Using Scrivener with Dropbox

es
especiale
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:59 pm Post

It seems that the software Textilus (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textilu ... 18639?mt=8) works fine with Scrivener.
Have you tried this software?
Thank you for your feedbacks.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:07 pm Post

I'll have to take a look at the app itself. It doesn't really say what it means by "Scrivener Sync" and there is no web site for it that I can find. The closest I could find to information about it was an article written a while back discussing the name change from "RichText Edit".

In a general comment though, I would say unless you *really* need rich text editing, the plain-text editors are probably going to be more solid as complete software, given that they can spend their development time on features rather than rich text. That's just a rule of thumb though, and if they are using the HTML editing engine then they could get a rich text system built fairly easily and focus more on features. I'll have to get back with you.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ma
marcoiac

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:22 pm Post

I looked into it and wasn't much impressed. I think using Writer is better (but yeah, that's plain text)

AmberV

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm Post

Hmm, interesting. I can't test it out because I'm getting a Dropbox error when I try to link it to the app, but it does have a "Link with Scrivener" selection choice. Given that this leads to a Dropbox screen, I wonder if it does do minimal .scriv package parsing? If anyone knows it would be great to hear, because I can't get it to work.

At any rate it does appear to be using the HTML text engine, so they have had a chance to code in some decent features. For 99c it's certainly a bargain. Even if it doesn't do what we would probably all want it to do. :)
Ioa Petra'ka

Bd
Bdillahu
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:18 pm Post

Here's the info from the README on that app, if it helps...

Bruce

How does Scrivener work with Textilus?

You can sync your Scrivener documents with Textilus using the Dropbox cloud service:

1. You need to install Dropbox and have a Dropbox account in your computer.

2. Tap the "Link with Scrivener" option in the Textilus tools menu and link with the service using your account. A new local folder named "__ Scrivener __" will be created in your documents picker view. In the cloud side, a folder with the path "Apps/Textilus/Scrivener/Draft/" will be created too. Please, don't delete that remote folder.

2. In Scrivener, choose the "File -> Sync -> with External Folder" option in the File Menu. A panel will be opened.

3. In that panel, choose your "Shared Folder" using the path from the "Apps/Textilus/Scrivener/Draft/" folder created in step 2. It should be similar to "/Users/PeterPan/Dropbox/Apps/Textilus/Scrivener/"

4. Choose the Rich-Text (RTF) format for external Draft files.

5. Click Sync and you're all set

Those steps need to be done once per project. Once they are done, you can access the project in Textilus on the iPad.

You have to sync manually your Scrivener project with the option "File -> Sync -> With external folder now" every time you want to update your changes to the Dropbox folder and Textilus "__ Scrivener __" folder.

Textilus supports only the "Apps/Textilus/Scrivener/Draft" Dropbox folder. It doesn't sync with files in subfolders or other directories in your Dropbox account.

Textilus automatically deletes empty folders so if you don't have any document in the "__ Scrivener __" folder, it will be removed from the document picker view and Dropbox will be Unlinked. Our advice is to have always a document into that folder.

ma
marcoiac

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:30 pm Post

It doesn't work because Scrivener creates a subfolder called Draft in the Draft folder created by Textilus. Also, the Notes folder cannot be synced. I don't understand why they can't implement Dropbox folder access as in Writer, or Byword and many other apps

AmberV

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 pm Post

Thanks, I for some reason couldn't find the help file. Okay that's weird, that's a lot of process involved. Or to put it another way, I don't see why coding a UI process for attempting to automate the folder sync layout is any less work than implementing a freeform folder and file navigation system where one can then just peruse their Dropbox account and load Scrivener generated RTF files from whatever projects they please.
Ioa Petra'ka

ma
marcoiac

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:41 pm Post

AmberV wrote: Or to put it another way, I don't see why coding a UI process for attempting to automate the folder sync layout is any less work than implementing a freeform folder and file navigation system where one can then just peruse their Dropbox account and load Scrivener generated RTF files from whatever projects they please.

Exactly!!!!

is
istara

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:29 am Post

I have got Textilus and Scrivener syncing working quite well (and with the added complication of running two DropBox accounts on my Mac!) It has been blissful for Nanowrimo-on-the-go.

I did run into the two-Drafts-folder issue. I had to initially allow Scrivener to sync inside the Drafts folder, as it insists on an empty folder.

Then I manually moved everything up a level and got rid of the now-empty extraneous Drafts folder.

I think I then possibly had to resync and change the address in Scrivener - I can't fully remember - but it's working perfectly now.

I believe the entire issue would be resolved by Textilus not creating a Drafts folder, just apps/textilus.

an
ang

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 am Post

I just found this app today, it looks pretty good. Must see to use. But native synchronization with Scrivener is always good to take. Therefore delete the Draft folder created by Textilus on Dropox and let Scrivener create the folder Draft and all is good.

ma
marcoiac

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 pm Post

istara wrote:I have got Textilus and Scrivener syncing working quite well (and with the added complication of running two DropBox accounts on my Mac!) It has been blissful for Nanowrimo-on-the-go.

I did run into the two-Drafts-folder issue. I had to initially allow Scrivener to sync inside the Drafts folder, as it insists on an empty folder.

Then I manually moved everything up a level and got rid of the now-empty extraneous Drafts folder.

I think I then possibly had to resync and change the address in Scrivener - I can't fully remember - but it's working perfectly now.

I believe the entire issue would be resolved by Textilus not creating a Drafts folder, just apps/textilus.

I gave it a try but it works only up to a point for me. If I make a change with textilus (say a new file) and now I want to sync those changes back to scrivener, I get a whole new draft folder in the textilus/draft folder. Nothing new appears in the Scrivener project. I guess I could import the new file in Scrivener, but what if I make changes with textilus in existing files? I don't see how this could possibly work. Out of curiosity, anybody has a workable solution that can be decently described and reproduced? I don't see it.

EDIT: I take it back. It does work, as long as you sync with the option 'sync with external folder now' in scrivener. Obviously, you can only sync one project, and forget your notes folder. Still, rather suboptimal for me.

Ji
Jim K

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 am Post

I have been trying Textilus on my iPad with Scrivener and was having difficulty getting it to sync correctly. They emailed back the following suggestions, which straightened things out with the sync, as well as a note that their next update will include multiple Scrivener project access and other goodies:

You can sync one Scrivener project with Textilus. Please, follow these steps:

1. Set up plain Dropbox sync in Textilus, so that the Apps/Textilus folder exists
2. In Dropbox, add the Scrivener subfolder to the Apps/Textilus folder manually
3. In Scrivener, open the project you wish to sync, then set up external folder sync with the Apps/Textilus/Scrivener folder. This is because Scrivener absolutely insists on creating the Draft folder itself.
4. In Textilus, set up Scrivener sync

Anyway, we are finishing a new Textilus update (1.4.1) where you will find a better, faster and easier Dropbox access to ALL the folders and subfolders. It will be Scrivener multiple-project compatible and it will support all Scrivener folders and subfolders too.

ma
marcoiac

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm Post

Jim K wrote:I have been trying Textilus on my iPad with Scrivener and was having difficulty getting it to sync correctly. They emailed back the following suggestions, which straightened things out with the sync, as well as a note that their next update will include multiple Scrivener project access and other goodies:

Anyway, we are finishing a new Textilus update (1.4.1) where you will find a better, faster and easier Dropbox access to ALL the folders and subfolders. It will be Scrivener multiple-project compatible and it will support all Scrivener folders and subfolders too.
[/quote]

They just updated it and it does seem to be working well. I only did some quick testing. From what I can tell, it's flawless and flexible now. May be best iOS option until Scrivener for iOS comes out. BTW, Textilus is iPad only, not universal.

T-
T-Max

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:54 pm Post

This may have been covered already, but I couldn't find it. Hopefully a quick question: My current workflow is Scriv file in Dropbox editing from iMac and occasionally a MacBook -- no problems there following standard best practices. Now I started using External Folder sync, editing occasionally on the iPhone and it seems to be working just fine going back and forth between the two macs and plain text editing as long as I cross my 'i's and dot my 't's all my machines are keeping up with what I'm writing. The Scriv file in my DB folder syncs to Plain Text folder that's also on Dropbox.

In the past, I believe that it was so that the external sync of a Dropbox housed project would only work on the one computer that originally set it up, isn't that correct? I'm currently using the latest beta of Scrivener -- has the sync behavior been changed in some of the latest updates?

I just wanna make sure I'm not diluting myself into thinking my workflow is good while I'm introducing some whackiness that rears it's head later.

Thanks!

cs
csaiman

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:46 am Post

I work on two computers and something went awry with the synching of the files through google drive.
I tried being very careful not to open the project before drive synchs, but when I opened on computer #2, the work I did last on computer #1, was gone. Then when I went back to computer #1, it was gone there as well. It seems to have taken what was on computer #2 and overridden!

The good news is that I looked on google drive and it seems to have two "conflict" files that correspond to the times that problems occur.

The problem is that when I attempt to download it, i get the following error message from Scrivner

Add .scriv file extension to package?
The project package 'Downloads' has no file extension. Scrivener for OS X requires that the project package has the .scriv file extension.

In order to open this project, Scrivener will add this file extension to the project now. (This will not affect your ability to open the project on other platforms, where the .scriv package will still appear as a regular folder.) Continue?

I then press continue and get the following error

The document “[doc title[Conflict 1] (1).scrivx” could not be opened.

The file system would not allow Scrivener to add the .scriv file extension to the project package, so the project cannot be opened. Please check your permissions.

I am terrified as this represents quite a bit of work. If anyone can help me I wold be much obliged.

Thank you