Working on Mac and PC - my PC says can't open Mac doc

em
emmissima
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:21 pm Post

Hi
So I've used Scrivener on my PC for years. Recently upgraded to Mac (and Scrivener 3) where I easily opened all my PC docs saved on dropbox.
Problem comes when I try to open docs on my PC. Says docs saved on the latest version of Scrivener, and to check help for updates. When I do that my PC Scrivener says it has the latest version.
Can you help?
E

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 pm Post

If you're using Scrivener 1 for Windows––it can't directly communicate with Scrivener 3 for Mac. However, it can indirectly by using Scriv 3's export as Scrivener 2 Project feature. That and other options:
Working Between Platforms

Those users who own both the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener and who work between them may be wondering about the best upgrade route for them given the gap between the releases of Scrivener 3 for macOS and Windows. Such users have three options:

You can continue using Scrivener 2 for macOS and Scrivener 1 for Windows. (Anyone who buys Scrivener 3 will find that their Scrivener 3 licence can also be used in Scrivener 2.9, which can still be downloaded here.)

You can upgrade to Scrivener 3 on macOS and use the Scrivener 3 for Windows beta, which is available on our forums. Please note that at the time of writing, Scrivener 3 for Windows is very much a work in progress, so you will want to compile your work in the Mac version. This option is only recommended for those who back up regularly and don’t mind putting up with beta quirks in the Windows version.

You can upgrade to Scrivener 3 on macOS and use its Export > as Scrivener 2 Project feature to create a copy of the project that can be opened by Scrivener 1 for Windows.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/intro ... crivener-3
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.

em
emmissima
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm Post

scshrugged wrote:If you're using Scrivener 1 for Windows––it can't directly communicate with Scrivener 3 for Mac. However, it can indirectly by using Scriv 3's export as Scrivener 2 Project feature. That and other options:
Working Between Platforms

Those users who own both the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener and who work between them may be wondering about the best upgrade route for them given the gap between the releases of Scrivener 3 for macOS and Windows. Such users have three options:

You can continue using Scrivener 2 for macOS and Scrivener 1 for Windows. (Anyone who buys Scrivener 3 will find that their Scrivener 3 licence can also be used in Scrivener 2.9, which can still be downloaded here.)

You can upgrade to Scrivener 3 on macOS and use the Scrivener 3 for Windows beta, which is available on our forums. Please note that at the time of writing, Scrivener 3 for Windows is very much a work in progress, so you will want to compile your work in the Mac version. This option is only recommended for those who back up regularly and don’t mind putting up with beta quirks in the Windows version.

You can upgrade to Scrivener 3 on macOS and use its Export > as Scrivener 2 Project feature to create a copy of the project that can be opened by Scrivener 1 for Windows.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/intro ... crivener-3

Thank you so much!