Bug: Opening a Web Page Crashes Scrivener

Ka
Kalus
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:09 pm Post

Hi,

I've submitted this as a crash report, but I wanted to mention it here in case anyone has experienced this issue and is searching for a thread:

I've saved a few web pages to the research folder, and, when clicking them, Scrivener immediately crashes to desktop.

Running Scrivener 3.0.9
Tested on Mojave and Sierra.

Thanks!

KB
Site Admin

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:27 pm Post

I'm not seeing any such problems myself, and nothing in the beta has changed with regard to web pages. Could you please provide a sample project, or an example of a URL that causes a crash?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 pm Post

I’ll need a little more information, as there are no issues over here. I might not be doing things the same way however. If I select several WebArchive files in the binder then the result is to display them using the current group view mode (corkboard/outline). This is where you get a crash? Or do you mean you are selecting them one by one and trying to load them in the editor.

Definitely check a variety of URLs first, the simpler the better (a good dirt simple test is to load a Wikipedia article and click the “Printable article” link in the sidebar).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ka
Kalus

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:11 pm Post

Specifically, the issue happens with clicking on individual web pages to open them in the editor. I am able to view the cards in corkboard mode.

I created a new project and tried to link the web pages that were giving me trouble—which worked fine, so it's something having to do with the existing scrivener file, but I'm not sure what.

I've linked to a copy of the project I was working in, although I've removed most extraneous files. Try clicking on any of the Web Page links. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qa3grcce5rlbq5t/AACH74F5ubU_dN8zqMqXrJWQa?dl=0

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 pm Post

I created a new project and tried to link the web pages that were giving me trouble—which worked fine, so it’s something having to do with the existing scrivener file, but I’m not sure what.

Something you could try, in that case, is holding down the Option key on the File menu and selecting “Close Project and Clear Interface Settings…”.

But if this trimmed down version of the project crashes for you it may not be as simple as that. I had no problems opening this project and flipping through the different archived pages, in 10.14.0 with factory default settings.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ka
Kalus

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:36 am Post

Actually, that worked perfectly! Thanks for clearing that up, Amber! Didn't know there were hidden options. Glad it's not a bug.