Editing text

ap
apablasa

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:43 pm Post

I have a tiny gripe that I hope you can solve. And I wonder if anyone has brought this up. It has do with editing. When I have my cursor at the beginning of a word and hit the option delete key to erase that word, it does it just fine, but it leaves an extra space, forcing me to hit the delete key again to erase the space. Is there something I'm missing or is this a bug.

Thanks again.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 pm Post

I need this writ in big letters, methinks: :)

Scrivener uses the standard OS X text system, so all text editing behaviour is defined - i.e. programmed - by Apple, not me.

Maybe an OS X power user can help, though.

All the best,
Keith

popcornflix

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:10 pm Post

apablasa wrote:When I have my cursor at the beginning of a word and hit the option delete key to erase that word, it does it just fine, but it leaves an extra space, forcing me to hit the delete key again to erase the space.

Not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, but here's an idea:

Use QuicKeys and make a macro. Build a sequence that will trigger opt-del + del to fire when you type opt-del. It should fix it.
.:popcornFlix:.

ap
apablasa

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:12 pm Post

I'm going to try it right now. thanks.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:51 am Post

One way to do it is to simply have the cursor located before the space directly preceding the word you wish to delete. If $ represents the cursor:

Code: Select all

This is a$ word deletion test.

Pressing Opt-delete at that point will delete 'word' and the space before it, resulting in:

Code: Select all

This is a$ deletion test.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles