Is anyone using Scrivener for poetry manuscripting?

wa
watersword
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 am Post

nom wrote:I do have a technical question: why did you use Terminal for the screenshot? Indeed, how did you use Terminal for the screenshot? It would never in a thousand years have occurred to me to use Terminal for that...

I don't like Grab, and I generally have Terminal open anyway. For one-use things like this, if I use

Code: Select all

screencapture ~/Desktop/poetryworkspace.jpg
, it's faster and more in my usual workflow. But what works for me may not work for you, grain of salt, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, etc., etc.!

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 am Post

watersword wrote:I don't like Grab, and I generally have Terminal open anyway. For one-use things like this, if I use

Code: Select all

screencapture ~/Desktop/poetryworkspace.jpg
, it's faster and more in my usual workflow. But what works for me may not work for you, grain of salt, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, etc., etc.!

Thanks. 8)
I'm more of a keyboard shortcut kinda guy (Cmd-Shft-4, Spacebar) so I forget that Grab is even involved. Nice to learn more.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

ma
mandrake

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:03 am Post

I complete at least one poem a day using Scrivener. I collect all the poems for a year in folders named A, B, C etc. I also keep a collection for each month, to keep me honest (as I am committed to doing poetry practice daily). I also keep collections of keywords, based on saved searches, e.g 'red' (which I just did, discovering to my surprise that I have used the word in 13 different poems this year) and-why not?-'blue', which I have used in 16 poems. Hmm. Perhaps I could publish themes collection...I now have so many poems that I will have to start doing keyword collections, e.g. sonnet, metaphysical, etc.

All my significant offcuts go into the 'Offcuts' Project Notes, and all of my editorial comments and my own ideas go into the poem's Documents Notes. If I have an idea for a poem, e.g. 'I wondered lonely as a runaway ride-on mower...' I begin a new poem (= new doc) and just leave it hanging and go onto something else.

But the numbering system could be better, as I am a counter of lines. However, the count always begins at the poem title, which makes my brain work harder. But the title doesn't have to be there, you say. Well, actually, it does, as it is the pennant around which my brain rallies in moments of desperation.

I prefer not to capitalise the beginning of every line.
Hardly
Anyone
Does
Anymore.

Cheers,
Pete

he
heathquinn
Platform: Windows

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:25 am Post

I love Scrivener, and use it for every creative writing task, including poetry.

However, backspacing to correct auto-caps on first words of new lines, when I've broken a sentence across one or more lines, can be pretty maddening.

I would love a Poetry template with an option to turn new line first word auto-capitalization on/off.

You see, enjambment is a central structural component of modern poetry, and what that means is it's more common than not that a sentence will break across a new line - or new strophe - without the sentence having been completed and closed. And presently, most poets who use enjambment don't cap the first word of every line - they cap the first word of every sentence.

In modern poetry:
-- The start of a new line does not signal a new sentence.
-- The start of a new strophe (stanza / paragraph) does not signal a new sentence.
-- What signals a new sentence is any sentence-closing punctuation - full stop, semi-color, question mark or exclamation point.

Whether to auto-cap or not on the first word of a new line should be up to the poet, in a Poetry template setup.

BTW: a few poets never cap at all - for them, a Poetry template with the option to turn off all first word capitalization would be helpful.

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 am Post

I'm not sure about the Windows version, but in Mac you can go to Preferences > Corrections > Auto-Capitalization > uncheck Fix capitalization of sentences.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.