Thinking outside the box...Is anyone using Scrivener as a Project Management Database?

bz
bzawislak
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 pm Post

Has anyone used Scrivener as a Project Management Database?

I've been looking for a solution to manage project documents, notes and emails with a way to compile a formated final summary once the project is completed. This way, I'd have one .pdf document for myself and others to refer to down the line instead of having to manually create a summary or having to hunt for project files.

I know Scrivener is built to be used by writers, however, I can't find another solution which allows such control over how a document is compiled. Also, no other application can match the ease in which different pieces/types of information can be organized in Scrivener. I've tried using all the usual note apps such as One Note, Evernote, Apple Notes and Bear, but always come across limitations.

I'd love to hear the communities thoughts on using Scrivener as a Project Management Database.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:28 pm Post

Just remember that all those other snippets of information, if they end up in the Research part of the Binder they can’t be included in compile.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

bz
bzawislak

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 pm Post

lunk wrote:Just remember that all those other snippets of information, if they end up in the Research part of the Binder they can’t be included in compile.

I didn't realize that. Thanks.

ly
lyceum
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 am Post

Take a look at Devonthink Pro Office. It'll really put hair on your chest. Several of the internal scripts will take care of most of your requests. :wink:

lunk

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:34 am Post

Another alternative is Curio.
https://www.zengobi.com/curio/
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ma
matsgz

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:53 am Post

I haven’t used Curio, but from what I’ve read about it, it looks as Scrivener can be used in a similar way.
lunk wrote:Just remember that all those other snippets of information, if they end up in the Research part of the Binder they can’t be included in compile.

That’s definitely a limitation, but isn’t that a limitation shared with other project managers, i.e. that there is no way to “compile” documents in different formats?
Scribo ergo sum

Hu
Hugh

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:04 am Post

mats wrote:I haven’t used Curio, but from what I’ve read about it, it looks as Scrivener can be used in a similar way.

I've used both. Scrivener is of course best described as a writing tool. Curio is best described as an electronic whiteboard. (Given the harmonious way in which many macOS apps can work together, I prefer if I can to use "the tool for the task" - but maybe I'm just odd that way!)
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

lunk

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am Post

matsgz wrote:it looks as Scrivener can be used in a similar way.

Scrivener can, of course, be used in many ways that L&L never thought of when they made Scrivener, but like Hugh...

Hugh wrote:I prefer if I can to use "the tool for the task"

... I prefer to use specialized apps for the task they are designed for. If there is no good specialized app, then I might try to bend an existing app into an alternative use, or try to find an alternative use.

Jaysen

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 pm Post

Hugh wrote:maybe I'm just odd that way!)

not just that “way” and not maybe.

I can’t believe Vic-k let this sit with no comment for so long...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:36 pm Post

For Scrivener 3, that's no longer a limitation. You can include the entire contents of a document, no matter where in the binder it's located using the <$include> tag. See section 10.1.5 in the Mac Scrivener manual to use it (if you have V3 for Mac) or to get a preview of what's to come in V3 for Windows.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Hu
Hugh

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:45 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
Hugh wrote:maybe I'm just odd that way!)

not just that “way” and not maybe.

I can’t believe Vic-k let this sit with no comment for so long...

I think I walked into that one with my eyes closed... :D
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'