which would be best for Scrivener: a new mac or iPad?

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 am Post

tsolignani wrote:Thank you everyone.

As a matter of fact, I own an Air 11 and I love it. It's the max I use at the office, hooked to an external monitor, keyboard and... trackball - yes, I prefer it.

Over the time, its shell got bent. It's like something exploded inside and it looks egg shaped now, you can't close the lid. I have no idea why, first time it happens with a Mac. Since I use it as a desktop machine I just don't care.

Eventually I found out a 12 MacBook with i5 and 500g SSD refurbished late 2017 and I bought it. With 350€ more I could have bought a brand new MacBook air but with 128 SSD and a even if just a bit larger size and weight. So I don't know if I did it right, I guess I'm just trying it then I could return if it doesn't click with me and go with the 2020 MBA.

Thank you and have a nice Sunday.

Regarding the section I emphasized, do an internet search for swollen batteries. If that’s what’s caused your Air’s shape to become distorted you should unplug it/stop using it. It needs repair—it’s a fire hazard.

A sample article from iFixit:
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to_do_ ... en_battery
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:51 pm Post

scshrugged wrote:
tsolignani wrote:Thank you everyone.

As a matter of fact, I own an Air 11 and I love it. It's the max I use at the office, hooked to an external monitor, keyboard and... trackball - yes, I prefer it.

Over the time, its shell got bent. It's like something exploded inside and it looks egg shaped now, you can't close the lid. I have no idea why, first time it happens with a Mac. Since I use it as a desktop machine I just don't care.

Eventually I found out a 12 MacBook with i5 and 500g SSD refurbished late 2017 and I bought it. With 350€ more I could have bought a brand new MacBook air but with 128 SSD and a even if just a bit larger size and weight. So I don't know if I did it right, I guess I'm just trying it then I could return if it doesn't click with me and go with the 2020 MBA.

Thank you and have a nice Sunday.

Regarding the section I emphasized, do an internet search for swollen batteries. If that’s what’s caused your Air’s shape to become distorted you should unplug it/stop using it. It needs repair—it’s a fire hazard.

A sample article from iFixit:
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to_do_ ... en_battery

Second that! I had it happen with the battery in my first 17" MBP. I was about to give a class at the time, and suddenly found I couldn't use the trackpad. I also realised the MBP was unstable and had a look underneath and saw that the battery—fortunately exterior!—had swollen slightly. So I took the battery out and used mains power.

By the time I got it to the dealer, two hours later, the battery had swollen by another centimetre!

Sadly, batteries are no longer accessible from the outside.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

tsolignani

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:59 pm Post

Thank you to the both of you.

I guess you are right, I'll see if I can get it fixed. I just wonder whether replacing the battery would get back its previous shape or instead the ovalization is there to stay.

Thank you.

auxbuss

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:06 pm Post

lunk wrote:
auxbuss wrote:
lunk wrote:The nicest part about a Macbook 12" is that it is as silent as an iPad and it doesn’t het as hot as my MBP. I can use it in bed when my wife is going to sleep.

The new MBA is similar – I don't know about the old one. The only time I've heard the fan is during macOS updates.

The 12" doesn’t have a fan. :)

Yes, I know. That's why I qualified the fact the new MBA has a fan. :?
ImageImage

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:41 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:the new MBA has a fan. :?

Well, my 12" MacBook actually has one fan - me! :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

auxbuss

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:48 pm Post

lunk wrote:Well, my 12" MacBook actually has one fan - me! :D

A friend of mine had one, so I tried it out. Had it not been for the screen size, I'd have bought it. It's pretty much perfect as a writing machine.
ImageImage

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:46 pm Post

tsolignani wrote:

This sounds a little like the battery has warped; if so it’s potentially dangerous to keep using, and you should get it checked out!

tsolignani

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:36 pm Post

Thank you. I had already been told and provided subsequently. Thanks again.