New Novel Template

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:55 pm Post

I just completed tweaking a Novel Template that I've been developing over the past couple months while becoming proficient with Scrivener. I find it useful, so I thought I'd share it. It represents a rough amalgamation of the Writer’s Journey (Vogler), the Hero’s Journey (Campbell), Power Structure software, and Dramatica theory/software. As with everything Scrivener, it's easily tailored to your needs.
My Novel Structure.scrtpl
(762.53 KiB) Downloaded 1895 times

Updated Nov 29, 2010

Attached below is an updated version of this template which is compatible with Scrivener version 2.0. To download click on the file link below, unzip on your desktop, and import into Scrivener (file>new project>options>import template) or install in project templates folder (~library>application support>scrivener>project templates). Hope all who are interested continue to find useful.
My Journey v2.0.scrivtemplate.zip
(201.07 KiB) Downloaded 1163 times
Last edited by igregor on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- iGregor

ur
urbanguy

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 pm Post

thanks!

Aisling13

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:29 pm Post

Thank you for creating this. Çould you tell me the steps to use to import it into scrivener.
When I downloaded it, I got a message that said no thing can open this. good luck. it didn't say good luck. I"d love to be able to use what you created. Thanks so much.

Aisling :cry: :?: :?

co
coolie21
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:37 pm Post

Aisling13 wrote:Thank you for creating this. Çould you tell me the steps to use to import it into scrivener.
When I downloaded it, I got a message that said no thing can open this. good luck. it didn't say good luck. I"d love to be able to use what you created. Thanks so much.

put the downloaded .scrtpl file in

/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/ProjectTemplates

and you should then be able to select it
:)

Aisling13

Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:55 pm Post

put the downloaded .scrtpl file in

Thank you for your help. I can't find the -

/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/ProjectTemplates

and you should then be able to select it

and because i can't open the downloaded file It won't select.
dang it.

perhaps I didn't download something I need when I first downloaded Scrivener?

double dang it.

thanks again
happy whatever too....

co
coolie21

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:07 pm Post

The folder structure is Macintosh HD/Username(whatever your user account is called)/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/ProjectTemplates

There is also a Library folder at Macintosh HD/Library but Scrivener will more likely be under your username library

Download the file by clicking on the link. You should have My Novel Structure.scrtpl in your download folder. Open up the folder I described above and drag My Novel Structure.scrtpl across from download folder. You don't have to click on anything or try to open the file. Now go to Scrivener and select the My Novel Structure template :?

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 pm Post

Aisling13 wrote: Çould you tell me the steps to use to import it into scrivener.

Sure. I know two approaches.

First, place the template file into the ~/library/applicationsupport/scrivener/projecttemplate folder on your hard drive. Then open Scrivener and choose the template from the New Project Binder Assistant window (it should be in the list).

Or Second, open Scrivener. When the New Project Binder Assistant window opens select Import Template from the menu at the bottom of the window. This will install the template into the ~/library/applicationsupport/scrivener/projecttemplate folder and make it available to choose for your new project.

If still not clear, pull down the Scrivener Help Menu, choose Scrivener Help, select the Reference Guide Link, search Templates and choose the Creating a New Project topic. It's covered pretty clearly there with pictures.

Good luck.
-- iGregor

Aisling13

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:20 am Post

Your directions are great.

I will keep trying.

Poe and I are in a bit of a penultimate prelude.........

thank you

Aisling

Aisling13

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:26 am Post

Thank you for all your help.

I quite like the template.

best

Aislng

http://www.symbolicbridging.com/
http://www.aislingnano.wordpress.com/

=

Br
BrettA

Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:10 am Post

I'm using Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro, and Safari. Every time I try to download this template, it comes down as an .xml file, even when I use 'Save As'. It sounds cool, and I'd love to have a play, but I'm flummoxed. Any suggestions?

All best,
Brett

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:54 am Post

Just rename it - get rid of the .xml extension so that it only keeps the .scrtpl extension (and you'll probably need to change the "%20" codes to spaces). .scrtpl files are just .plist (XML) files with a different extension, so it seems that browsers are applying a familiar extension for some reason. But all you need to do is rename it.

Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

Br
BrettA

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:46 pm Post

Hi Keith, and thanks for this.

I forgot to say I'd already tried changing the file extension and changing the name. I also tried putting it in the project templates folder and importing it from within Scrivener, but Scrivener didn't recognise it (even after I changed the 'Open with' from within 'Get info'). Interestingly, its default was as a PBEM Game File.

Something funny going on, but someone much, much techier than I'll ever be will be home this evening. We'll have another go then.

All best,
Brett

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm Post

Make sure you have all the spaces letters right. As simple as it sounds, that one trips me up pretty often.

If everything is correct there, use text edit to open the file. You should see a bunch of XML. If that looks right, simply do a file -> save as and see if that gets it.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

wr
writerboyontour

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 am Post

Looks great. Thanks for all the hard work. I can't wait to take it out for a spin.
Anyone know how to convert my current project in to a new template without destroying things, or should I just do a cut and paste manually?

Ed
Ed Hart

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:46 pm Post

Sorry for the necro, but I just wanted to thank the OP, as well as the many helpful respondents. Just downloaded this yesterday, haven't installed it yet. I'm still reading up on the various included components (Campbell/Vogler, Power Structure, and Dramatica Theory). Very useful and informative. Many thanks. Cheers.