Scrivener users, where do you backup your files?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:58 pm Post

drmajorbob wrote:There IS no static copy of a project when the project is open. Where did you lose the thread? Backblaze is set for continuous backup at my machine, and I don't see another option (though it may exist).

Sure there is. By default, Scrivener would have made a backup the last time the project was closed. It might not be *current,* but it exists.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

drmajorbob

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:06 am Post

JimRac wrote:Consider this post: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66323

If the poster has been making zipped backups right along, then recovering the project will be *trivial*, and words lost will be equal to those written since the last backup was made. This is because a zipped backup is a static snapshot of data, hence a *true* backup.

However, if the poster's only 'backup' is that his project's on Dropbox...well, who can say? It's possible he might be able to put it back together again. Then again, maybe not. All he can do is roll up his sleeves and try. This is because Dropbox is a *syncing service*, not a true backup.

I wish that poster the best, and hope he's been making zipped backups right along.

Moreover, that poster 's files probably are not gone. He only cannot find them. I've seen that scenario many, many times.

I bet you a nickel I can find his files, too ... if he hasn't deleted them in a post-traumatic frenzy.
Last edited by drmajorbob on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

kewms

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 am Post

This thread has jumped all over the place, so I'd like to bring it back to reality by describing the scenario I commonly see.

* User stores projects "in Dropbox," (or iCloud, or OneDrive) but has no Time Machine volume or third-party backup service. Probably the user depends on a free-level Dropbox account, so no versioning either.

* Machine is left running all the time, with Scrivener up and running, which means that Scrivener's own automatic backups never run or run rarely. (Note that closing a laptop "sleeps" it instantly. Scrivener remains open and no backup is made.)

* Data loss occurs for whatever reason: maybe Scrivener crashed, maybe a toddler pounded on the keyboard, maybe an evil ex-girlfriend/boyfriend wreaked havoc.

(As soon as the data loss occurs, Dropbox helpfully propagates the changes to their server and thence to all connected devices.)

* User sends plaintive wail to Technical Support. "Scrivener ate my data!!!"

And there isn't a darn thing I can do to help. No automatic backups, no third party backups, not a darn thing anyone can do.

I'm pretty sure that *none* of the participants in this thread is likely to find themselves in the same situation as the hapless user described above. But this user is why I am so adamantly opposed to the suggestion that "if it's in Dropbox, you'll be fine."

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

drmajorbob

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 am Post

kewms wrote:
drmajorbob wrote:There IS no static copy of a project when the project is open. Where did you lose the thread? Backblaze is set for continuous backup at my machine, and I don't see another option (though it may exist).

Sure there is. By default, Scrivener would have made a backup the last time the project was closed. It might not be *current,* but it exists.

Katherine

Yes, of course a canny user has zip files and probably backs them up somewhere; I mean there is no static, uncompressed copy of an open project.

Neither the awesomeness of a backup (in the sense you mean it) nor the carelessness/ignorance of others means I cannot retrieve a backup from Dropbox. Preferably a zip backup in Dropbox. I don't trust uncompressed project backups no matter where we put them.

drmajorbob

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:12 am Post

kewms wrote:But this user is why I am so adamantly opposed to the suggestion that "if it's in Dropbox, you'll be fine."

Katherine

I certainly never said that.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 am Post

drmajorbob wrote:
kewms wrote:But this user is why I am so adamantly opposed to the suggestion that "if it's in Dropbox, you'll be fine."

Katherine

I certainly never said that.
Excellent! Discussion over. :mrgreen:
I’m just a customer.