Quitter + Scrivener

Sean Coffee

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 pm Post

Having returned to Scrivener, at long last, after a couple of years using Ulysses, I encountered only one small hiccup: the Don't Open A Project on Two Machines issue. Given that I work on two computers, one at home and one in my office, and given that I sometimes walk away from one or the other machine intending (then forgetting) to come back, I found this a little irritating.

Then I remembered a little app called Quitter, made by Marco Arment, the guy behind Overcast and Instapaper. All Quitter does is automatically quit a given application after a prescribed period of inactivity. It takes a couple of seconds to set up, and it works like a charm. I set Quitter to close Scrivener after half an hour of non-use, and now the two-machines thing is a non-issue.

You can download Quitter at https://marco.org/apps and it's free. Highly recommended.

SC

P.S. Keith, just wanted to say congrats on the iOS app! It's so good, I'm thinking about selling my Macbook and going with iPad Pro as my main computer! Thanks so much for the hard work! Happy to be home.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:25 pm Post

MR COFFEE!!!!

how the heck are you?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:42 pm Post

Sean Coffee wrote:Having returned to Scrivener, at long last, after a couple of years using Ulysses, I encountered only one small hiccup: the Don't Open A Project on Two Machines
Here we go again! :shock: Scriv's decks'll be awash with Portlander peculiar expletives :oops:
S'pose I'd better say welcome back Sean, incase he gets touchy, and starts trolling :(
Welcome back Sean. :lol:
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Sean Coffee

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:54 pm Post

Jaysen & Vic

Hello! Nice to be back, and to see that you're both still posting here! When I hopped back on, I noticed that I've been a member here since 2007! Nine years of your shenanigans. Looking forward to more!

S

Jaysen

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:23 pm Post

We are a bit less... obvious these day. Little mice are less present when the ship is crowded. But we we do come out to play... EVERYONE KNOWS!

In looking at the "member since time" you are the most mature of the trio. I am the newest. Vic-k is the confusedest. I think we can pick up right were we left off :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

ma
marcoiac
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:59 pm Post

Sean Coffee wrote:Having returned to Scrivener, at long last, after a couple of years using Ulysses, I encountered only one small hiccup: the Don't Open A Project on Two Machines issue. Given that I work on two computers, one at home and one in my office, and given that I sometimes walk away from one or the other machine intending (then forgetting) to come back, I found this a little irritating.

Then I remembered a little app called Quitter, made by Marco Arment, the guy behind Overcast and Instapaper. All Quitter does is automatically quit a given application after a prescribed period of inactivity. It takes a couple of seconds to set up, and it works like a charm. I set Quitter to close Scrivener after half an hour of non-use, and now the two-machines thing is a non-issue.

You can download Quitter at https://marco.org/apps and it's free. Highly recommended.

SC

P.S. Keith, just wanted to say congrats on the iOS app! It's so good, I'm thinking about selling my Macbook and going with iPad Pro as my main computer! Thanks so much for the hard work! Happy to be home.

Thank you!!!!!!! That's my only issue with Scriv, this thing that you have to remember to quit or you get all these messages that give you anxiety. :) Quitter is just what I needed. Thanks so much!!!

fg
fgrieser

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 am Post

Hi.
Thanks for the pointer to Quitter.
I am looking for a Windows 10 tool that does the same trick with ScrivWin.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Franz

Sean Coffee

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:10 pm Post

Sorry, Franz, I have no idea.

fg
fgrieser

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:53 pm Post

No problem, Sean. Thanks anyways.
A search through Google didn't bring any reasonable solution, either.