Proverbs for Paranoids

de
designdog

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:37 am Post

Don't know if you picked up on this, but Thomas Pynchon recently wrote a letter to The Daily Telegraph on Ian McEwan's defense. The paper showed an image of the letter, clearly written on an artifact from the middle of the past century, which used to be known as a "typewriter."

Pynchon fans would argue that the typewriter is a perfect metaphor for the post-modernist. Lapsed technology.

On page 251 of Against the Day I found a word that fools Scrivener as well as the OED: "aptotic." Thinks it's from the Greek and something about declination. Not sure. My typewriter doesn't have a spell checker.

This is not from TP:

If you're after a gift that's refined,
Showing insight and presence of mind,
Ask around in the town
For an aptotic noun
Such as "sheep," since it can't be declined.

-ddog

bu
bungalow1225

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:55 am Post

Well, not "declination" - rather, "declension." It's a good one to know though. Thanks!

B1225

bobm

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:57 pm Post

An aptote is a noun that has no declensions, that is it's undeclinable. 'Aptotic noun' is redundant. Aptote comes from the Latin 'aptotum'.

I didn't know any of this, of course, but it took only a quick web search to figure it out. I'd be shocked if it wasn't in the OED. :?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:43 pm Post

It is the 2nd edition:

aptotic, a.
[f. prec. + -IC, after Gr. <bunch of Greek characters I don't know how to type>]
Uninflected. Applied to languages which have no grammatical inflexions.

...which links to an even more fun word (in my opinion):

anaptotic, a.
Falling back from inflexion, again uninflected. Applied, by some, to languages, in which most of the inflexions have disappeared by phonetic decay, their place being supplied by relational words and rules of position.

1850 LATHAM Varieties of Man 12 Languages of the English type, Anaptotic.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

cr
cruxdestruct

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:15 pm Post

Really, I'm quite surprised that a levelled accusation of redundancy in a thread built around lexical discovery and delight would not include an invocation of the classic: pleonastic.

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:10 pm Post

Wow, cool. Pity I was away the day they did latin and don't understand a word. But I am impressed, and maybe a little scared.
J

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:19 pm Post

Jot wrote:Wow, cool. Pity I was away the day they did latin and don't understand a word. But I am impressed, and maybe a little scared.

Lol. This reminds me of a friend of mine who once, upon being asked for directions by two Spanish tourists in London, decided to try out his GCSE Spanish on them in his reply. To which they replied, "You are scaring us very much now."

ka
katzenjammer

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 pm Post

hah! Funny keith!

A true story: I spent some years in Guatemala. When I first arrived (in a very rural area, and me with zero spanish), I attempted to arrange for lodgings at (what appeared to be) a nunnery of some kind. I had been told they rented out their spare rooms.

However, I intended to rent by the week - and not by the night. The staff, though, kept quoting to me the nightly rate. And I kept responding with, "por favor, senora -- por hermana, por hermana," thinking I was saying, "please madam, per week, per week," when I was in fact saying, "please madam, per sister, per sister." Week is "semana." :oops: