What is your favorite word processor to use with Scrivener?

What is your favorite word processor/page layout app to use with Scrivener?

Apple's Pages
25%
Microsoft Word
10%
FrameMaker
No votes
InDesign
4%
Nisus Writer Pro
11%
Mellel
19%
Mariner Write
No votes
Open Office/NeoOffice
13%
Some version of TeX
11%
Something else
8%

Total votes: 80
fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:48 am Post

AndreasE wrote:Everything after the first draft I do with Papyrus, a German text processor and the only one with a spellchecker that really works.

Andreas. The Duden spellchecker that is part of Papyrus is also available for OpenOffice 2.x for the Mac (not yet for the upcoming 3.0 edition) and can be made to run in NeoOffice, too.

Franz

su
suavito
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:08 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:NeoOffice is, although slow and not really handy (not at least due the not-Mac-behaviour of its cursor keys), still undispensible while working with my editors: It's the only non-MS-application that is able to hide the fact that I do not own Ms-Word at all.

Same here. But the good news is that OpenOffice.org 3 RC1 (Aqua) is VERY promising. E. g., moving per word via alt-arrow works! Hurray! Then again, shortcuts for italics and such have to be set manually for whatever reason.

http://de.openoffice.org/product/info.html

I'm using the OS spellchecker and I don't think it is THAT bad. Yes, it has moods and tends to underline the first word of a text wether it is spelled wrong or not. Maybe it just wants to wave "Hello! I'm here and active!".

In my native German my spelling is pretty okay and I use the spellchecker more as a typochecker. Because of that it is more important to me that I have a universal spellchecker and not a single one in every text program I use. Their default vocabulary naturally is limited and it is annoying having to add a word to a couple of dictionaries.
Author’s Preface

I wrote this book in less than two hours. I think I’ve made as much of it as one could in such a short time.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk

Pr
Prion

Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:14 am Post

jnailen wrote:
AndreasE wrote:Everything after the first draft I do with Papyrus, a German text processor and the only one with a spellchecker that really works.

I've been intrigued by Papyrus and have played with it. Have you ever used it's built-in relational database? If so, how is it? Seems made-to-order for variable data publishing but I can't find anyone who uses it for that.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff,

Papyrus is a solid piece of work, which I appreciate the more I use it. One of the best features is that you can save a hybrid format (proprietary *.pap format AND pdf) which you can exchange with other people who will be able to read the pdf part of it. Anyone using Papyrus will also be able to use the same document as a Papyrus document, modify it etc. No more keeping track of which version of a document corresponds to which pdf that you created two weeks ago. Very handy and very stable also, even when working with very large documents.

The database works seamlessly for letters, the addresses of which it can pull from a database (unfortunately not from Apple's Addressbook).
I started developing a custom database in it but soon realized that it 1) would outgrow the possibilities offered in Papyrus and 2) this database did not need integration with a wrd processor and thus I migrated development to a real database program. I have to say that I liked what I saw of the database part. It does come with several examples. The most impressive is a customer database, which I understand is used by the devs to keep track of their own customers.
HTH
Prion

jn
jnailen

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm Post

Prion wrote:
jnailen wrote:

I've been intrigued by Papyrus and have played with it. Have you ever used it's built-in relational database? If so, how is it? Seems made-to-order for variable data publishing but I can't find anyone who uses it for that.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff,

Papyrus is a solid piece of work, which I appreciate the more I use it. One of the best features is that you can save a hybrid format (proprietary *.pap format AND pdf) which you can exchange with other people who will be able to read the pdf part of it. Anyone using Papyrus will also be able to use the same document as a Papyrus document, modify it etc. No more keeping track of which version of a document corresponds to which pdf that you created two weeks ago. Very handy and very stable also, even when working with very large documents.

The database works seamlessly for letters, the addresses of which it can pull from a database (unfortunately not from Apple's Addressbook).
I started developing a custom database in it but soon realized that it 1) would outgrow the possibilities offered in Papyrus and 2) this database did not need integration with a wrd processor and thus I migrated development to a real database program. I have to say that I liked what I saw of the database part. It does come with several examples. The most impressive is a customer database, which I understand is used by the devs to keep track of their own customers.
HTH
Prion

Thanks Prion,

I wonder if it can be used for variable-data publishing, by which I mean more than just mail-merge so that you can customize ebooks or PDFs for each customer with variable data applicable to them so you have a different customized version for each individual customer?

Jeff
Cheers,
Jeff Nailen

Pr
Prion

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:47 am Post

Jeff,

I have not tried it but as long as you don't expect this to be a 5 second point and click exercise and are comfortable with basic scripting in general, I am rather confident that it might.
Don't take my word for it though, they have a 30 day demo and are rather understanding if you ask for an extension.

Prion

na
nanikore

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:37 am Post

I think this has been noted before but... when not in Scrivener, I generally use BBEdit, as I mainly need just the text for digital distribution. I barely use a word processor now, and then only at work, and that (Word 2007) gets sent to PDF for distribution, so even then, no .doc and no paper.

I always thought the name summed it up 'word processor', no hint of creativity or fun. I guess it all went downhill after WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS.

Just quickly on the topic of word processors, I tend to stick to RTF as it's a safe, but useful format. On the Mac, if I need a text formatted document doing, I tend to fire up TextEdit or Pages. I used to use Office 2004, but iWorks 08 is more my level. I'm not anti Microsoft, I just get what works for me.
--
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1245384
Yes, I know I misuse and abuse brackets in my posts (!).