Alternate views for Collections

jp
jprint
Platform: Mac

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:41 pm Post

Right. I agree. So, why do you think my Project Search is also including text that does not have Keywords? What should I do to fix so that it only captures split text that has Keywords?

Thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:48 pm Post

Maybe you could provide us with a little example---maybe three binder items or so, showing a case with all three returned in project search but only one or two of them actually have keywords assigned.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

jp
jprint

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm Post

Can I send it to you directly instead of post it here?

AmberV

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 pm Post

Of course! There is a “PM” button in the left sidebar below my avatar. Or if you prefer, you can send it to our support address.
Ioa Petra'ka

jp
jprint

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 pm Post

Done. Thanks!

AmberV

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:28 am Post

Thanks, I’ve had a look at the data and I’m not seeing what you are. When I search for an asterisk in the Project Search tool I get 19 results, each of which has at least one keyword assigned.

If I change the search mode to “All” from “Keywords” then I get 38 items. I click on the binder sidebar header bar to load all 38 results into the outliner, and then sort by the Keywords column in the outliner (so as to group up all of the items with keywords) and select them, then press ⌥⌘O to open this selection into the current editor as a multiple selection, the footer bar reads 19 items—the same as when I search for all items with keywords.

To explain the attached demonstration that I returned to you:

• The binder sidebar is set to search for all items with keywords (19).
  • The editor has been split horizontally:

• In the top editor is the multiple selection I created with the above described process.
    • In the bottom editor is the Search Result view, obtained by activating that editor and then clicking on the binder sidebar header bar.
Ioa Petra'ka

jp
jprint

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:58 am Post

Ok, I think I cracked it. Seems, for some reason, the Outline mode hadn't selected / referred to the 19 results.So, in the future would you suggest that I just click on those result and hit select all? Or is there some other approach / shortcut you'd suggest?

So, for there it seems like a good way to proceed is to save the * search as a collection, then select that * collection when compiling and proceed from there, correct? Just want to be sure I'm on the right cause before asking more questions about that... Thanks!

AmberV

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:23 am Post

Seems, for some reason, the Outline mode hadn’t selected / referred to the 19 results.

It won’t do that by default. Search results are primarily displayed in the binder sidebar, so you have to load them into the main editor specifically (where you can then view them using any of the editor’s view modes, such as Outliner).

So, for there it seems like a good way to proceed is to save the * search as a collection, then select that * collection when compiling and proceed from there, correct?

That would be a handy one to save, yup. As to whether you’d want to compile that directly, that’s up to whether you want the list sorted by keywords or not. Compile will just use the collection order, which for searches will always be the binder order.

So if you want a sorted collection to compile from:

1. First load your * keywords search collection into the sidebar.
  2. Click the binder header bar to load it into the outliner and sort by keywords.
  3. Select All from sorted outliner, and use the Documents ▸ Add to Collection ▸ New Collection menu command.

The neat thing here is that Scrivener uses the sorted selection to populate the new collection list. From there you can fine tune the sorting by hand and then compile that collection.

Going forward, you could manually keep this collection up to date with new documents, or regenerate it from scratch using the above checklist (only instead of creating a new collection in the third step, reuse the existing one). Which approach to take will depend on how much effort you put into fine tuning it.
Ioa Petra'ka

jp
jprint

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:28 am Post

AmberV wrote:
  1. First load your * keywords search collection into the sidebar.
  2. Click the binder header bar to load it into the outliner and sort by keywords.
  3. Select All from sorted outliner, and use the Documents ▸ Add to Collection ▸ New Collection menu command.

The neat thing here is that Scrivener uses the sorted selection to populate the new collection list. From there you can fine tune the sorting by hand and then compile that collection.

Going forward, you could manually keep this collection up to date with new documents, or regenerate it from scratch using the above checklist (only instead of creating a new collection in the third step, reuse the existing one). Which approach to take will depend on how much effort you put into fine tuning it.

Thanks very much for your help with this. I think I follow what you're suggesting, but you lost me on your suggested approach in the last paragraph. Can you explain a bit more what you mean? I'd certainly like for the collection to regenerate, but I'm not clear on the fine tuning I'd have to do to enable the kind of recurring Keyword organization. Thanks again!

AmberV

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:41 am Post

Sorry, I’m not quite sure what point you’re asking for clarification on. :)

If there is some confusion over the word “regenerate”, that is simply shorthand for redoing the three-point checklist at a future date.
Ioa Petra'ka

jp
jprint

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 am Post

AmberV wrote:Sorry, I’m not quite sure what point you’re asking for clarification on. :)

If there is some confusion over the word “regenerate”, that is simply shorthand for redoing the three-point checklist at a future date.

No problem. I guess what I'm wondering is if I can just use the same * for a Keywords collections (which I can save as "Keywords Collections"), and then select those files in the binder, and then just Compile that collection -- as opposed to re-do the whole three part process / checklist.

Thanks!

AmberV

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:08 am Post

Yes, that is the question I was answering in the previous post:

As to whether you’d want to compile [the keyword search collection] directly, that’s up to whether you want the list sorted by keywords or not. Compile will just use the collection order, which for searches will always be the binder order.

So if you want a sorted collection to compile from… [checklist follows].
Ioa Petra'ka

jp
jprint

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:40 pm Post

Ok, I think I follow... So then how would you advise me to compile from there? Just got to Compile and just select Current Selection? Or are there other steps you'd suggest that ensure that I'm able to compile with the Keywords organized in the way that I've set them up in the Outline, i.e,, in descending alphabetical order?

Also, right now I've only attached one label to text files (I'm trying to do this in small steps), but I assume there's a way to organize the Compile so that the label shows up in the Keyword organization. Is there something I need to do in the Formatting section of Compile to make that happen?

Finally, would you suggest a particular file format to make it easier to read and navigate the file? Thanks again!

jp
jprint

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:35 pm Post

By the way, I've tried to follow the steps you outlined in this post to figure out how to Compile drafts with the Keywords organized in the way that I've set them up in the Outline, i.e,, in descending alphabetical order. But so far I haven't had luck; none of my selections have produced Keyword or Label headers. I'm sure I've overlooking some crucial steps -- both in the Formatting and Section Layout sections in Compile. Please advise when you can... Thanks!

Also, as I said, I'm happy to user any other file format to achieve these results I'm seeking. Thanks again...

jprint wrote:
AmberV wrote:You would have to compile to get a result like that. Have a look in the Help menu, where the list of placeholder tags is documented. Meta-data like the Label are listed under “Document Variables”. These are codes that can be added to your Formatting compile option pane, for the type of document that would print these sections. The most useful way of doing that is in the “Section Layout…” button. For example you can put " (<$label>)" into the suffix field, to have it printed after the title itself (or even without a title, though in that case you might just want the label but itself). You can style the prefix/suffix fields separately, back in the Formatting mock editor:

AmberV

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:11 am Post

Ok, I think I follow… So then how would you advise me to compile from there? Just got to Compile and just select Current Selection?

That’s one way to do it, if the outliner sorting is satisfactory.

Finally, would you suggest a particular file format to make it easier to read and navigate the file? Thanks again!

That’s the kind of thing that you’re going to want to experiment with yourself. I couldn’t tell you which format is going to be most pleasing/efficient for you to work with. :) For myself, I’d use MultiMarkdown, but that’s because I have whole workflows built around that.

As for printing keyword and label information, it would be easier if you posted what you are trying to do, as a sequence of steps and descriptions of your settings. Keep in mind my earlier advice, that when you are compiling via a collection or selection, everything will be on “Level 1”, so your Formatting pane needs to have these things applied to level one.
Ioa Petra'ka