Sharing my Name Generator files

je
jenb
Platform: Windows

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:29 pm Post

It may sound silly, but coming up with names stops me dead while writing, so this is a great help.

This is not silly at all. This is one of my biggest issues too--I end up not making enough secondary characters to fill my world because then I'd have to name them.

And it absolutely doesn't have to be just for people names, though going into it you should make sure you label the category in a way that reminds you what it is for, and choose what works best (probably a Last Name format) for what output you want.

Jen
--
Jennifer Brinn

See me at: http://www.jennifer-brinn.com/
Follow me as I get lost on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jenbrinn

I also run the Cat Vacuuming Society Writers Group of Northern Virginia

DL
DLThurston

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:01 pm Post

BethCutter wrote:It may sound silly, but coming up with names stops me dead while writing, so this is a great help.

Considering all these lists started when I was working on character sketches for a new novel and thought "I want to give some characters names with specific ties to Virginia," no, I don't find is silly at all.
--DL Thurston
Blog | Twitter | Name Generator files: Windows Macintosh

DL
DLThurston

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:33 pm Post

Three new lists today, all focused on mid-19th Century America. Finally have some good female names thanks to the 1850 census, and a much longer list of names from the Civil War thanks to a rather morbid source, the records of the infamous Andersonville Prison. Latter still male only. Hard finding a concentrate list of either women's names, or names of both genders, from the Civil War, but that 1850s census list should help with that.
--DL Thurston

Ar
Arthur Laurent
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am Post

Hi! What a great service! However, when I download the files to my (Mac), Scrivener doesn't recognize them as files it can import.

What format do they need to be in for Scrivener to import them?

The only two choices I get when I go to "Save As" are "Web Archive" and "Page Source". Do I need to copy and paste them into a Word-type doc or a CSV?

Thanks for your help.

Arthur

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:20 am Post

If you go to DL Thurston's web page, then Control-Click on a link to a name list, you will get a contextual menu asking what you want to do. Download the Linked File is probably the best option (it might be a little different if you're not using Safari). Then if you read the Scrivener manual (hint, hint!) you will find it tells you how to use the Edit > Writing Tools menu item to add a new list of names to the Name Generator. It's a little hidden away. Hence the need to read the manual!

Cheers, Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Ar
Arthur Laurent

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 am Post

Whenever I try this, I see the file as grayed out (thus unable to import into Scrivener). I know there's a way to do it. I just don' know what it is!

Arthur

(By the way, it's not that hidden... <g> )

mb
mbbntu

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 am Post

On p. 285 of the manual, it says: "make sure to name the file with a “.csv” extension" (before you try to import it, of course). Perhaps that might be the problem.

Cheers, Martin.

BTW, I just tried it myself with the US 1812 first names csv file -- no problem at all.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Ar
Arthur Laurent

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:08 pm Post

Thanks, (Martin, especially) for all your pointed help. The lists imported, with a lot of extraneous material.

Where does Scrivener keep these files? How do I go about editing the individual entries in each file? (I don't think "Civil War" is that good a first name! <g> )

DL
DLThurston

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:32 pm Post

These were formatted based on the instructions within Scrivener for Windows. If the formatting for these files is different for Scrivener for Mac, I'd love to know the proper formatting for the latter, and I'll work to making lists for both versions.

I'll also go back and make sure the earlier lists which I saved as .txt files are resaved as .csv files if that's all the Mac version will accept (Windows accepts both, which is why some of the first files I created are .txt).
--DL Thurston

mb
mbbntu

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:02 pm Post

The manual for the Mac version says:

You can add your own custom lists. Name lists should be formatted so that all names are on a single line, and each name is separated by a comma, like so:

name1,name2,name3,name4,name5

It might be easiest to produce these lists in a spreadsheet on a single row, and export as a CSV file.

I don't know where they are kept (I don't write fiction, so I don't use them) but I would hazard a guess in the Application Support folder inside Library.

Martin.

DL
DLThurston

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:09 pm Post

Wow. Wish I'd looked this up beforehand, but it didn't occur to me that the Windows and Mac versions might expect different formatting for name lists. I'll grab the Mac manual this weekend, see what it wants, and start the process of creating Mac versions of the files. Though I don't understand how first name gender identification is handled in the mac version if it just wants a raw list of comma separated names.

And my apologies to anyone who grabbed what I didn't know were Windows-only files and imported them to Mac. Based on what the Mac version is looking for, there's a lot of extraneous material in there.
--DL Thurston

DL
DLThurston

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 pm Post

Alright. Between Arthur and myself we've reformatted most of the files to Mac format. They've now got their own page here. Big thanks to everyone pointing out that the formats are different then helping change them.
Last edited by DLThurston on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
--DL Thurston

mb
mbbntu

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:02 am Post

You might want to check the link you posted -- it's giving a 404 error.

Looks like a good resource, and very generous to make it available.

Martin.

DL
DLThurston

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 am Post

Oops. All fixed. Thanks for the heads up.
--DL Thurston

Th
Thannisan

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm Post

I am new to all this and successfully imported the additional name files (so generously given) but I am not sure how to access them for use within the name generator. I looked at the manual but it didn't help. Could someone kindly tell me how to actually use the imported files within scrivener. Thanks.