Setting up a Structured Story-Development Environment

Pi
Pipibluestockin

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:01 pm Post

janra wrote:In the finder, select the file and press cmd-I (get info). One of the pieces of information shown is what program is associated with that file. You can change that to Scrivener here - and you may want to tell the system to open all files of this type with Scrivener when it asks.

I believe the template files have to be placed in ~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener though, and you don't open them directly.

janra, thank you!

I still couldn't change the file association (tried that already). But never mind, it didn't matter once you pointed me in the correct direction of where to put the thing.

There are a couple of steps missing, which may be obvious to everyone else, but they obviously weren't obvious enough to me, so:

1. The file path actually needs to be ~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/templates

Note: you might have to create that last folder if you haven't mucked about with the templates before.

2. To get at the template just create a new document via scrivener.

ptram
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:11 pm Post

Greg,

Thank you very much! I've been waiting for a new version of Power Structure for years, and this may be the response to my long wait.

Working with your template is a bit different than working in PS, and obviously there aren't some of the features of PS (like parallel index cards and climax graphs), but it seems to me that using Scrivener with your template is, in general, more comfortable than dealing with the clumsy writing interface of PS.

Clumsy interface. Ever liked, in PS, the "full screen" mode with text spread across the whole 19" screen?

Paolo

Lord Lightning

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:58 am Post

Keith or gr will up these soon. The versions here were set out as Scrivener working models and that doesn't quite fit the Template idea. They were my working project files. The new versions will be in the right form and will fit your monitor better.

:D
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:04 am, edited 7 times in total.
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

Lord Lightning

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:03 am Post

Keith or gr will up these soon. The versions here were set out as Scrivener working models and that doesn't quite fit the Template idea. They were my working project files. The new versions will be in the right form and will fit your monitor better.

Last edited by Lord Lightning on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lord Lightning

KB
Site Admin

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:06 am Post

When these templates reach their final state - that is, after a little user feedback - if the creators are willing, please feel free to e-mail me a copy and indicate that they could be included in the new Extras folder that comes on the DMG. I would be happy to include user-created templates with the Scrivener DMG package if the creators are willing.

When e-mailing me the template, just provide the name of it and a brief decription of what it does, so that I can include that information in a readme file inside the Extras folder.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Lord Lightning

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:37 pm Post

Last edited by Lord Lightning on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lord Lightning

ti
tim

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:54 pm Post

Holy structure, LL, that's quite a template. Many thanks for your generosity.

Tim
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

Lord Lightning

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:20 pm Post

Keith or gr will up these in a day or two. The versions here were set out as Scrivener working models and that doesn't quite fit the Template idea. They were my working project files. The new versions will be in the right form and will fit your monitor better.

Last edited by Lord Lightning on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:30 am, edited 9 times in total.
Lord Lightning

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:41 pm Post

Lord Lightning wrote:You have to DROP it onto Stuffit Expander to open it. It probably will not open by double clicking it, but try it anyway. It did work for me after downloading and double clicking.

Keith, any chance you could disable that zip virus scanner that is messing up our archives? I don't think zip viruses are going to be too much of a problem around here.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ti
tim

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:52 pm Post

I'm not having any trouble with the zip files.
They expand automatically when I download in FireFox.

Tim

[Thanks again LL]
8)
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

KB
Site Admin

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:07 pm Post

Hmm, I don't think the forum is doing anything there. The zips download and expand fine for me via Camino.

AmberV

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:21 pm Post

Hmm, yes it is working for me now too (I was using Firefox both times). Before it was not working. LL, did you compress them with StuffIt or using the contextual menu in Finder?
Ioa Petra'ka

Lord Lightning

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:24 pm Post

Deleted
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Lightning

AmberV

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:27 pm Post

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was having troubles with the ones I uploaded earlier. I was using the version of StuffIt that comes bundled with Path Finder -- who knows, that might have been the problem. The files work fine before I upload them, but not after I upload and then download -- which is what led me to believe the forum software was "cleaning" them somehow.
Ioa Petra'ka

ja
jalpuna

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:54 pm Post

I had no trouble opening this. I just double clicked the zip. WOW! The template is great, and since I'm new to scrivener, this really helped me learn even more about the software.

Also, this template is PACKED with superb info!

Thanks sooooo much for sharing it!