What is your favorite word processor to use with Scrivener?

What is your favorite word processor/page layout app to use with Scrivener?

Apple's Pages
25%
Microsoft Word
10%
FrameMaker
No votes
InDesign
4%
Nisus Writer Pro
11%
Mellel
19%
Mariner Write
No votes
Open Office/NeoOffice
13%
Some version of TeX
11%
Something else
8%

Total votes: 80
jn
jnailen

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:17 pm Post

and why?

Just taking an informal poll/survey.

Thanks for participating!

Cheers,
Jeff

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:34 pm Post

My "something else" answer is LyX. Granted, it uses some form of TeX beneath the surface, but unless you want to get nitty gritty with it, that really is inconsequential. Scrivener -> MMD/LaTeX export -> LyX is a very nice way to make PDFs if the default LaTeX export is not quite enough.

For things that need to be something other than TeXish or PDF, Mellel is the only other word processor I can really abide by, since it is also within the philosophy of semantic style usage over format usage.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

br
brett

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 pm Post

Bean.

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:20 am Post

I don't use any, but against the day -- it could come -- when I once again have to deal with fussy printouts, an editor who won't settle for an .rtf file, a director who insists on a format I can't cobble up in Scrivener or CeltX, I'll be very interested in the comments you get.

Also will be useful when -- it probably will come -- editorial intransigence provokes me to try self-publishing.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

jn
jnailen

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:42 am Post

AmberV wrote:For things that need to be something other than TeXish or PDF, Mellel is the only other word processor I can really abide by, since it is also within the philosophy of semantic style usage over format usage.

Hi Amber,

I think I remember you from the FrameMaker and/or Mellel forums.

What do you mean by 'semantic style usage' vs. 'format usage'?

Cheers,
Jeff
Cheers,
Jeff Nailen

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:09 am Post

jnailen wrote:What do you mean by 'semantic style usage' vs. 'format usage'?

I was going to ask that question, but I chickened out. :(

You`re obviously braver than I am. :?

Welcome aboard Scrivener Jeff :wink:
Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

sp
spinningdoc

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:27 am Post

There’s a difference between ‘favourite’ and ‘most frequently used’ though, for most of us.

My clients are all PC based, and use Word for virtually everything. So I use Word for Windows a lot when I’m on site, which is why it is far from my favourite. Word’s biggest quality, and biggest failing, is that you can beat it into doing almost anything textular. The problem is that mostly you do have to beat it.

I also use Nisus Express, rather than Pro, and Bean, as a text editor. Have we had a ‘my favourite text editor’ thread recently?

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:42 am Post

Favourite = most used: MS Word (for the reason others give: the world uses it)

Favourite = most liked: Nisus Writer Pro

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:00 pm Post

Nisus Writer Pro. I started with Mellel many moons ago, and was getting used to the interface, but the deal-breaker for me was its inability to import Word .docs in Chinese ... I had to open them in TextEdit and save them out as RTF, then import that into Mellel. I was also not too keen on having everything in a proprietary format.
Then I came across Okito Composer, which would import Chinese .docs directly and it looked good for development. In due course, the developer, Charles Jolley, sold it to Nisus and joined Nisus himself, so it became Nisus Writer Express and then Pro was developed. I keep thinking I ought to give Mellel another try, but basically, there currently isn't much point for me.
And when I want to do more serious layout, I use InDesign — unfortunately still CS1 — and do it in that, but I haven't yet taken anything straight from Scrivener into InDesign.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

jn
jnailen

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:17 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:Nisus Writer Pro. I started with Mellel many moons ago, and was getting used to the interface, but the deal-breaker for me was its inability to import Word .docs in Chinese ... I had to open them in TextEdit and save them out as RTF, then import that into Mellel. I was also not too keen on having everything in a proprietary format.Mark

Hi Mark,

Yea, I agree with you. Mellel is rock-solid stable-it hasn't crashed on me in years-and I love its outliner, however I too don't like the proprietary format. The inability to do undos after saving is also a drawback. That said, I still think it's one of the best. I voted for Apple's Pages, Nisus Writer Pro, and Mellel, altho I like the open standard that OpenOffice/NeoOffice uses. They each have their strengths and weaknesses don't they? Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers,
Jeff
Cheers,
Jeff Nailen

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 pm Post

Pages. I like the clean interface and its display of searches in a left sidebar. It's a snap for doing page layout for short documents with images or display type. Smoothly imports .doc or .rtf files, and exports to .doc or .pdf, the latter with live links. The Track Comments feature is also great, even when working with editors who use only Word. I'm using the iWork '08 version and bet versions to come will be only better. I have not used any MS products for over a year and don't miss them at all. (Keep a copy of OpenOffice 3, if needed).

St
Studio717

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:14 pm Post

I had to say Word. I still have the 2004 version and I have enough macros set up to do a lot of stuff with a few keystrokes, that I won't be giving it up any time soon.

I have Pages and like it, but tend to use it for things that I am not using a standard setup for. A recent bundle deal brought me Mellel, but I haven't tried it yet. I also like some of the smaller ones - Bean, WriteRoom - but a lot depends on my mood and the complexity of the document I'm working with. Straight text can be done in any of them and I'm usually happy.

I tried Open Office on my EeePC, but found it frustrating, though to be fair that could have been the fault of the computer (and its tiny keyboard and screen) and not the software.

Which one would I love to be able to use? WordStar! :P I loved the cursor controls in that program and still miss them. (I have set up a few in Word via macros - another reason I will not be moving to the 2008 version.)

tannie

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:31 pm Post

Studio717 wrote:I tried Open Office on my EeePC, but found it frustrating, though to be fair that could have been the fault of the computer (and its tiny keyboard and screen) and not the software.

If you only want a word processor I can recommend Abiword. I have completely removed Open Office from my EeePC because it just didn't work that well on that tiny screen. It looked bulky. Abiword opens files quickly and hasn't crashed on me yet (it can open .doc as well as .rtf)

I do have Ubuntu installed, removed the original OS, so you may experience differences.

Tanja

AndreasE

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:30 pm Post

Everything after the first draft I do with Papyrus, a German text processor and the only one with a spellchecker that really works.

My everyday writing (letters etc.) I do with Pages. Just because it's beautiful, has a lot of possibilities to fiddle around with and does the job.

NeoOffice is, although slow and not really handy (not at least due the not-Mac-behaviour of its cursor keys), still undispensible while working with my editors: It's the only non-MS-application that is able to hide the fact that I do not own Ms-Word at all.

jn
jnailen

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:17 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:Everything after the first draft I do with Papyrus, a German text processor and the only one with a spellchecker that really works.

I've been intrigued by Papyrus and have played with it. Have you ever used it's built-in relational database? If so, how is it? Seems made-to-order for variable data publishing but I can't find anyone who uses it for that.

Cheers,
Jeff
Cheers,
Jeff Nailen