Using Scrivener with Sidecar or Duet Display

br
brett

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:32 am Post

Since my old Cinema Display faded to perpetual black, I've been using Duet with my 2015 MacBook Pro (too old for Sidecar) and my iPad Pro. I like it so much that I'm contemplating not replacing the late external display. But I haven't figured out how to use this set up with Scrivener.

My usual way of drafting a story is to put the source material for each file (that is, each section of the draft) in the Draft in a Document Note for that file, and then write in the body of each file, while referring to (and often pasting material from) the source material in that Document Note, displayed in the Inspector. But I don't know how to make the project stretch across the two screens. I'd like to devote all my MacBook screen space to each draft file while, keeping my reference material over on the iPad, but still in my Scrivener project.

I guess for now a workaround would be to add an extra step: after arranging all the source material in the appropriate Document Note, copy and paste that material into a TextEdit document that could live on the iPad, and then just display the appropriate draft file without showing the the Document Note (i.e. closing the Inspector). Is there an easier way?

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:42 am Post

If I've understood this right, you simply want to see one document in the main screen editor, and the notes to that document (or another one) on the second screen. Is that right?

If so, can't you open the document as a Quick Reference window (right click on it in the Binder and choose Open in Quick Reference) and move it to the second screen? You can can choose to show any of the document's inspector panels (including the notes) in that QR window as well as the text itself (you can't hide the text completely, but you can minimise it). This is one of the main uses of the QR Windows. It's similar to the way the Inspector works if you're in Composition mode - a separate HUD which you can move to another screen if you want.

Sorry if I've misunderstood!

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 pm Post

Another possibility I've occasionally used: In System Preferences->Mission Control, I unchecked "Displays have separate spaces". This lets me expand my main Scriv window across more than one display.

BTW, I've moved on from Duet Display, and switched to YAM Display. Because it doesn't try to support Windows, it seems to be faster and its features more focused. There are various clients for IOS, depending on your use case. I use YAM Air the most, a WiFi client that lets me use a virtual keyboard on my iPad. This lets me use my handwriting keyboard on my iPad, allowing me to handwrite text directly into Scrivener Mac. Just another option for Macs that can't use Sidecar.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.6

br
brett

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:08 am Post

Wow, I knew that there had to be a better way, or ways, to accomplish what I wanted, and I also knew that my fellow Scrivenati, who are far savvier than I am, would generously supply them! I'm really grateful.

Brookter, your method is perfect for the first and usually most time consuming part of my process: when I'm taking material from my source documents (usually interviews or research docs or press releases) and moving the relevant portions into each appropriate Document Note. However, if I'm understanding your method correctly (and there's less than a 50-50 chance of that), I don't think I can use it for the second step, which requires that I have both the document I'm writing AND its associated document note open at the same time. Of course, I could easily work around that limitation by just eschewing Document Notes and putting each document's relevant source material in a separate document, maybe a child document to the one I'm writing from it. (If anyone has a better idea, like maybe a linked document or something, please speak up.) I'll likely try that method first.

Silverdragon, your idea (which I'd never have imagined, as I'm not sure I even fully realized what Mission Control really was) is more like what I was looking for, but I see that it works system wide, not just in Scrivener, so I'll have to see how that affects my non-Scrivener usage. I can't wait to give it a try!

Again, many thanks to both of you. I really cherish our little Scrivener community, which has helped me use the app a lot more productively over the years thanks to suggestions like these. In this case, you may have saved me a hundred bucks or so and some table space by avoiding the need to buy a new external display. Thanks again!

Silverdragon

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:50 am Post

As I'm intrigued by this, I decided to take a look at Brookter's method, and frankly I think it's more what you want, Brett. Here's a screenshot of my efforts:

QuickReferenceMethod.jpg
QuickReferenceMethod.jpg (334.04 KiB) Viewed 375 times

br
brett

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:54 am Post

Again: wow! I’m so impressed by your generosity, Silverdragon, at taking the time to create a detailed document that shows even someone as thick as I am how this method will achieve what I’m looking for. I didn’t realize you could open a separate window that way. (Some of your other posts have been helpful to me, too. ) Brookter’s reply has also encouraged me to explore other uses for Quick Reference, which I’ve not really used before in the Mac version. Anyway, I will definitely use this method on my next Scrivener project. And given the state of the world at the moment, I feel lucky just to have a next project lined up! Thanks again to both of you for the help. It will really pay off in much of my future Scrivening.

Silverdragon

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:05 am Post

You're welcome, Brett!

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:15 am Post

Brett,

Yes, Silverdragon (thanks SD!) has illustrated the method I was suggested perfectly. Quick Reference Panels can be very useful... It's not really made for flipping through a number of documents quickly, but for getting more views on a single document it's indispensable.

Glad it works for you and good luck with the new project.