which would be best for Scrivener: a new mac or iPad?

tsolignani
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:23 am Post

Good morning everyone.

I need a new device, mostly to keep writing with Scrivener, and I wonder what would be best, a new macbook or an iPad?

Please consider I use mac as a desktop computer, but Android for mobile devices, I am not into Apple ecosystem anymore, only the desktop part. My phone is a Note 10 and I am not giving it away.

I just wonder if an iPad would be as good, or even better, as a macbook for Scrivener using purposes.

Is the dictation feature better now on iOS? When I used to use it it wasn't so good, Android was better.

Any other hint?

Thank you.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:49 pm Post

The iOS version is a kind of companion app, in my opinion. iOS doesn’t give you the same overview. You can’t see the Binder, Editor and Inspector at the same time, There is no split screen. And so on. The iOS version is much more limited. I only use it in very special circumstances where a laptop would be to cumbersome to handle.

But I use my iPad for almost all searching-reading-annotating scientific literature. It’s way better than any laptop or phone for that purpose.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Daniela Wolfe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:47 pm Post

I'm with Lunk, the iOS version just isn't as powerful as the Mac or even Windows version. It's great for editing or some light writing on the go, but if I'm in a situation where I could bring my laptop I'd definitely leave my ipad home.
Have a deliciously demented day,

krastev
Platform: Windows

Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:31 pm Post

I would get a macbook if I were you.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

tsolignani

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 pm Post

Thank you and... got it.

I guess I'll search for a second hand MacBook 12, something really light I can bring with me in a rucksack.

It's a pity the iOS version offers only a subset. I hope the Android one will be richer than that and it should be if they work it from the windows version.

It there is only a subset you can edit txt files into external folders synced as well.

Thanks again.

auxbuss

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm Post

I had to make this choice in 2018. I went with the new MBA (which was announced while I was thinking), and I've had no regrets. I also have a 15" MBP as a "desktop" and sync everything via iCloud.

The MBA is very much my writing machine, so the base model was fine, and I've installed very few additional apps on it other than Scapple and Aeon Timeline. It can drive a big monitor too, when necessary.

The points @lunk made chime with me. (I also always have two or more projects open in tabs (switching with ctrl+shift+tab), which may or may not be simple in iOS. I don't know.)

Most of all I love the portability and battery life of the Air. Just using Scriv, you can easily get 14-16 hours (or more) out of it.
ImageImage

kewms

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:34 pm Post

Is this a primary device or a secondary device?

If you plan to develop complete manuscripts from start to finish, you'll probably be happier with a Mac. If you want a mobile option for notetaking and light editing and organization, the portability of an iPad is hard to beat.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Silverdragon

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:47 pm Post

Also consider the humble MacBook Air 11.6 2015. It’s almost as light as the MacBook 12, has a much better keyboard, and has better performance numbers than the early MacBook 12. I work around the narrower screen by automatically hiding and showing the Dock (System Preferences, Dock pane) and the Menu Bar (System Preferences, General pane.) I've spent years schlepping it around Los Angeles, to Europe, etc. The drawback is that it doesn't have the high resolution "Retina" screen (on the other hand, there's a quick hidden system setting that will let you put the MacBook Air 11.6 into 1280x720 HiDPI mode, a little cramped but nice and crisp.)

By the time you add a keyboard and case, let alone an Apple Pencil or a mouse/trackpad, the MacBook 12 or MacBook Air 11.6 is the same mass as an iPad Pro kit, so personally I don't see the iPad advantage for an app like Scrivener. Even a new MacBook Air is only slightly heavier.

Happy shopping, whatever you decide!
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.6

lunk

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:33 pm Post

The nicest part about a Macbook 12" is that it is as silent as an iPad and it doesn’t het as hot as my MBP. I can use it in bed when my wife is going to sleep.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

popcornflix

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:14 pm Post

there's a quick hidden system setting that will let you put the MacBook Air 11.6 into 1280x720 HiDPI mode

Do tell...
.:popcornFlix:.

Silverdragon

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:25 pm Post

Oh... OK, let me look it up in my notes... From Jim Tanous on http://www.tekreview.com:

Jim Tanous wrote:First, fire up a new Terminal window and then copy and paste the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Press Return to execute the command and, because this is a “sudo” command, enter your admin password when prompted. Next, reboot your Mac and, upon logging back in, head to System Preferences > Displays.

Here, you’ll see the familiar preference window where you can set your resolution and refresh rate. Most users will likely have the “Default for Display” option checked, which is typically your display’s native resolution. Click Scaled to reveal additional resolutions and you’ll see one or more options at the bottom of the list with “(HiDPI)” appended to their resolutions. Click on one of the HiDPI modes to enable it on your desired display.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Apple may have closed this loophole. But it can be re-opened with SwitchResX, free to try, $16 USD at https://www.madrau.com.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.6

popcornflix

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:53 am Post

Thanks, Silverdragon!
.:popcornFlix:.

auxbuss

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:20 am Post

lunk wrote:The nicest part about a Macbook 12" is that it is as silent as an iPad and it doesn’t het as hot as my MBP. I can use it in bed when my wife is going to sleep.

The new MBA is similar – I don't know about the old one. The only time I've heard the fan is during macOS updates.
ImageImage

lunk

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:23 am Post

auxbuss wrote:
lunk wrote:The nicest part about a Macbook 12" is that it is as silent as an iPad and it doesn’t het as hot as my MBP. I can use it in bed when my wife is going to sleep.

The new MBA is similar – I don't know about the old one. The only time I've heard the fan is during macOS updates.

The 12" doesn’t have a fan. :)

tsolignani

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:18 am Post

Thank you everyone.

As a matter of fact, I own an Air 11 and I love it. It's the max I use at the office, hooked to an external monitor, keyboard and... trackball - yes, I prefer it.

Over the time, its shell got bent. It's like something exploded inside and it looks egg shaped now, you can't close the lid. I have no idea why, first time it happens with a Mac. Since I use it as a desktop machine I just don't care.

Eventually I found out a 12 MacBook with i5 and 500g SSD refurbished late 2017 and I bought it. With 350€ more I could have bought a brand new MacBook air but with 128 SSD and a even if just a bit larger size and weight. So I don't know if I did it right, I guess I'm just trying it then I could return if it doesn't click with me and go with the 2020 MBA.

Thank you and have a nice Sunday.