Latest Catalina beta doing something visually weird to Scrivener

ma
matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:15 pm Post

You wanted me to check with "something more along the lines of the main DEVONthink window, Xcode even—windows with a lot of subsections within them". Don't have any of those. The closest I could get was Evernote, that behaves exemplary.
Scribo ergo sum

ma
marcoiac
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:08 am Post

BTW, heard that Catalina goes live in less than two weeks. If you are not on it, don't upgrade yet. Def not ready for prime time. If you use iCloud Drive (not for Scriv, for other apps), don't even get close to Catalina. Still such a mess. I thought the latest build fixed the issues, but it did so only on one machine out of three I use.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:48 pm Post

Okay, now that I do have a functional testing setup, the good news is that I can reproduce this easily enough. For me, the main editor view itself is locked to a specific size, probably the size it is when the project was loaded. So if you resize the window normally at all, the editor doesn’t resize with it (neither to contract or expand). Full Screen is just another way of doing that, and is not integral to the problem. It’s a little more complicated than that (toggling binder and inspector on and off reveals more clues into what is going on).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

lo
locuscoeruleus

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:38 pm Post

I'm seeing this still, and just updated to beta 9. any ideas how to fix or limit this behavior? Yes, I know it's my own fault for installing a beta... I did this to myself....

AmberV

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:24 pm Post

Yup, still on β10 as well. It doesn't appear to be something you can get around, short of using different hardware. It might be an external monitor, or an iMac may not display the problem, but obviously that's not much of a solution if you don't have either of those.
Ioa Petra'ka

lo
locuscoeruleus

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:30 pm Post

Same prob on b10 with external monitor. On the upside, this compelled me to purchase the ipad version, so I've got that going for me.

AmberV

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:07 pm Post

Hmm, okay, thanks for that note. I wish I could figure out why it shows up only some of the time! For me it doesn't take anything more than a fresh blank new test Mac account with a first launch of Scrivener in default settings, opening the tutorial, and hitting the Zoom to Fit Screen command in the Window menu---or just any resizing at all.
Ioa Petra'ka

lo
locuscoeruleus

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:18 pm Post

Unfortunately updating to the real catalina and making a new account didn't work. I'm on a laptop but it happens whether or not I am on an external screen or the laptop, even with the laptop closed.

sc
scottyweeks

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:25 pm Post

On the official Catalina release, installed yesterday. I'm getting the same thing. It's as if the rendering region of the window decides on an arbitrary width and the rest of the workspace just renders black/background. If I resize the left edge of the window it does not resize the content along with it.

al
alexott80

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:43 pm Post

Hi, I installed the official version of Catalina today. I immediately started having the same issue with Scrivener. It's worth than on the screenshot from the last post. The editor just takes one corner of the screen. It's very difficult to work with Scrivener like this.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:21 pm Post

I just recieved a couple of emails from other developers regarding Catalina. According to one, Apple usually (used to?) provide advanced notice on when their major OS updates were coming, allowing them to finalize updates and release on or before the Mac OS release date. They didn't do that this time.

This means that many pieces of software, Scrivener included, are probably still being worked on for full Catalina support. I for one, am waiting until December for my upgrade, by which time there will probably be a Catalina.1 release, and most of my apps will be updated.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

su
suavito

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:51 pm Post

Some additional visual weirdness: The editor panes look all okay, split view too, at least on a single monitor.

But for "Show Collections" and "Show Invisibles" the word "Show" is displayed over the icons. Even if the toolbar is set to icon only.

When you hide the inspector you cannot show it again, neither by the "i" icon in the toolbar nor the menu. Setting it to "show" and closing and opening the project brings the inspector back.

Nothing really bad so far.
Author’s Preface

I wrote this book in less than two hours. I think I’ve made as much of it as one could in such a short time.

Eugen Egner, Androids from Milk

AmberV

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:38 pm Post

You can close and reopen the project to have it reset to the window’s actual size, in most case. So obviously the best approach is to avoid changing the size of the window as much as possible.

Needless to say, we do not recommend upgrading to 10.15 immediately. There is scarcely ever a real need to do so on day one to begin with—they are at best a beta level OS and will be for some months. This is how Apple rolls. Obviously they broke something with split views that we need to fix, and will do, but until that can be fixed it’s a bit inconvenient using Scrivener! You will be just as well served by sticking with 10.14 or an even stabler previous versions, for a while. (Honestly, 10.15 feels a bit like 10.13 did. Myself I might even skip it entirely and wait for 10.16, like I did with that one.)

rdale wrote:According to one, Apple usually (used to?) provide advanced notice on when their major OS updates were coming, allowing them to finalize updates and release on or before the Mac OS release date. They didn’t do that this time.

Yeah, it’s actually stunning to me how irresponsibly Catalina was released. We knew things were getting close, but to wake up one morning and find it’s already launched, while we’re still in the middle of fixing their last minute bugs is deeply concerning to my mind. It is not at all professional behaviour on their part, and it only serves to reinforce my prior remark. I still have a number of programs from the very few I have installed on this test partition, that have major issues of one form or another. We clearly weren’t the only ones caught off guard.

But for “Show Collections” and “Show Invisibles” the word “Show” is displayed over the icons. Even if the toolbar is set to icon only.

Argh, confirmed.
Ioa Petra'ka

AmberV

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:52 pm Post

When you hide the inspector you cannot show it again, neither by the “i” icon in the toolbar nor the menu. Setting it to “show” and closing and opening the project brings the inspector back.

Are you sure it isn’t coming up underneath the edge of the window? This resizing bug means that the interior of the window doesn’t match the exterior, so to speak. I’ve run into situations where splits can get lost. But I have no seen any evidence that they do not open, or that the inspector is nonfunctional after using it once or twice.
Ioa Petra'ka

An
Andrew Searle

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:19 pm Post

suavito wrote:Some additional visual weirdness: The editor panes look all okay, split view too, at least on a single monitor.

But for "Show Collections" and "Show Invisibles" the word "Show" is displayed over the icons. Even if the toolbar is set to icon only.

When you hide the inspector you cannot show it again, neither by the "i" icon in the toolbar nor the menu. Setting it to "show" and closing and opening the project brings the inspector back.

Nothing really bad so far.

I too am having display problems with Scrivener not filling the whole window after upgrading to Catalina (I felt ~I needed to so that things like tasks were compatible with my iPhone). Any idea how quickly Scrivener will produce a fix for this, its quite frustrating?