What font do you use?

pi
picypoe
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:52 pm Post

As per title, which font do you guys use the most (when you let your thoughts out)?

Recently I had to spend more and more of my time switching between MacOS>Windows>MacOS>iOS>Windows. The font between platforms is not supported well. As such, I have to stick most of the times only with Arial - as that's the only one which won't break any text formatting/layout too much :|

What about you guys, what do you use the most?

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:29 pm Post

I make extensive use of fonts I've downloaded from https://fontsquirrel.com. They have many fonts that are free for commercial use. I install them on my Mac and use the Anyfont app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/anyfont/id821560738?mt=8) to install them on my iOS devices.

Currently I use Anonymous Pro as my writing font, and Cormorant as my output font. But that varies depending on my needs. I change writing fonts regularly to keep the text looking fresh to my eyes. Output font varies depending on the audience for my work. (Professional editors get the font they request; different genres of self-published work get different fonts.)

I assume you've read the L&L Knowledge base article on cross-platform fonts, but for readers who might not have done, it's at https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ios/using-fonts-across-platforms.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction.
  • I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.2.3

Le
Lee.Hauser
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:31 pm Post

I've always been a monospace fan, and a Windows user, and I love Courier...but not Courier New (ugly, thin, anorexic font). I use Courier Prime whenever I can. It was originally developed for John August, a screenwriter, and a Mac user as well, so I'm sure it moves between Windows and Mac just fine (I know it works well in Linux).

If I have to use a san serif font, I usually default to Arial, all the while wishing I could afford to buy Helvetica.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:07 pm Post

Fonts are not a big thing for me -- except that I have an intense dislike of Helvetica as a screen font. It irritates me no end that it seems to be the default everywhere I go. I used to use Verdana all the time, and I now use IBM Plex Mono on screen. They are about the only two fonts I've used in more than ten years, apart from the occasional experiment to see if I like another one better. Anything I print (which happens rather rarely) is in Times New Roman.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

pmullins
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 pm Post

Onscreen I tend to prefer IBM Plex Mono, Hack, or Lucida Grande.

Ji
JimRac

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 pm Post

Lee.Hauser wrote:I've always been a monospace fan, and a Windows user, and I love Courier...but not Courier New (ugly, thin, anorexic font). I use Courier Prime whenever I can. It was originally developed for John August, a screenwriter, and a Mac user as well, so I'm sure it moves between Windows and Mac just fine (I know it works well in Linux).
My current BFF font is Courier New, but there's no accounting for taste. :D When I tire of it, which I know I will, to switch things up I'll likely move to Courier Prime or Courier Screenplay.

I was using Gabriele, my favorite typewriter font, but it doesn't play well with the Win beta. :(

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Le
Lee.Hauser

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:45 pm Post

JimRac wrote:
Lee.Hauser wrote:I've always been a monospace fan, and a Windows user, and I love Courier...but not Courier New (ugly, thin, anorexic font). I use Courier Prime whenever I can. It was originally developed for John August, a screenwriter, and a Mac user as well, so I'm sure it moves between Windows and Mac just fine (I know it works well in Linux).
My current BFF font is Courier New, but there's no accounting for taste. :D When I tire of it, which I know I will, to switch things up I'll likely move to Courier Prime or Courier Screenplay.

I was using Gabriele, my favorite typewriter font, but it doesn't play well with the Win beta. :(

Best,
Jim

I wish I loved Courier New...it's built in to Windows. But I find it, as SF writer Robert Sawyer says, "anemic."

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:01 am Post

For anyone who likes monospaced fonts, this online tool is great for comparing free fonts easily:

https://app.programmingfonts.org/

Paste in some text, change fontsize and line height to taste, turn off syntax highlighting, pin fonts you are interested in then switch back and forth easily…

sc
schreibix
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:53 pm Post

If I have to use a san serif font, I usually default to Arial, all the while wishing I could afford to buy Helvetica.

thanks for the recommendation on Courier Prime. I switched and it looks great!
“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
Douglas Adams