How I learned I needed to learn.

Mc
McNole
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:10 am Post

Scrivener is my preferred writing support software for both small and large projects. This has not always been the case. Many years ago I was of the opinion that its low price meant that it couldn’t be as functional as the reviews portrayed. At that time I made a half-heated attempt with an outdated unofficial version to prove I was right. After approximately 10 minutes of use I could find no real benefit in switching from what I already knew. As a PC user, the fact that the iOS version was so much more refined may have added to my dislike.

Professionally, a large part of my job was the documentation of the smaller part, actual work. In private, I enjoyed writing poetry, short stories and opinion articles. For both I utilized a popular office suite, which met my every small project need, until one day it didn’t. That day was when I had an idea for a fictional short story I wanted to tell. The idea proved to large for what I had always done, for as time progress the amount of accumulated reference material grew.

Before I even knew what a world building project was, I was deep into one as I tried to apply the only tool-set I had. I decided to take a break, When I returned months later I found that I had misplaced much of the technical research material. I tried to continue with what I had and it turned into an ever greater mess, and I learned that I need better tools. I spent days searching for that "something else", which inevitably turned into weeks of research. In those weeks I continually found myself looking at Scrivener.

I read everything I could, and slowly as the weeks were replaced by months I started to understand how much I didn’t understand. Talent and persistence were no longer enough as I started to see writing as a skilled trade. Now I was ready for support software and being a rational person, I finally had the realization that there is probably a reason "everyone" but me was using Scrivener. I installed the trial software for my preferred OS and over the next few days I learned the basics. I didn't finish the trial period before I purchased a licence.

Instillation was simple and the online video tutorials, FAQ’s, and the online software guide provided by Literature & Latte revealed an intuitive tool that is more than functional. With time, one simply gets how it works and ignores what they don't get until they need it. It is the complete package in my eyes and I now know that it would have been very useful for many past projects. In all fairness it does have a few limitations. But they are minor and greatly offset by its overall functionality.

Scrivener 3 is available for iOS. Scrivener 1 is available for Windows users. Those who purchase it now get free upgrades to version 3 once released.

I also picked up Scrapple at the same time to capture notes and ideas. So far I have used it for everything but what I purchased it for. The website says that you can click and drag notes into Scrivener. I have not tried it but the process is simple and should work. It is drag and drop...how hard can it be.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/yiwrite/how-i-learned-that-i-needed-to-learn/106139480745891/