New writing font for monospace lovers...

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 am Post

https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/releases

By the way, for anyone that uses homebrew, their cask system has a bunch of fonts that are simple to install, so if you want e.g. fantasque, victor, jetbrains and cascadia, type this into terminal:

Code: Select all

brew cask install font-fantasque-sans-mono  font-victor-mono  font-jetbrains-mono font-cascadia

I use this to install a bunch of fonts (and most of my apps) automagically on fresh installs of the OS, easy to work into a script that sets up a machine. Homebrew will also update these for you when there are new versions available, without any fussing! 8)

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:19 am Post

nontroppo wrote:https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/releases

By the way, for anyone that uses homebrew, their cask system has a bunch of fonts that are simple to install

Ooh, nice! (Both on finding the Cascadia github source -- I still forget that Microsoft is doing that now -- and on the tip for homebrew.)

I need to see if some if there is an equivalent for Chocolatey for Windows.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 am Post

devinganger wrote: -- I still forget that Microsoft is doing that now --

Hey Devin, yeah it is hard to adjust to the new Microsoft :lol: -- there was a lot of negative press when they bought Github, but personally I think they have made a real and significant effort towards open-source way beyond lip service. WSL2 looks as if it will be really great, but even having WSL and even Ubuntu in the app store is something that was unthinkable even a few years ago. Being able to add Windows support to my Scrivener+Pandoc post-processing workflow will be much easier now! And Visual Studio Code, although it is a bit "heavy", is so wonderfully configurable and has so many great extensions it has become my favorite coding editor.

I use chocolately a bit (I have some scientific software dependencies on Windows, and I'm so used to things like apt or homebrew), but perhaps with my weaker knowledge of Windows and complete ingnorance about powershell means I haven't got it quite as integrated into my workflow as brew (which also installs on Linux)...

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:56 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:I use chocolately a bit (I have some scientific software dependencies on Windows, and I'm so used to things like apt or homebrew), but perhaps with my weaker knowledge of Windows and complete ingnorance about powershell means I haven't got it quite as integrated into my workflow as brew (which also installs on Linux)...

I should take a closer look at what it takes to maintain a package in chocolately -- having Scrivener available as one of the essential utilities I install would be interesting!
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes