Project not appearing on iPad.

SM
SMCs
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:41 pm Post

rms wrote:Screen shot of how the projects appear when viewed with the IOS Dropbox app would maybe be usedul. May be better way to detect Dropbox issues than with Files.

Also look at Dropvox FAQ for any indications of of icons or messages. Feels like permissions or maybe incomplete syncs but I do not know as ok cannot see your evidence and I have never had to debug Dropbox. Others here may have more knowledge.

I have dragged and dropped the screenshot taken on my iPad and sent by email and then opened in Preview. Long method but it is the only one I could figure out. I have never done this before so I do not know if you cannot see it.

In any case it seems it cannot be an incomplete sync, because it is perfectly usable ( the project) and shared between my laptop ( MBP) and my desktop ( iMac). It is only the iPad that cannot see it. I have never been confortable with the syncing via Dropbox between iOS and MacOS, but this is frankly ridiculous.

Thanks for any possible help, and I hope I will be able to use the software the way it claims it works and what made me pay for the Mac and IOS version.

PS In the preview I cannot see the screenshot I have dragged over ( as per the web page instructions) I do hope you can see it as an attachment. On my end the attachment is there.

rm
rms
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:51 pm Post

All Dropbox files are local. My hunch is that the files on your iPad are corrupt or not completely synced. I do not know this for sure nor how it can be. Just because files on on the computers says nothing about on iPad. Consider installing Dropbox on iPad and ok it back to get a fresh sync.

For me and many others dropbox works pretty well

kewms

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm Post

A troubleshooting guide for iOS synchronization can be found here: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... os-syncing

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

SM
SMCs

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:43 am Post

kewms wrote:A troubleshooting guide for iOS synchronization can be found here: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... os-syncing

Katherine

Thank you for the suggestion Katherine.

While I was settling in to read this page as per your suggestion, I fired up my iPad, forced it to sync with Dropbox ( as I always do) and for reason or reasons unknown, my project NOW DOES appear in the list and I can open it. However, I still want to leave my questions and set of mind out there:

1.- The version of my project I manage to open with Scrivener on my iPad, IS NOT the one (even if it does have the same name, but is simply missing the latest cork board card on my Research folder created over an hour ago while on my desktop) I have been working on this morning until well over a full hour ago at the very least.

2- The latest edit was done on my iMac at home, and it is the same version my MBP opens right now, at my office desk. There are no syncing problems whatsoever between my Macs running Big Sur.

3.- My office desk is also where I have my iPad which, though connected to the same wifi network AND the same Dropbox account and at the exact same time, OPENS the file, but this file it opens IS NOT THE LATEST version, but the one I went to bed with last night.

4.- So to be perfectly clear, Scrivener for iPad access is working with older versions of the latest project ( yes when going to Dropbox thru the Files app or the Dropbox app, on the iPad to be clear yet again, the date and time stamp ARE of the latest version, this version being the one Scrivener for iPad cannot apparently manage to find).

So this leaves the following questions open:

1.- Why, if Scrivener is just supposed to access Dropbox as a "normal" file/folder regardless of where you place it on your computer/iPad, does it not show the latest version?

2.- and even worse!!!: will my work, if I choose to use the version Scrivener actually opens in iPad and edit it, be corrupted if and when I save it back????? I think this is a genuine concern, because I have had these issues before, albeit a long time ago since I have only recently gone back to using Scrivener after a long period. And a quick look through these forums clearly shows that other people have also lost their work, sometimes long files over 50+ thousand words ( which is exactly what happened to me about 3 years ago and made me drop Scrivener altogether then, until last week when I started a new project and bought a new iPad Air 4).

If this concern of mine is important, please feel free to open a new thread which I am sure will get more hits than this older one. I will try to contribute to it.

Meantime, I did not want to simply fade away without pointing out that my issue has, at least partially, solved itself ( I have to the best of my knowledge done nothing in particular to solve it, but again I am quite the average ignorant). But I still have legit concerns....

rm
rms

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:28 am Post

Just a hunch but all evidence points to iPad Dropbox not syncing at the same intervals as on your real computers ...

SM
SMCs

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:23 pm Post

rms wrote:Just a hunch but all evidence points to iPad Dropbox not syncing at the same intervals as on your real computers ...

So it does, so it does.... Except for the fact that the Files and the Dropbox native app do register the correct file. And that I do force Scrivener for iPad to sync before opening the file. So it is only AScrivener not registering the syncing that all the others know has been made. And since Srivener is not supposed to have any syncing issues, I ask myself why that is and I cannot help but really mistrust Scrivener to not damage or corrupt all my previous work, as it has done a few times before.

So I must conclude Scrivener is quite simply not to be trusted to work seamlessly from iOS to MAC OS using Dropbox.

rm
rms

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:16 pm Post

Simply, not my experience.

lunk

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:53 pm Post

rms wrote:Just a hunch but all evidence points to iPad Dropbox not syncing at the same intervals as on your real computers ...

On computers, the Dropbox app handles syncing in the background, while you are using the computer, irrespective of what you are doing.

On an iPad, Scrivener itself handles the syncing of Scrivener projects with the Dropbox server, when you tap the sync icon, inside Scrivener in the project screen.

It’s completely different procedures, caused by the sandboxing in iOS.

If you are sure that the version on the Dropbox server is up to date, and in the correct location (!), syncing iOS Scrivener downloads that version from the server.

I have been doing this for years and never ever had a glitch. And all reports in the forum eventually boil down to handling error.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

rm
rms

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:08 pm Post

lunk wrote:

I have been doing this for years and never ever had a glitch.

Me too.

As
Ascher

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:52 pm Post

rms wrote:
lunk wrote:

I have been doing this for years and never ever had a glitch.

Me too.

I know it's really frustrating for the affected user, but Lunk has been *really* good at chasing down and resolving these sync issues for a number of people for what seems like a number of years. Unless I've missed something, the problem has always been some kind of user misapprehension over the way Dropbox actually operates, with either MacOs or iOs - or both.

FWIW - I use the sync with both every day - working on on a number of connected parts of a large non-fiction project. I have never lost anything either.

kewms

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm Post

Guidance for backing up the iPad version of the project can be found here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... -backed-up

Sync issues or not, having extra backups is never bad.

The timestamp on the .scriv folder is not a reliable indicator of the contents of the project. The individual component files can change without affecting the overall timestamp. ALWAYS manually sync the project from within iOS Scrivener itself.

Mac OS is a true multitasking operating system. iOS is not. What this means is that Dropbox on the Mac can (and does) toddle along in the background, updating the server as you work, and therefore allowing other Macs to update their copies in near-real time (depending on the relevant internet connections). This cannot and does not occur on iOS, which is why iOS Scrivener has to be manually synchronized.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

SM
SMCs

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 pm Post

I am going to drop this issue for myself, with mymsinvere thanks to all.

It SEEMS to be working now, though I must confuse I have only corrected a single spelling mistake on the iPad.

Again thanks to all and will definitely try and remember to manually sync on the iPad when I start the app.

lunk

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 pm Post

SMCs wrote:... will definitely try and remember to manually sync on the iPad when I start the app.

AND when you finish writing! Make a habit of syncing every time you open the app and before leaving it. Always back out to the project screen and sync before leaving the app.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

rm
rms

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:23 am Post

SMCs wrote:I am going to drop this issue for myself, with mymsinvere thanks to all.

It SEEMS to be working now, though I must confuse I have only corrected a single spelling mistake on the iPad.

Again thanks to all and will definitely try and remember to manually sync on the iPad when I start the app.

Had it occurred to me that you weren't doing this, would have recommended you do so at the beginning. Guess this needs to be the first debugging question in future incidents like this.

And as @lunk says ... do it via Scrivener on the way in and way out. Pay no attention, really, to what Files is telling you.