet. For instance, my WIP (Work In endless Procrastination) uses quite a few images, but I keep them external to the project, so Scrivener doesn't need them until Compile.

https://www.notion.so/deepspacecorps/Managing-Images-in-Scrivener-c0d536a7edd94d2b81a789f4d4d7d606

You can link to reference material in a similar way.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

go
gotbisco

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:50 am Post

drmajorbob wrote:
gotbisco wrote:

If a project is that large, I'd put it on a diet. For instance, my WIP (Work In endless Procrastination) uses quite a few images, but I keep them external to the project, so Scrivener doesn't need them until Compile.

https://www.notion.so/deepspacecorps/Managing-Images-in-Scrivener-c0d536a7edd94d2b81a789f4d4d7d606

You can link to reference material in a similar way.

I appreciate the tip but in this instance my projects are almost all text files with very little if any images included in the documents. For several reasons it doesn't make sense in my case to reduce the file size particularly as the only negative of that size is that it takes a long time to save, open, and close--which isn't inconvenient except when accidentally quitting the program.

drmajorbob

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:09 am Post

If the project is only text and takes a ling time to open, your machine is abysmally slow or there’s a serious problem of another kind. Even a million words would be not many megabytes.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

Me
Merx

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:35 am Post

A macOS app that adds a global delay of 1 second to the Cmd-Q shortcut. In other words, you have to hold down Cmd-Q for 1 second before an application will quit.

https://github.com/dteoh/SlowQuitApps#readme

Might help?

Merx

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 am Post

Maybe a preference (off by default) that allows such a confirmation to be used by people who want it and don't want to remap their key bindings for one program?
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

go
gotbisco

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 pm Post

devinganger wrote:

Maybe a preference (off by default) that allows such a confirmation to be used by people who want it and don't want to remap their key bindings for one program?

That type of option would be terrific.

kewms

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:19 pm Post

drmajorbob wrote:If the project is only text and takes a ling time to open, your machine is abysmally slow or there’s a serious problem of another kind. Even a million words would be not many megabytes.

What he said. Do you have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of snapshots? Are you saving to a USB stick or other relatively slow media (which we don't recommend)?

When you say "a minute" do you mean a literal minute, or does it just seem like a long time because it's an interruption?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

auxbuss

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:40 pm Post

Merx wrote:
A macOS app that adds a global delay of 1 second to the Cmd-Q shortcut. In other words, you have to hold down Cmd-Q for 1 second before an application will quit.

https://github.com/dteoh/SlowQuitApps#readme
Nice find. Thanks :-)