Setting up a Structured Story-Development Environment

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:07 pm Post

That template was something I posted back in 2007 (how the time flies). I see I have the original .scrptl file still among my templates, but I get the same sort of error when I try to open it. Sorry.

--gr

[UPDATE: Updated template for Scrivener 2.x is posted a few hops down.
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1241&p=156242#p156320]
Last edited by gr on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pk
pking36330
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:00 pm Post

I did notice it was posted some time ago, hence my whine about a top level forum listing ALL the templates (project level, character sheets, location sheets, etc.) that Scrivener users have generated and are willing to share. I've picked up many useful tools from the community that I believe really add something to this already wonderful piece of software. You put a good deal of time into developing the template you posted and its a shame that even though I love and use Scrivener, I hadn't been aware of it until just now.

I wonder if there is a way to pull apart the old .scrptl file to get at the rtf documents you had in it with the PowerStructure content? Do you still have an active project with the content you could 'Save As...' and then strip out your personal writing to save as a template in the new .scrivtemplate format? I hate to ask but your concept of PowerStructure methodology in Scrivener is VERY appealing to me.

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:22 pm Post

My suggestion would be to track down the old version 1.x of Scrivener for Mac (I believe it's still available), import the template and then create a new project from it. Quit version 1, and then open the new project with version 2; let it convert the project to the new version 2 format, then Save As Template to create a Scrivener version 2 compatible template.

I have no idea if the version 1.x software will run on recent macs, but it can't hurt to try.

The old version of scrivener is available on the support page: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/support.php
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 pm Post

Yeah, it runs, and I occasionally use it when I have to help someone out who has yet to upgrade. We don't officially support it (and there are a few features that are known to be broken), but for opening an old template and making a project out of it that can be updated to the 2.x format, there shouldn't be a problem using the old demo.

In theory if you put the old template format into your `.../Application Support/Scrivener/Project Templates` folder it should work and be added to the Misc section, but perhaps here and there, particularly old ones do not work. I just gave it another whirl with an old template I made back in 2008-ish, and was able to create a new 2.x project off of it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:33 pm Post

Here is that old template updated to Scrivener's 2.x template format -- for anyone else who might wander by looking for it.

--gr
Attachments
Structured Story Development.scrivtemplate.zip
(78.07 KiB) Downloaded 461 times

pk
pking36330
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:50 pm Post

Thanks again for your trouble to update the template to version 2.x and post it here. It imported perfectly and I've enjoyed looking through the old Power Structure Q&A used to invoke the bones of a story.

Once again I will beseech the Forum owners and/or Moderators to create a top-level forum titled "Scrivener Templates" to host forum-user generated project templates and document templates. Every entry should have a single attachment, the template. And if it can't be a top-level forum, how about a sticky entry at the top of some already established Forum like this one where all templates could be posted.

Shoot, run a quarterly contest decided by a user poll on the most useful template submitted. Good quality well structured templates in a easy to find library in this Forum would do nothing but increase the adoption rate of writers on the fence about switching to a Scrivener writing environment.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 pm Post

I'm not sure if a whole separate forum is necessary for something like that, since this forum right here is what that sort of stuff is meant for. We already have two very similar forums, one for tips and one for usage scenarios. A third that is a usage scenario in concrete form---a template---seems excessive. Searching this forum for topic titles containing "template" with the first-post only option turned on in a pretty good way to find stuff.

We did try the sticky thread for a while, but there were only ever around half a dozen templates posted, and it eventually became a mess as a large majority of them were redacted at the author's request. Ultimately it probably would have been better all along to have separate threads for each template. I've never been a big fan of the 100 page monster thread idea.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles