Windows Users: Do you recommend Scrivener?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:41 am Post

steveshank wrote:I don't have a problem syncing. I have a problem syncing from the non-existent Android app to the windows app. I use Joplin and write in MD and sync to my joplin in Windows. But, then I have to get my stuff out of Joplin and into Scrivener and there is no MD import. I end up combining some notes and then exporting to HTML and then importing from html into Scrivener. This is not as good or easy as it would be if there were an Android app.
Steve, I don't know if this will help with your particular scenario, but in the post below a user lays out a process that leverages Sync with External Folder and allows them to use Scrivener with a markdown editor. It seems to me they are using Scrivener as sort of a backend for structuring/storing the project in conjunction with MD tools for editing. It's Mac Scriv and an iOS MD tool , but the idea should work just as well with Win Scriv and an Android MD tool.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336393#p336393

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Ru
RuffPub
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 am Post

steveshank wrote:I don't have a problem syncing. I have a problem syncing from the non-existent Android app to the windows app. I use Joplin and write in MD and sync to my joplin in Windows. But, then I have to get my stuff out of Joplin and into Scrivener and there is no MD import. I end up combining some notes and then exporting to HTML and then importing from html into Scrivener. This is not as good or easy as it would be if there were an Android app.

If you'll have a little (lot?) of patience, one of the advantages of L&L using the QT framework is cross-platform development. There's a post somewhere that indicates L&L have the core of an Android app up and running already and that an Android app will be on the horizon. I have no connection to L&L, but I'd assume the developers will be focussed for some months on bugs within V3 Win before they get on to Android.

Personally I'd rather a native ARM64 Win app first(Windows users more inclined to pay for stuff than Android) and I think when ARM64 Win is finally released there will be a lot more effective, price competitive Win tablets/convertibles from a list of major suppliers. (The current MS ARM Win Surface device is an overpriced slow, 32bit only dog)

st
steveshank
Platform: Windows

Sun May 02, 2021 1:15 am Post

JimRac wrote:
Steve, I don't know if this will help with your particular scenario, but in the post below a user lays out a process that leverages Sync with External Folder and allows them to use Scrivener with a markdown editor. It seems to me they are using Scrivener as sort of a backend for structuring/storing the project in conjunction with MD tools for editing. It's Mac Scriv and an iOS MD tool , but the idea should work just as well with Win Scriv and an Android MD tool.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336393#p336393

Best,
Jim

thanks jim, but they lose me at:
8. Sync the external folder back to Mac Scrivener for compiling if needed

It is exactly that which I cannot do effectively and so need to export to html and then import into Scrivener to get close to the formatting I want. Scrivener will import MD as TEXT, so I could use another tool to actually create stuff, but then what's the purpose of scrivener? Take the block quotes above. In MD it is simply:
> stuff in the block quote.

How can I get my
> Stuff in block quote

To convince Scrivener I want a nicely formatted line on the left, indented block quote?

I think MD is easier to write with on a tablet, actually, easier to write with in any case, but the issue isn't syncing so much as having a section of a subchapter written in MD get into Scrivener with formatting in the correct place.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm Post

If you would like to sing the praises of applications other than Scrivener, please do so in the Software and Development subforum. This forum is intended to help people who are "Using Scrivener." (Hence the name.)

(Obsidian-related posts moved. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=66567)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team